BPL Community Profile

Tom Kirchner (ouzel) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Pacific Northwest/Sierra
About Me Leave no tracks.
CitySeattle
StateWA
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Tom Kirchner

Showing 171 - 180 of 5948 | Page: 1 ...9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ...595

Forum » Thread

Re: Hammocking in the Sierra
"Guitar or Crabtree Lakes" Lower Crabtree Lake would be excellent for a hammock; lots of campsites in the wooded area on the north shore of the lake. However, it will add an at least...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Hammocking in the Sierra
June 06, 5:52pm

Packing an Ursack into an OHM
Well, I'm finally doing a hike where I feel it prudent to take a bear canister, in my case an Ursack. I have long avoided canisters for the additional weight, but even more for the discomfort ...

In Philosophy & Technique » Packing an Ursack into an OHM
June 05, 5:20pm

Re: Lightest baselayer top...
Arc'teryx Motus in a size small weighs 3.9 oz, probabl around 4.7-5 in a medium. It's an excellent Sierra 2 season baselayer and is rated SPF 25. REI windpro gloves are about 1.5 oz and g...

In GEAR » Lightest baselayer top and gloves
June 05, 5:03pm

ouzel-ursack
Well, I'm finally doing a hike where I feel it prudent to take a bear canister, in my case an Ursack. I have long avoided canisters for the additional weight, but even more for the discomfort ...

In User Test Forum » ouzel-ursack
June 05, 4:37pm

Re: Survey
" By a show of hands, who here have crapped their pants while traveling overseas? Let's go! Raise those hands!" Once, when I inadvertently came too close to a Shiite holy place tha...

In Chaff » Survey
June 03, 8:48pm

Re: Re: Re: Re: Why I Won't Buy From Certain Outdoor Cottage Gear Makers
" I think he comes from the days of simple mobs and hordes." It was a lot simpler back then. You got to rape and pillage, and drink the enemy general's booze. And there were no c...

In Chaff » Why I Won't Buy From Certain Outdoor Cottage Gear Makers
June 03, 8:35pm

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Say something up here in the subject line....
"Here is a band that is new to me" Sweet. And sad...

In Chaff » Ronald Reagan Backed Strict Gun Laws in CA as a Response to the Rise of the Black Panther Party.
June 03, 8:16pm

Re: Better without
"The music you share with us deserves a better intro than that :)" Hey, you're talking to an unshaven guy who used to drive a pickup truck with empty beer cans in the back. Whaddy...

In Chaff » Ronald Reagan Backed Strict Gun Laws in CA as a Response to the Rise of the Black Panther Party.
June 03, 5:50pm

Re: copying
+1 to Craig's comments. I can understand your fear of ending up in court, but if that means you have to be vague to the point of leaving your audience in the dark as to whom you are talking ab...

In Chaff » Why I Won't Buy From Certain Outdoor Cottage Gear Makers
June 02, 8:55pm

Re: Re: Re: 2000
"Don't realy have hard numbers on that, but itbseems like I may lose about 8 lb in 8 days. Though some of that may be dehydration." If you allocated half of that pound to dehydrati...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » Help Pimp my MTR to Whitney Food System
June 01, 4:38pm

All Reader Reviews by Tom Kirchner

Showing 1 - 6 of 6 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Gossamer Gear ThinLight insulation pad 1/8" approx. 2 oz.
Having used both of the above mentioned combinations(only with a Mens' Prolite 3), I heartily concur with their rating(s). It would be hard to find a piece of insulation/protection/padding that g...

In Sleeping Pads - Foam
October 27, 5:20pm

ULA Circuit
Pro's: 1) Light; 2) Durable for the weight(like Kevin, I've done some off-trail/bushwhacking(Wanda Lake to Martha Lake via Davis Lakes/N. Goddard Creek) with only minor abrasion on the waist...

In Backpacks - Internal Frame
August 29, 6:16pm

RailRiders Adventure Shirt
Scott, Check out travelcountry.com for the eco-mesh shirt. They have free shipping whereas Railriders charges a pretty hefty fee. I've been using this shirt for years and consider it the best S...

In Clothing - Baselayer & Fleece - SYNTHETIC
April 06, 5:27pm

Therm-A-Rest Pro-Lite 4
Hi David, What you are experiencing with your Prolite-4 is a common phenomenon in my experience with the Prolite-3. It is, however, easy to mitigate. Just position the valve next to your shoulder o...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
April 04, 5:17pm

Therm-A-Rest Pro Lite 3
I've used the Prolite-3 almost since it came out with good success. It compresses well, is very light FOR ITS SIZE(what would a TorsoLite weigh if it was 20"x48"??), and insulates just ...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
March 15, 6:02pm

REI Peak UL
I've been using the Peak UL carbon fiber poles(womens' non antishock 3 section model-11.2 oz/pr) ever since they came on the market and have been ecstatic about their performance. Like some other pos...

In Trekking Poles
November 04, 5:58pm