BPL Community Profile

Roger Caffin (rcaffin) - BPL Staff

My Locale Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
About Me Research Scientist. Been walking all my life, mainly off-track - we don't have 'trails' here, and I always go with my wife. Summer and winter, lowland and highland, Australia and Europe. Forced into UL gear by heavy packs and increasing age. :-)
Example Gear List at http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/caffins_4_month_gear_list.html

BPL email: roger@backpackinglight.com
CitySydney
StateNSW
CountryAustralia
My Website URLhttp://www.bushwalking.org.au/FAQ/

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Roger Caffin

Showing 171 - 180 of 9376 | Page: 1 ...9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ...938

Forum » Thread

Re: Re: How do you stay clean?
> But in the drought south west, I have to haul my entire water for 2-3 days. The desert Arabs used to 'wash' with sand - fine sand I guess. Only works when the sand is really dry, b...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » How do you stay clean?
June 30, 1:12am

Re: Re: Battery life is marketing hype
> Roger is the one who seems to have a problem with the battery life. Oh, probably ... well ... maybe? > I love 15 hours with continuous GPS My ($50?) watch/altimeter lasts for about 2 y...

In GEAR » Best watch with thermometer and altimeter?
June 29, 4:15pm

Re: Re: Another UPDATE
Hi Adam Contact me direct roger@backpackinglight.com Not many burners left now. Dunno what after that. Cheers

In Editor's Roundtable » The Evolution of a Winter Stove - Part 3
June 29, 4:06pm

Re: Backpacking 8000 miles around the perimeter of the US on Amtrak
UNREAL! And brilliant. What an education - for ALL. :-) Cheers

In Post-Trip Reports » Backpacking 8000 miles around the perimeter of the US on Amtrak
June 29, 4:01pm

Re: WTB: Roger C stove
My supply of burners is now very low. When they run out - dunno. Cheers

In Gear Swap » WTB: Roger C stove
June 29, 3:57pm

Re: Using Bleach to Wash Clothes on the Trail
There is no end to the stupidity of some people. Basically, Bob G is right. SOAP. Cheers

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Using Bleach to Wash Clothes on the Trail
June 29, 3:56pm

Re: Re: WTB: Roger C stove
That looks horribly like a disguised bump to me, and you KNOW they are not allowed. Naughty. Sigh - you will have to buy new. Cheers

In Gear Swap » WTB: Roger C stove
June 29, 3:53pm

Re: Re: Re: Garmin fenix 2
> You don't change batteries. It's a USB rechargeable lithium-ion battery. You plug it > into your computer to upload your GPS tracks and it charges. Ah - designed for affluent week...

June 28, 4:10pm

Re: compression
> compression garments can reduce unwanted movement of muscle groups in between > contractions, ie flopping around. Possibly making them less tired and sore. Sorry, but if you can believe i...

In GEAR » Baselayer question: How tight is too tight?
June 28, 4:06pm

Re: Garmin fenix 2
OK, it has a 3D magnetic field sensor. An improvement. I note the following minor defects however: Price: around $500. Blimey! "water rated to 5 ATM (50 meters)" does not mean '...

June 28, 2:34am

All Reader Reviews by Roger Caffin

Showing 1 - 4 of 4 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Skinny Skis, Jacksons Hole XC Skis
My wife and I had to re-equip with new XC skis, NNN-BC bindings and boots this year. We found several companies which could supply the models we were looking for and ship overseas (to Australia), and ...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
October 28, 3:08pm

Darn Tough Vermont Socks Customer Service
I got a pair of the DTV boot socks in a BGT Test. I gave them hell for four months. It didn't seem to have had any effect on them. Roland B is a very helpful guy too.

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
May 06, 3:53am

Coleman Exponent Xtreme Stove
I have been using the Xtreme in the snow for many years. I have never ever had any problems with it. It lights and runs completely reliably. It will run down to -26 C (-15 F) because the gas mix in t...

In Stoves - White Gas
October 24, 4:17pm

Snow Peak Gigapower Ti
I've used mine for ... many years now. I was initially irritated by the valve off position, but then I wondered: It is otherwise superbly made: what if the valve position is deliberate? Why would th...

In Stoves - Canister
December 29, 10:04pm