BPL Community Profile

Tom Kirchner (ouzel) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Pacific Northwest/Sierra
About Me Leave no tracks.
CitySeattle
StateWA
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Tom Kirchner

Showing 171 - 180 of 6000 | Page: 1 ...9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ...600

Forum » Thread

Re: Re: Both Wrong
"Wind mills to produce electricity." Bad idea. Nick and Pancho will knock them over with their trusty lances.

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Question: Your Energy Lifestyle and Backpacking
June 26, 7:52pm

Re: Re: Re: Re: @ Sarbar--What's up with ghee?
" Wonder if it can be canned at all? I'm a bit of a prepper and canned (jarred) ghee sounds like it would last awhile unrefrigerated." Look for it in any South Asian grocery. You ...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » @ Sarbar--What's up with ghee?
June 26, 7:50pm

Re: Favorite Powdered Electrolyte Drinks?
Table salt, calcium tabs, magnesium tabs. Cheap and effective.

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » Favorite Powdered Electrolyte Drinks?
June 26, 5:54pm

Re: Re: Re: Skyscape X
"That's weird about the condensation, I've heard that this tent was especially well breathing and you rarely got condensation due to the breeze that tents to come in from beneath."...

In GEAR » What is everyone's favorite UL solo, three-season shelter?
June 26, 5:52pm

Re: Both Wrong
"Since political solutions aren't going to happen I think the best hope is the free market. Its unfortunate that many environmentalist associate "free market" with coal mines. Wh...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Question: Your Energy Lifestyle and Backpacking
June 26, 5:29pm

Re: Skyscape X
"Any personal experiences people have here would be highly appreciated!" I'm going into my third Sierra season with the original, one entrance model, and can say with confidence th...

In GEAR » What is everyone's favorite UL solo, three-season shelter?
June 26, 5:19pm

Re: Re: Packing
"What a wonderful way to get a very wet quilt." +1 "In my book, keeping my quilt and warm clothing dry beats SUL ideology ANY day." Another +1, but you can still be, if...

In GEAR » Hints on how to pack a PCT lack tightly?
June 25, 8:22pm

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: hmm
"On some sad level, I almost wish they had that level of mustache twisting evil sophistication to orchestrate something like that." Some of them most definitely did, Ian. And they cle...

In Chaff » Glenn Beck admits "Liberals you were right" about Iraq War.
June 25, 8:09pm

Re: An Iraqi perspective
"before 2003, Iraq was not a very happy place to live, but it was home for millions of people. They went to work, and they had their basic needs satisfied. They could not express themselves po...

June 25, 6:22pm

Re: Re: Re: Re: hmm
"Really, after the 'successful' invasion, you couldn't have tried any harder to ensure things would go to hell quickly than the administration and its team did then." Perha...

June 25, 6:08pm

All Reader Reviews by Tom Kirchner

Showing 1 - 6 of 6 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Gossamer Gear ThinLight insulation pad 1/8" approx. 2 oz.
Having used both of the above mentioned combinations(only with a Mens' Prolite 3), I heartily concur with their rating(s). It would be hard to find a piece of insulation/protection/padding that g...

In Sleeping Pads - Foam
October 27, 5:20pm

ULA Circuit
Pro's: 1) Light; 2) Durable for the weight(like Kevin, I've done some off-trail/bushwhacking(Wanda Lake to Martha Lake via Davis Lakes/N. Goddard Creek) with only minor abrasion on the waist...

In Backpacks - Internal Frame
August 29, 6:16pm

RailRiders Adventure Shirt
Scott, Check out travelcountry.com for the eco-mesh shirt. They have free shipping whereas Railriders charges a pretty hefty fee. I've been using this shirt for years and consider it the best S...

In Clothing - Baselayer & Fleece - SYNTHETIC
April 06, 5:27pm

Therm-A-Rest Pro-Lite 4
Hi David, What you are experiencing with your Prolite-4 is a common phenomenon in my experience with the Prolite-3. It is, however, easy to mitigate. Just position the valve next to your shoulder o...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
April 04, 5:17pm

Therm-A-Rest Pro Lite 3
I've used the Prolite-3 almost since it came out with good success. It compresses well, is very light FOR ITS SIZE(what would a TorsoLite weigh if it was 20"x48"??), and insulates just ...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
March 15, 6:02pm

REI Peak UL
I've been using the Peak UL carbon fiber poles(womens' non antishock 3 section model-11.2 oz/pr) ever since they came on the market and have been ecstatic about their performance. Like some other pos...

In Trekking Poles
November 04, 5:58pm