Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Tom Kirchner (ouzel) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Pacific Northwest/Sierra
About Me Leave no tracks.
CitySeattle
StateWA
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Tom Kirchner

Showing 171 - 180 of 6306 | Page: 1 ...9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ...631

Forum » Thread

Re: Re: Dangerous wildlife incidents WA state 2014
"What I find interesting in this list, is that for all the concern backpackers have about bears there is not a single bear encounter listed!" I think it's more of an issue over in ...

In On the Web » Dangerous wildlife incidents WA state 2014
November 12, 8:07pm

Re: Few
" Seems like dogs and livestock make up the bulk of the reports of attacks." There have been a couple of close call incidents in King County that I know of personally, but they were no...

In On the Web » Dangerous wildlife incidents WA state 2014
November 12, 5:17pm

Re: Trekking pole recommendations
"Any other lightweight poles as good which are not likely to break eventually?" You should at least take a careful look at Locus Gear's CP3's before you make a final decision. ...

In GEAR » Trekking pole recommendations
November 12, 5:12pm

Re: Hmmm
"If a bear is crossing a mile of territory just to investigate a tent that had a pot of spaghetti in it last week then that bear just wasted a lot of energy for no payoff. I call bogus." ...

In Editor's Roundtable » Can I Cook in my Tent?
November 12, 5:05pm

Re: Toothpaste
"even bringing toothpaste stirs up controversy on BPL)" Some might even call it TP lite.

In Philosophy & Technique » Super-Awesome TIP OF THE DAY!!! (warning, thread may be too awesome for some viewers)
November 12, 5:02pm

Re: Re Re Can I Cook in my Tent?
"dominant smell in my tent is hiker funk not meatballs and spaghetti!" Hiker funk is just meatballs that are a little past their expiration date as far as a bear is concerned. ;0)

November 12, 4:59pm

Re: Re: Awesome!
"The only things worse than corrupt businessmen are corrupt politicians and corrupt preachers." In the final analysis, they're all businessmen.

November 12, 4:56pm

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: The inevitable bike legalization of the JMT
"Now we know why we disagree, and that is no small thing." Yes. Understanding the differences is a beginning of sorts. 'Til next time, then. :)

In Philosophy & Technique » The inevitable bike legalization of the JMT
November 11, 7:46pm

Cap 4
My go to mid layer when temps go below ~30, and my go to base layer between ~ the mid 40's and 30.

In GEAR » Warmest, most breathable winter mid layer
November 11, 5:50pm

Re: Both sides
"When I go mountain biking, it's on trails built by mountain bikers meant for mountain biking. They are hard packed, well maintained by local trail builders and purpose built for it. Wh...

In Philosophy & Technique » The inevitable bike legalization of the JMT
November 11, 5:27pm

All Reader Reviews by Tom Kirchner

Showing 1 - 6 of 6 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Gossamer Gear ThinLight insulation pad 1/8" approx. 2 oz.
Having used both of the above mentioned combinations(only with a Mens' Prolite 3), I heartily concur with their rating(s). It would be hard to find a piece of insulation/protection/padding that g...

In Sleeping Pads - Foam
October 27, 5:20pm

ULA Circuit
Pro's: 1) Light; 2) Durable for the weight(like Kevin, I've done some off-trail/bushwhacking(Wanda Lake to Martha Lake via Davis Lakes/N. Goddard Creek) with only minor abrasion on the waist...

In Backpacks - Internal Frame
August 29, 6:16pm

RailRiders Adventure Shirt
Scott, Check out travelcountry.com for the eco-mesh shirt. They have free shipping whereas Railriders charges a pretty hefty fee. I've been using this shirt for years and consider it the best S...

In Clothing - Baselayer & Fleece - SYNTHETIC
April 06, 5:27pm

Therm-A-Rest Pro-Lite 4
Hi David, What you are experiencing with your Prolite-4 is a common phenomenon in my experience with the Prolite-3. It is, however, easy to mitigate. Just position the valve next to your shoulder o...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
April 04, 5:17pm

Therm-A-Rest Pro Lite 3
I've used the Prolite-3 almost since it came out with good success. It compresses well, is very light FOR ITS SIZE(what would a TorsoLite weigh if it was 20"x48"??), and insulates just ...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
March 15, 6:02pm

REI Peak UL
I've been using the Peak UL carbon fiber poles(womens' non antishock 3 section model-11.2 oz/pr) ever since they came on the market and have been ecstatic about their performance. Like some other pos...

In Trekking Poles
November 04, 5:58pm