Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Tom Kirchner (ouzel) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Pacific Northwest/Sierra
About Me Leave no tracks.
CitySeattle
StateWA
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Tom Kirchner

Showing 171 - 180 of 6840 | Page: 1 ...9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ...684

Forum » Thread

Re: Perhaps another slant?
"Well there you have it Tom, better go find yourself someone better to quote!" I guess you're right, Craig. But how was I to know he was just a garden variety acid head? "...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Dean Potter dies in yosemite
May 22, 5:32pm

Re: Response from Rab re what the new 3L fabric is
"...and I got a rather detailed response. All you fabric geeks can figure this out...." I'm no gear geek, but that seemed to me to be a pretty clear, refreshingly honest explanatio...

In GEAR » Rab Flashpoint: 6oz 3-layer rain jacket
May 21, 9:48pm

Perhaps another slant?
I have long been drawn to this famous saying by Crazy Horse, often inaccurately rendered. As explained below, it speaks eloquently to the state of mind of those who face the constant possibility, ...

May 21, 5:10pm

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re "At least he died doing what he loved..."
"I think that if you don't have any particular passion, true passion, for something, then you content yourself with doing meaningful things when the opportunity arises to do so, both in sm...

May 20, 8:05pm

Re: Re: Re "At least he died doing what he loved..."
"I think we can generally agree that it's better to live a life that is meaningful to us, doing the things that are meaningful to us, than not." That does seem to be a common threa...

May 20, 7:25pm

Re: Rain Jacket Help: Precip or Helium
"For reference most of my hiking will be done in the traditional 3 seasons in the Sierra’s" If you are doing trail hiking, you might also want to consider either O2 Rain Shield or Dr...

In GEAR » Rain Jacket Help: Precip or Helium
May 20, 7:23pm

Re: Re: Re: Predator Fishing
"Biggest one I caught was in Northwest Territories up near Great Slave Lake and that sucker broke the rod. Think it was about 35 lbs. Good thing I was good at handlining with a pair of gloves&...

In Fishing » Predator Fishing
May 20, 5:28pm

Re: Predator Fishing
" know some reported having caught pike and lake trout on a tenkara rod, but isn't this one area where it's better to go a little bit beefer?" A lot depends on how big the pike...

In Fishing » Predator Fishing
May 19, 8:30pm

Re: Re: "Dean Potter dies in yosemite"
"In the end the point is not who lived better than who, but more a question of whether or not we're living the lives we want to live." Timeless wisdom. Well said, Craig.

May 18, 8:31pm

Re: Re: Re: I always carry bear spray
"No thanks. I'll just carry bear spray and you'll just have to deal with it. You can stay home if you don't like it :)" Just as I was apparently misunderstood on another th...

In GEAR » Another bear attack. Should I get some spray?
May 17, 5:50pm

All Reader Reviews by Tom Kirchner

Showing 1 - 6 of 6 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Gossamer Gear ThinLight insulation pad 1/8" approx. 2 oz.
Having used both of the above mentioned combinations(only with a Mens' Prolite 3), I heartily concur with their rating(s). It would be hard to find a piece of insulation/protection/padding that g...

In Sleeping Pads - Foam
October 27, 5:20pm

ULA Circuit
Pro's: 1) Light; 2) Durable for the weight(like Kevin, I've done some off-trail/bushwhacking(Wanda Lake to Martha Lake via Davis Lakes/N. Goddard Creek) with only minor abrasion on the waist...

In Backpacks - Internal Frame
August 29, 6:16pm

RailRiders Adventure Shirt
Scott, Check out travelcountry.com for the eco-mesh shirt. They have free shipping whereas Railriders charges a pretty hefty fee. I've been using this shirt for years and consider it the best S...

In Clothing - Baselayer & Fleece - SYNTHETIC
April 06, 5:27pm

Therm-A-Rest Pro-Lite 4
Hi David, What you are experiencing with your Prolite-4 is a common phenomenon in my experience with the Prolite-3. It is, however, easy to mitigate. Just position the valve next to your shoulder o...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
April 04, 5:17pm

Therm-A-Rest Pro Lite 3
I've used the Prolite-3 almost since it came out with good success. It compresses well, is very light FOR ITS SIZE(what would a TorsoLite weigh if it was 20"x48"??), and insulates just ...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
March 15, 6:02pm

REI Peak UL
I've been using the Peak UL carbon fiber poles(womens' non antishock 3 section model-11.2 oz/pr) ever since they came on the market and have been ecstatic about their performance. Like some other pos...

In Trekking Poles
November 04, 5:58pm