BPL Community Profile

Roger Caffin (rcaffin) - BPL Staff

My Locale Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
About Me Research Scientist. Been walking all my life, mainly off-track - we don't have 'trails' here, and I always go with my wife. Summer and winter, lowland and highland, Australia and Europe. Forced into UL gear by heavy packs and increasing age. :-)
Example Gear List at http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/caffins_4_month_gear_list.html

BPL email: roger@backpackinglight.com
CitySydney
StateNSW
CountryAustralia
My Website URLhttp://www.bushwalking.org.au/FAQ/

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Roger Caffin

Showing 171 - 180 of 9275 | Page: 1 ...9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ...928

Forum » Thread

Re: TMB
Hi David Oh sure, there are plenty of 'known' camp sites, not all of them legal. :-) Dinner at Les Mottets was truly excellent, and huge. Col de Balme was ... was not good when we were...

In GEAR » Advice on cooking equipment for 7-night Tour Mont Blanc summer hike
May 29, 5:04pm

Re: Battery life of Steripen
Hi Arla > I had an older Steripen and experienced the battery drain during storage problem and > it was really off-putting! It was, wasn't it! But that has been fixed. With the first...

In GEAR » Do I have any other option for a water purifier a part from the Steripen and Sawyer models?
May 29, 4:40pm

Re: Thread Tension when Sewing M90
I would use the finest needle you have. I use a #100 gauge needle - different scale. The Gutermann thread may be a little heavy for M90. A finer synthetic or poly-cotton might be better. I use Ras...

In Make Your Own Gear » Thread Tension when Sewing M90
May 29, 4:29pm

Re: Quick Question about Darn Tough Socks
Large, every time. Warmer, softer, and longer life. Cheers

In GEAR » Quick Question about Darn Tough Socks
May 29, 5:04am

Re: Advice on cooking equipment for 7-night Tour Mont Blanc summer hike
Technically (legally) you are not meant to camp on the TMB at all. You are meant to stay in the Refuges each night. So you eat in the Refuges as well - mostly good meals too. There is some logic he...

In GEAR » Advice on cooking equipment for 7-night Tour Mont Blanc summer hike
May 29, 5:00am

Re: Optimum Tent Floor Material with or without groundsheet.
Both ideas have merit. But both have deficiencies as well. UL tent floors have not one but two deficiencies. The obvious one is fragility - well, lower strength. But many of us have hammered sil...

In Make Your Own Gear » Optimum Tent Floor Material with or without groundsheet.
May 29, 4:56am

Re: Darn.
Hi Delmar > These Merrell 10s feel correct in the store and feel correct just wearing around on > the job. Maybe my foot is swelling considerably as I hike. Your diagnosis is very much...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Blood under Nails and Shoe Size Question
May 28, 7:19pm

Re: dimple
Hi Andre > the small dimple is there to help keep the knife closed. There will be a > corresponding recess in the knife blade in the closed position. So there is! How very clever - and ...

In Editor's Roundtable » Deejo UL Knives
May 28, 7:06pm

Re: Is a Garmin Foretrex going to do the job?
A large hand-held GPS is always better than a small watch-sized GPS for 2 reasons: much better signal due to the much larger antenna, and much better battery life due to larger batteries. Cheers

In GEAR » Is a Garmin Foretrex going to do the job?
May 28, 6:46pm

Re: Do I have any other option for a water purifier a part from the Steripen and Sawyer models?
Hi Alessandra The original Steripen did have reliability problems - that is true. That was fixed a long time ago. The current Steripen Adventurer Opti is the preferred treatment for many of u...

In GEAR » Do I have any other option for a water purifier a part from the Steripen and Sawyer models?
May 28, 6:43pm

All Reader Reviews by Roger Caffin

Showing 1 - 4 of 4 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Skinny Skis, Jacksons Hole XC Skis
My wife and I had to re-equip with new XC skis, NNN-BC bindings and boots this year. We found several companies which could supply the models we were looking for and ship overseas (to Australia), and ...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
October 28, 3:08pm

Darn Tough Vermont Socks Customer Service
I got a pair of the DTV boot socks in a BGT Test. I gave them hell for four months. It didn't seem to have had any effect on them. Roland B is a very helpful guy too.

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
May 06, 3:53am

Coleman Exponent Xtreme Stove
I have been using the Xtreme in the snow for many years. I have never ever had any problems with it. It lights and runs completely reliably. It will run down to -26 C (-15 F) because the gas mix in t...

In Stoves - White Gas
October 24, 4:17pm

Snow Peak Gigapower Ti
I've used mine for ... many years now. I was initially irritated by the valve off position, but then I wondered: It is otherwise superbly made: what if the valve position is deliberate? Why would th...

In Stoves - Canister
December 29, 10:04pm