BPL Community Profile

Denis Hazlewood (redleader) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Luxury-Light Luke on the Llano Azul
About Me 75 years old. Started backpacking in the late 60's. Raced small sailboats for 20 years until I moved to Lake Tahoe in '83. Started backpacking again and upgraded my gear shaving 20lbs off my back. Began CARRYING A GOOD THING TOO FAR, a workshop for beginning backpackers in 1987. Hiking mostly in the northern Sierra, Lost Coast and Southern Cascades. Was introduced to lightweight backing by my friend and hiking partner, Donn Nibblett, and have experimented with alcohol stoves and, most lately, an ultralite titanium mulit-tool potty trowel.
CityPetaluma
StateCA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Denis Hazlewood

Showing 171 - 180 of 1222 | Page: 1 ...9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ...123

Forum » Thread

Picking fly-specks from the pepper
When placing the pack beneath your hammock, do you orientate the pack with the top toward your head, or feet? And, how do you keep from stepping on the pack when getting in and out of the hammock?...

In Philosophy & Technique » How to store pack at night?
September 12, 8:25am

Re: Re: (cannot be blank)
If you carry a LuxuryLight you may keep the cylinders in the tent, or bivy. The frame usuallly stays outside. LuxuryLight Cylinders in my ID Bivy, with plenty of room left over for me.

In Philosophy & Technique » How to store pack at night?
September 11, 7:33pm

Re: Re: the great single wall tent debate
I second "Ashley": www.tarptent.com Enough said!

In GEAR » the great single wall tent debate
September 11, 7:17pm

Re: Bay Area BPL Sept. Dardenelle Lake Hike
Kenny, That's a great hike. You also have the choice of a loop ending down the Upper Truckee canyon. Don't forget your pole and the aluminum foil, I think there's a fish or two in ...

In Hiking Partners / Group Trip Announcements » Bay Area BPL Sept. Hike
September 10, 8:07pm

Re: Cone
Dan, It is the Packfreather stove and it works almost as well as the standard Caldera Cone stove. There are so many variables in actual field use I can't tell the difference. The Packfeather...

In GEAR » Evernew 1.3L Ti Pot - Dimensions Please
September 09, 7:02pm

Re: Evernew 1.3L Ti Pot - Dimensions Please
Mine measures 5.86 inches in diameter. If you're using an alcohol stove I'd recommend a gapposis of 3/8" and no more than 1/2". The windscreen should be as tall as may be easily...

In GEAR » Evernew 1.3L Ti Pot - Dimensions Please
September 09, 4:59pm

Re: The Colin Fletcher Easy Chair
I use a Sling-Light. 18ounces of pure bliss. I don't carry the head rest, just slouch and use my jacket. Every time I don't bring it I wish I had. Photo from Sling-Light ad. (Blon...

In GEAR » The Colin Fletcher Easy Chair
August 31, 9:20pm

Re: Re: Push out the warm air in the morning
I always roll my bag from the foot. Gets the air out with the least amount of "romping" on the baffles. Also, when inserting the rolled bag into the stuff sack, insert the zippered end ...

In GEAR » down bag care tips
August 31, 8:28pm

Re: ULers Carrying an Extra 20-40 lbs - WHY?!
I'm 70 years old and weigh about 40 pounds more than my doctor's age/height/weight chart says I ought to. I'm in pretty fair shape cardio-vascular wise and can hike, comfortably, at ab...

In Philosophy & Technique » ULers Carrying an Extra 20-40 lbs - WHY?!
August 30, 9:21pm

Re: Pack Fitting
LuxuryLite Procedure: 1. Put on hip-belt and tighten. (I keep the front of the belt right on top of my navel.) 2. Hoist pack and place shoulder straps over my shoulders. 3. Lift pack fram...

In GEAR » Id like to take a poll...
August 04, 11:48pm

All Reader Reviews by Denis Hazlewood

Showing 1 - 8 of 8 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Complete Walker by Colin Fletcher
Brett, Is he any worse than RJ? I mean Corn Pasta? Did you ever try Corn Pasta? You should have seen all the Corn Pasta in the drop boxes at PCT mail drops just after he published the Corn Pasta b...

In Books and Media
February 14, 11:05pm

Martin Backpacker Guitar
James you're right-on for every point. I have a late '50s Martin 18G-00. It's a dream, but no way I'd haul an axe that heavy (and that valuable) into any canyon. My Backpacker too s...

In Miscellaneous Products
January 25, 6:20pm

LuxuryLight Modular External Frame Backpack
I had carried my LuxuryLight external frame backpack for the most of the 2005 season when I slipped and slid 8 feet down a creek bank. The pack frame took my 200 lb. load plus the 26lbs. in the pack....

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
January 24, 3:42pm

Big Sky Products Evolution 2P
On December 6, 2005 I ordered my Big Sky Evolution 2P tent. It was finally delivered on December 14, 2006. It took 373 days of badgering Bob Molen and I had just about given up hope of ever getting ...

In Shelters - Double Wall Tents
January 19, 6:03pm

Keebler Fudge Peanut Butt. filled cookies (like Reese's)
These get my 5/5 rating also. They are absolutly a stealth food. If the others find out you've got them you'll have to share. Peanut Butter and Chocolate. The only thing better is more.

In Foods - Energy Bars, Gels, and Drinks
January 15, 2:51pm

Sling-Light Chair w/ body and kneck rest
In 1986 I was wandering around in a local outfitters store and saw my first Sling-Light. I bought one with the optional headrest. The first time I carried it was on the Tahoe-Yosemite trail from Mee...

In Miscellaneous Products
December 15, 12:43pm

Big Sky International
On December 5, 2005 I ordered, and paid for, an Evolution 2P tent from Bob Molen. Bob has given me many promised delivery dates, the most recent on November 29, 2006, when Bob said he had the tent. ...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
December 05, 12:47pm

LuxuryLite Gear Modular Frame Pack
I have just finished two backpack trips using the LuxuryLite Pack. Mine is the all carbon fiber model, with three extra large cylinders. I'm still learning how to pack the cylinders but I think ...

In Backpacks - External Frame
September 01, 4:34pm