BPL Community Profile

Roger Caffin (rcaffin) - BPL Staff

My Locale Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
About Me Research Scientist. Been walking all my life, mainly off-track - we don't have 'trails' here, and I always go with my wife. Summer and winter, lowland and highland, Australia and Europe. Forced into UL gear by heavy packs and increasing age. :-)
Example Gear List at http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/caffins_4_month_gear_list.html

BPL email: roger@backpackinglight.com
CitySydney
StateNSW
CountryAustralia
My Website URLhttp://www.bushwalking.org.au/FAQ/

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Roger Caffin

Showing 171 - 180 of 9323 | Page: 1 ...9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ...933

Forum » Thread

Re: Using a tarp to prevent condensation in a bivy?
That can be a bit of a myth. If the surface of your bivy bag reaches condensation temperature, then you will get wet, tarp or no tarp. However, a tarp overhead will reduce the amount of IR radi...

In GEAR » Using a tarp to prevent condensation in a bivy?
June 15, 5:53pm

Re: UL compass suggestions
The baseplate is just a shade larger than what I use and my wife uses. A slightly shorter baseplate would be fine. Anything bigger or more fancy is just excess weight imho. I know lots of more fan...

In GEAR » UL compass suggestions
June 14, 3:21pm

Re: Odd wear on shoes
Hi Don The top photo is really diagnostic imho. My guess is that the edge of the sole of the other shoe at the region of the ball of the foot is brushing against the fabric sometimes. The dirt m...

In GEAR » Odd wear on shoes
June 14, 3:17pm

Re: Re: Re: Canister Stove - Snow Peak Giga Power GS-100 or Litemax GS-120 (Kovea Supalite)?
> My Litemax seems to know only 1 speed! Try cleaning the needle valve and the jet. Disassembly needed. Cheers

In GEAR » Canister Stove - Snow Peak Giga Power GS-100 or Litemax GS-120 (Kovea Supalite)?
June 14, 2:53am

Re: Steripen or Steristraw for two weeks per year in Sierras w no wish to buy a new one until 3 yrs pass?
With all due respect, you are way off the planet. A Steri Straw is meant for use with distilled water, or clean tap water. Read their instructions. No-where do they mention trying to use it for t...

In GEAR » Steripen or Steristraw for two weeks per year is Sierras w no wish to buy a new one until 3 yrs pass?
June 14, 2:51am

Re: Canister Stove - Snow Peak Giga Power GS-100 or Litemax GS-120 (Kovea Supalite)?
I suspect the aluminium thread on the Litemax will die a LOT faster than the brass thread. Imho, the GS(T)-100 has been a 'Gold Standard' for stoves for a long time. OK, it is a bit heavy n...

In GEAR » Canister Stove - Snow Peak Giga Power GS-100 or Litemax GS-120 (Kovea Supalite)?
June 13, 6:32pm

Re: Odd wear on shoes
My biased but very strong opinion: Never EVER try to alter how you walk. That way lies disaster. Trying to 'correct' this with OTC orthotics or replacement insoles has a very high risk of...

In GEAR » Odd wear on shoes
June 13, 6:27pm

Re: I have one week to figure out mosquito protection for my family
I have used tulle on my ultra-light summer tunnel tent. It stopped mosquitoes. Cheers

In Make Your Own Gear » I have one week to figure out mosquito protection for my family
June 13, 6:20pm

Re: Power Felt will feel cooler
TANSTAAFL Cheers

In GEAR » Forget PV panels - Now there's "POWER FELT"
June 13, 12:23am

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Questions about EPIC
Hi Justin > MYOG, sort of quarter/half poncho made out of silnylon, which is for use specifically > with the Houdini and Pump liner combo. The half poncho is only long enough in the >...

In GEAR » Questions about EPIC
June 13, 12:20am

All Reader Reviews by Roger Caffin

Showing 1 - 4 of 4 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Skinny Skis, Jacksons Hole XC Skis
My wife and I had to re-equip with new XC skis, NNN-BC bindings and boots this year. We found several companies which could supply the models we were looking for and ship overseas (to Australia), and ...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
October 28, 3:08pm

Darn Tough Vermont Socks Customer Service
I got a pair of the DTV boot socks in a BGT Test. I gave them hell for four months. It didn't seem to have had any effect on them. Roland B is a very helpful guy too.

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
May 06, 3:53am

Coleman Exponent Xtreme Stove
I have been using the Xtreme in the snow for many years. I have never ever had any problems with it. It lights and runs completely reliably. It will run down to -26 C (-15 F) because the gas mix in t...

In Stoves - White Gas
October 24, 4:17pm

Snow Peak Gigapower Ti
I've used mine for ... many years now. I was initially irritated by the valve off position, but then I wondered: It is otherwise superbly made: what if the valve position is deliberate? Why would th...

In Stoves - Canister
December 29, 10:04pm