Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Tom Kirchner (ouzel) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Pacific Northwest/Sierra
About Me Leave no tracks.
CitySeattle
StateWA
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Tom Kirchner

Showing 171 - 180 of 6518 | Page: 1 ...9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ...652

Forum » Thread

Re: Re: Sheez, it must be winter
"I wish I could be in the desert hiking right now instead of in below zero Montana, but snowshoeing in fresh pow with full-on sun is such an indescribable, ineluctable joy. I also have no comp...

In Editor's Roundtable » 2014 Staff Picks
January 06, 5:08pm

Re: Coyotes
"The chase was on. Vixen chased the coyote all around a two block radius, and you've never seen two dogs run so fast. Vixen caught up to her a few times, but they never fought. Finally I c...

In Pre-Trip Planning » Help me find the "flat" spots in the High Sierra ;-)
January 06, 4:59pm

Re: Re: Light down jacket vs vest
"but I've found the best solution to be one down vest plus one down jacket. Depending on the temperature, I can use one, use the other, or use both. That gives me a broader range of temper...

In GEAR » Light down jacket vs vest
January 06, 4:44pm

Re: Re: Re: Help me find the "flat" spots in the High Sierra ;-)
"I really do love the sound of coyotes at night. They easily top my list of favorite "wild" animals." Me, too. They're not always there, but most times I've been up ...

January 05, 7:37pm

Re: Bike legalization
"Do you really think this is ok?" No.

In Philosophy & Technique » The inevitable bike legalization of the JMT
January 05, 4:51pm

Re: Re: Re: Re: 2014 Staff survivors
"I do NOT handle any of BPL's finances, nor do I have any of the financial data ... Yes, you could call it a downwards spiral. I believe that would describe the BPL income stream after ...

January 04, 5:25pm

Re: Re: 2014 Staff survivors
"RJ... No Darin Banner or Mike Martin? What happened between BPL and Mike Clelland? Skurka use to be around much more. Remember the Great Western Loop podcasts?" Symptomatic o...

January 04, 5:16pm

Re: Help me find the "flat" spots in the High Sierra ;-)
"Siberian Outpost, Boreal Plateau, etc." If you don't mind hiking north a few miles, you could fold Bighorn Plateau into the same trip with these two. For a real bonus, hike from ...

January 04, 5:11pm

Re: Re: Scary how true it really is...
"Eurasia (I'm looking at you Turkey) I'm wating on the return of Constantinople and an apology for the Armenian Genocide." ROTFLMAO "My suggestion for gov improvement i...

In Chaff » Scary how true it really is...
January 03, 7:47pm

Re: Re: where the shoulder goes on the ice axe
"One time I was sliding down Avalanche Gulch, and I was going too slow, so I was trying to pick up some moderate speed. Then all of a sudden I hit an icy patch in the down-track, so all of a s...

In Mountaineering & Alpinism » Beginner Ice Axe Questions
January 01, 6:01pm

All Reader Reviews by Tom Kirchner

Showing 1 - 6 of 6 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Gossamer Gear ThinLight insulation pad 1/8" approx. 2 oz.
Having used both of the above mentioned combinations(only with a Mens' Prolite 3), I heartily concur with their rating(s). It would be hard to find a piece of insulation/protection/padding that g...

In Sleeping Pads - Foam
October 27, 5:20pm

ULA Circuit
Pro's: 1) Light; 2) Durable for the weight(like Kevin, I've done some off-trail/bushwhacking(Wanda Lake to Martha Lake via Davis Lakes/N. Goddard Creek) with only minor abrasion on the waist...

In Backpacks - Internal Frame
August 29, 6:16pm

RailRiders Adventure Shirt
Scott, Check out travelcountry.com for the eco-mesh shirt. They have free shipping whereas Railriders charges a pretty hefty fee. I've been using this shirt for years and consider it the best S...

In Clothing - Baselayer & Fleece - SYNTHETIC
April 06, 5:27pm

Therm-A-Rest Pro-Lite 4
Hi David, What you are experiencing with your Prolite-4 is a common phenomenon in my experience with the Prolite-3. It is, however, easy to mitigate. Just position the valve next to your shoulder o...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
April 04, 5:17pm

Therm-A-Rest Pro Lite 3
I've used the Prolite-3 almost since it came out with good success. It compresses well, is very light FOR ITS SIZE(what would a TorsoLite weigh if it was 20"x48"??), and insulates just ...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
March 15, 6:02pm

REI Peak UL
I've been using the Peak UL carbon fiber poles(womens' non antishock 3 section model-11.2 oz/pr) ever since they came on the market and have been ecstatic about their performance. Like some other pos...

In Trekking Poles
November 04, 5:58pm