BPL Community Profile

Mark Hurd (markhurd) - BPL Premium Member

My Locale South Texas
About Me Backpacker, climber, cyclist, sometime kayaker, aerospace engineer, entomologist, physician, DIY gear maker, gadget junky, hammock aficionado and former daguerreotypist.---- "Do what you can, with what you have, where you are."-Theodore Roosevelt
CitySan Antonio
StateTX
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Mark Hurd

Showing 171 - 180 of 458 | Page: 1 ...9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ...46

Forum » Thread

Re: "NEMO GOGO"
Pack wt on this is 2.5 lb. You could get a lot bigger tent for that wt. For a bivy it is pretty interesting but still on the heavy side. However, it is on sale at Outdoor Daily right now for $146...

In GEAR » NEMO GOGO
January 13, 9:47pm

Re: Micro Burner Stove?
Hi Tony, Wow! "about 50g for stove and canister" !!! Very nice! Love to see it when you get it done. Happy Trails, -Mark

In GEAR » Micro Burner Stove?
January 13, 9:37pm

Re: Re: Re: Re: Micro Burner Stove?
Right! Yes, OK then. I don't think I'll try that! Maybe I'll just stay with alcohol stoves for now.:-) Or my trusty Coleman F1 canister. Thanks Roger. -Mark

January 13, 4:15pm

Re: Re: Micro Burner Stove?
Roger, You have more experience with this kind of stove than I do, so in theory do you think there would be any problem burning propane in this thing instead of butane? I don't see why one c...

January 13, 12:30pm

Micro Burner Stove?
Has anyone used or played with one of these? (second item down) Micro Burner Interesting since it is refillable. At 270 gm (found this on another web site) it is a little heavy, but maybe i...

January 12, 5:42pm

Re: Trekking Pole Connector
Brilliant!

In Make Your Own Gear » Trekking Pole Connector
January 10, 9:30pm

Re: "Cobalt" Beer Bottle Stove/ windscreen
Dan, Thanks for the info on your wicking material. I figured it was different. Well, once again, nice work on an interesting stove. Please keep us informed about it. Do you plan to market it...

In Make Your Own Gear » "Cobalt" Beer Bottle Stove
January 10, 8:19pm

Re: "Cobalt" Beer Bottle Stove
"The fiberglass inside the double wall will not char or become brittle with age." Dan, I am still interested in your internal fiberglass wick -why exactly won't it turn brittle ...

January 10, 6:15pm

Re: CC tests in wind
Tony and Franco, Thanks for your info and thoughts on windscreens. Not to derail Dan's thread, but as Tony's experiments show- good wind screens are key to efficient heating and ther...

January 10, 4:45pm

Re: Re: Re: "Cobalt" Beer Bottle Stove
Tony, Concerning that 80% efficiency....well ah..hmmm.... Ooops! I was misremembering some testing I did on the CFV (Capillary Forced Vaporization) stove I was playing with last March.(see the ...

January 09, 9:44pm

All Reader Reviews by Mark Hurd

Showing 1 - 6 of 6 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Packa eVent
I got an eVent Packa when they first came out and have used it quite a bit over the last couple years. The jacket weighs 16 oz, but it is also a pack cover, so if you subtract 1.5 oz for that you ...

In Clothing - Raingear
October 16, 4:52pm

Warbonnet BlackBird
Like the other reviewers, I am really pleased with this piece of gear. Brandon makes each hammock himself. He offers two weights of fabric and single and double bottom models. The roominess of th...

In Shelters - Hammocks & Accessories
January 22, 6:31pm

Trail Designs Caldera Stove
I am reviewing the Caldera Keg, but much of this also applies to the Caldera Cone for the 1.3L Evernew pot which I also own. Easy To Set Up- unroll the cone and slip the dovetails together then ins...

In Stoves - Alcohol
November 06, 5:10pm

TarpTent
My first tent under 7 lbs. was the Cloudburst 2. Well, no, actually it was a Squall 2 which I got and loved, but my wife, Nancy, thought it might be a little, too snug. So I got the Cloudburst 2. Well...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
April 16, 7:18pm

Six Moon Designs
I purchase both the Gatewood Cape and the Essence '07 pack from this company. Very responsive, quick shipping, and well made products. I have not had a problem with either item. Concerning durabil...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
February 28, 8:27pm

Six Moon Designs Essence '07
Review of the Six Moon Designs Essences ’07 pack I have entered this as a new review as I believe the redesigned pack is significantly different from the previous version and therefore deserves its...

In Backpacks - Frameless
February 27, 6:37pm