BPL Community Profile

Nick Gatel (ngatel) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Southern California
About Me Started backpacking in the 1960's and still going strong.
CityPalm Springs
StateCA
CountryUSA
My Website URLhttp://www.popupbackpacker.com
My PDF Gear ListSub 4 lb

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Nick Gatel

Showing 171 - 180 of 5415 | Page: 1 ...9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ...542

Forum » Thread

Re: Re: Rainproof Headgear to go with MYOG PolyCryo Poncho?
I provided the solution. A decent sun hat with a polycro cover. Hat is dual use. Rain cover won't register on most scales :-)

In Make Your Own Gear » Rainproof Headgear to go with MYOG PolyCryo Poncho?
March 13, 10:39pm

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: best solar charger right now? march 14"
Solar for Backpacking?

In GEAR » best solar charger right now? march 14"
March 13, 10:35pm

Re: Using the "filler" method with a bear can
Mark, I think some of this depends upon how people cook and what they like. I have no problem with repetitive meals. So I am fine with emptying 3 or 4 of each MH into a Large ZipLock (Chili Mac,...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » Using the "filler" method with a bear can
March 13, 10:31pm

Re: Re: tarp?
"Ponchos are minimalist shelters at best and this one is a little smaller than the GoLite. It would make a better than nothing at all emergency shelter, although if the weather was bad, I migh...

In Gear Deals » Red Ledge Backpacker Poncho at REI $17
March 13, 10:15pm

Re: Rainproof Headgear to go with MYOG PolyCryo Poncho?
Since you hike where the rain is "brief and passing" then you might look at the REI eVent baseball cap (if they still sell it). Now you said you use a baseball cap and skirt for the su...

In Make Your Own Gear » Rainproof Headgear to go with MYOG PolyCryo Poncho?
March 13, 10:09pm

Re: Re: Re: The 5# pack sets a floor doesn't it
"Sorry but I have to disagree with a 83 ounce pack feeling lighter for any reason.Thats 5.2 pounds! That is as much as some people baseweight around here, including mine. I have a 10 ounce ...

In Gear Lists » JMT Gear List - Need to lost 3-5lbs
March 13, 9:54pm

Re: Re: Relenting on NeoAir XLITE
Mine is a couple years old. It is a small and weight 7.53 ounces. I don't think it is noisy. But when using it I am asleep. No leaks in mine, even in deserts. But I often bring a thin foa...

In GEAR » Relenting on NeoAir XLITE
March 13, 8:41pm

Re: Re: Converting my wife
"a 2-year old is ultimate non-UL gear. 30 pounds and it serves no useful purpose" Well, they do live longer than dogs :)

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Converting my wife
March 13, 8:30pm

Re: Backpacking around Pittsburgh
"Get a big map and look for open spaces..." This is something I post a lot when it comes to finding places to hike. I travel at least a couple times a month on business all over th...

In Pre-Trip Planning » Backpacking around Pittsburgh
March 13, 8:27pm

Re: Daryl
Sounds like sincere appreciation from Daryl. He's a good guy... well seems like a good guy from his posts. Never met him.

In Make Your Own Gear » Modular Pack idea, anyone seen anything like this?
March 11, 11:09pm

All Reader Reviews by Nick Gatel

Showing 1 - 2 of 2 | Page: 1

Review

Category

BPL Beartooth Merino Wool Hoody
Cool enough in 82F weather, warm in cool weather. Hood replaces light cap and light baclava. One piece of gear replaces several single items! Sizing is not 'standard.' But... if you review ...

In Clothing - Baselayer & Fleece - WOOL
March 09, 11:38pm

ULA Equipment
5/5 It seems that from earlier reviews, ULA has solved the communication issues with the addition of Casey to the staff, which must have solved that void. Not only was the communication great (t...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
February 23, 1:49am