BPL Community Profile

Ken Bennett (ken_bennett) - BPL Forum Member

My Locale southeastern usa
About Me Hiker, photographer, etc.
Statenorth carolina

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Ken Bennett

Showing 171 - 180 of 668 | Page: 1 ...9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ...67

Forum » Thread

Re: Wool
I use very light wool base layers year 'round in the Southern Appalachians. For cold weather use, including three section hikes of Georgia, I carry one short sleeve and one long sleeve layer, i...

In GEAR » best base layer for an AT thru hike??
December 27, 2:11pm

Re: Re: TT Rainshadow 2 vs. SMD Lunar Duo
Hey, Chris, Quick comment, as I don't want my previous posts to be misleading -- the floor space of the Lunar Duo is only very slightly larger than the Double Rainbow, if at all (hard to rem...

In GEAR » TT Rainshadow 2 vs. SMD Lunar Duo
December 27, 2:08pm

Re: pick any two
I'm having a really hard time with the idea of a 30 liter pack for winter trips. My winter down bag in a compression stuff sack has a hard time fitting inside my Circuit - it fits, but barely. ...

In GEAR » Best Very Warm (<0) Compressible Synthetic Sleeping Bag
December 26, 7:33pm

Re: sizes that much different in Circuit v. Starlite?
I have both a Starlite and a Circuit, and the Starlite has more capacity. I think I remember reading a BPL review of the Circuit that mentions that it has a smaller capacity than advertised. All I ...

In GEAR » Help! I need a new pack
December 26, 7:29pm

Re: Great Info
Rebecca, I can't really comment on the bathtub floors, as we're pretty careful to pitch the tent on ground that won't have runoff under the tent. We get some pretty big thunderstorms...

December 26, 4:14pm

Re: TT Rainshadow 2 vs. SMD Lunar Duo
We used an original Rainshadow when our daughter was younger. It easily sleeps three people with most of their gear inside (except packs.) It's a very good tent, and I expect the new version wi...

December 25, 7:45am

Re: Solo Tent Feedback Request
Actually, most all of the above, though maybe it really is just a cool gadget... I have a nice tarp, a great homemade bivy, one of the original Hennessy UL hammocks, and several tarptent style s...

In GEAR » Solo Tent Feedback Request
December 21, 3:05pm

Re: fit
I really wanted to like the EXOS 58, but I wore it around REI for an hour and hated it. The metal frame dug into my hips in a most excruciating fashion. I suspect thinner people will find it fits v...

In GEAR » Talk me out of an Exos 58
December 16, 1:37pm

Re: ridiculously chronic cold hands-- raynauds syndrome
My brother suffers from extreme cold in his extremities. For years he has used the metal hand warmers favored by hunters, which burn lighter fluid, if I recall correctly. Not sure if they are even ...

In GEAR » ridiculously chronic cold hands-- raynauds syndrome
December 14, 2:00pm

Re: gortex in shoes
I like Goretex trail runners in the winter with tall goretex gaiters. The gaiters solve many of the issues noted above - they keep out the snow and rain, and keep out water from puddles and even cr...

In GEAR » gortex in shoes
December 14, 1:58pm

All Reader Reviews by Ken Bennett

Showing 1 - 2 of 2 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Photon Freedom Micro (White)
The newest version is the Photon Freedom To The Max, which uses some sort of new technology in the LED that doubles brightness while not using any more battery power. Nice. The Doug Ritter edition ...

In Lights - Flashlights & Headlamps
January 17, 6:10pm

Marmot Ion
I just received my Marmot Ion jacket from Campmor, and I agree with the two most recent posts. I don't think it's sil-nylon, exactly, but my hiking test had water beading up on the inside whil...

In Clothing - Wind & Soft Shell
January 17, 6:04pm