BPL Community Profile

Roger Caffin (rcaffin) - BPL Staff

My Locale Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
About Me Research Scientist. Been walking all my life, mainly off-track - we don't have 'trails' here, and I always go with my wife. Summer and winter, lowland and highland, Australia and Europe. Forced into UL gear by heavy packs and increasing age. :-)
Example Gear List at http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/caffins_4_month_gear_list.html

BPL email: roger@backpackinglight.com
CitySydney
StateNSW
CountryAustralia
My Website URLhttp://www.bushwalking.org.au/FAQ/

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Roger Caffin

Showing 171 - 180 of 9563 | Page: 1 ...9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ...957

Forum » Thread

Re: Re: Re: How to make a sternum strap that slides along piping?
Hi Tim I know the hardware exists, but what brand and where can one buy it? Care to share? Cheers

In Make Your Own Gear » How to make a sternum strap that slides along piping?
September 05, 4:26pm

Re: coatings on big puffy down jackets?
Hi Brett > would just plain silnylon not be enough That would be about the biggest disaster I can imagine. Think about the perspiration from your body, wafting gently through the down, to re...

In GEAR » coatings on big puffy down jackets?
September 05, 4:24pm

Re: SE Minnesota temps
> for "three season" use, and I'm always curious which three seasons they mean, LOVE IT! Cheers

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » What ARE "summer nighttime temps" where you backpack?
September 05, 4:20pm

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: alternatives
Hi Katherine > I want to leave my loathed 12 oz Marmot rain pants at home. Well, I can sympathise there! All I carry are some old GoLite Whims: very light UNcoated fabric with a good DWR....

In Make Your Own Gear » no-sew CF skirt - possible?
September 05, 4:12pm

Re: Re: Re: What ARE "summer nighttime temps" where you backpack?
Hi Justin I sympathise! We were coming out of a very remote and rough region in full sun on limited water once, and going up-hill over a peak. Walk 150 m, rest in shade for 5 minutes. Repeat,...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » What ARE "summer nighttime temps" where you backpack?
September 05, 6:05am

Re: Backcountry touring ski upgrade
Never used or needed skins. Fishscale always works fine for us. Never used or needed release bindings either, at least on Nordic-style XC skis. I image it might depend a bit on the terrain and wh...

In Winter Hiking » Backcountry touring ski upgrade
September 05, 2:50am

Re: re: pit zips
> A shell with pit zips isn’t necessarily guaranteed to be a high quality garment, but > one without shows that the company marketing it has little respect for would-be > buyers, IMO. ...

In GEAR » Better for your shell to be snug or loose?
September 05, 2:47am

Re: no-sew CF skirt - possible?
> a six-panelled skirt for a smooth fit around the hips. If the tape fails you could end up with something like a grass skirt... Cheers

In Make Your Own Gear » no-sew CF skirt - possible?
September 04, 4:35pm

Re: Silk Seams Rip
> That's what happens to silk seams when put to hard use, in my experience. It's a very light weave. You need to use something like a felled seam to get the strength. Of course, that ...

In Multiple Use Gear » Silk sleeping bag liner?
September 04, 3:32pm

Re: Better for your shell to be snug or loose?
> not having a huge space of dead air that you have to heat The real problem is the concept of 'dead space'. The phrase is totally misleading imho. What happens in practice if the shel...

In GEAR » Better for your shell to be snug or loose?
September 04, 3:27pm

All Reader Reviews by Roger Caffin

Showing 1 - 4 of 4 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Skinny Skis, Jacksons Hole XC Skis
My wife and I had to re-equip with new XC skis, NNN-BC bindings and boots this year. We found several companies which could supply the models we were looking for and ship overseas (to Australia), and ...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
October 28, 3:08pm

Darn Tough Vermont Socks Customer Service
I got a pair of the DTV boot socks in a BGT Test. I gave them hell for four months. It didn't seem to have had any effect on them. Roland B is a very helpful guy too.

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
May 06, 3:53am

Coleman Exponent Xtreme Stove
I have been using the Xtreme in the snow for many years. I have never ever had any problems with it. It lights and runs completely reliably. It will run down to -26 C (-15 F) because the gas mix in t...

In Stoves - White Gas
October 24, 4:17pm

Snow Peak Gigapower Ti
I've used mine for ... many years now. I was initially irritated by the valve off position, but then I wondered: It is otherwise superbly made: what if the valve position is deliberate? Why would th...

In Stoves - Canister
December 29, 10:04pm