BPL Community Profile

Nick Gatel (ngatel) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Southern California
About Me Started backpacking in the 1960's and still going strong.
CityPalm Springs
StateCA
CountryUSA
My Website URLhttp://www.popupbackpacker.com
My PDF Gear ListSub 4 lb

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Nick Gatel

Showing 171 - 180 of 5284 | Page: 1 ...9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ...529

Forum » Thread

Let's get rid of the terms and definitions instead
Ryan Jordan's "claim to fame" maybe that he coined the name, SUL. Maybe he did, and maybe he didn't. But RJ is often synonymous with SUL. Ryan, like many of, has grown and inc...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » I say let's decide on a general consensus of Ultralight definitions and terms.
January 17, 5:36am

Re: Re: Re: Paradox Packs Evolution pack system review
"I specifically addressed the meaning of "ultralight" in the article. Those who persist in seeing this as a numbers only issue will continue to not have my sympathy." Yes, Ye...

In Editor's Roundtable » Paradox Packs Evolution pack system review
January 16, 7:31pm

Re: Re: McHale Packs
Dan has stated many times that he really doesn't want his packs reviewed. He doesn't need reviews to sell packs.

In Editor's Roundtable » Paradox Packs Evolution pack system review
January 16, 7:28pm

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Apologies, egocentric, and self-righteous
Mark's last two posts are excellent!

In Multiple Use Gear » Who does not love a cigar in the woods?
January 16, 7:19pm

Re: Re: Re: Glasses...
Rick, This has been the case with my last 4 pair of glasses over the past 10 years from 4 different eye Docs. My vision for distances has actually gotten better over the past 15 years. Readi...

In GEAR » Glasses...
January 15, 9:31pm

Re: Big Agnes Fly Creek Platinum UL2... Best tent for 2 doing 200 miles on PCT in SoCal?
Southern California averages 34.2 days of rain per year. That is around 9% of the time. Most of those days are in Jan and Feb. You don't need a tent. Maybe a tarp just in case.

In GEAR » Big Agnes Fly Creek Platinum UL2... Best tent for 2 doing 200 miles on PCT in SoCal?
January 15, 7:25pm

Re: Glasses...
I wear progressive lens glasses. When backpacking I can get by with a compact pair of dime store reading glasses -- a very light pair. Whenever possible (when not backpacking) I don't wear the ...

In GEAR » Glasses...
January 15, 7:16pm

Re: Re: Re: Re: Ian, Andrew, Roger, trip reports, Craig, Paul, "Gabriel," Eric
"I suspect what Nick was really saying was that his pack can have any weight he wants within a very broad range. I don't think he intended that anyone think he was using all those terms wi...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » I say let's decide on a general consensus of Ultralight definitions and terms.
January 15, 7:09pm

Re: Measuring water
I use a SWAG. Never have problems. ;)

In GEAR » Measuring water
January 13, 8:53pm

Re: men teaching girlfriends
Maybe, just maybe, backpacking isn't the most important thing in the world, or in a relationship. A partner who doesn't want to backpack does not indicate a character defect.

In Philosophy & Technique » helping girlfriend reduce weight - personal fears
January 13, 8:46pm

All Reader Reviews by Nick Gatel

Showing 1 - 2 of 2 | Page: 1

Review

Category

BPL Beartooth Merino Wool Hoody
Cool enough in 82F weather, warm in cool weather. Hood replaces light cap and light baclava. One piece of gear replaces several single items! Sizing is not 'standard.' But... if you review ...

In Clothing - Baselayer & Fleece - WOOL
March 09, 11:38pm

ULA Equipment
5/5 It seems that from earlier reviews, ULA has solved the communication issues with the addition of Casey to the staff, which must have solved that void. Not only was the communication great (t...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
February 23, 1:49am