BPL Community Profile

Jim W. (jimqpublic) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale So-Cal
About Me 46 years old. Married with two kids- Daughter born in 2000, son born in 2003. Loved camping as a little kid. Then we moved to the foot of Mt. Whitney when I was 13. I spent my teenage years backpacking, hiking, snowshoeing, xc & downhill skiing. A lot less since then (living in LA).

Jim
StateCalifornia
CountryUSA
My PDF Gear List2009 solo & family gear

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Jim W.

Showing 171 - 180 of 876 | Page: 1 ...9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ...88

Forum » Thread

Short pad leg drop off.
As I get older I have more trouble sleeping out. I've found that having my legs drop off the pad is very uncomfortable. It gets worse with a thicker pad. I suggest some test sleeps with you...

In GEAR » Sleeping pad....need ideas....
February 05, 4:03pm

Re: I Can't access BPL from home network
Not from PC or iPhone wifi, but iPhone 3G brings me to BPL. I also had wield experience with google earth. Program runs and shows terrain, point of interest, etc but not the orthophotos.

In Website & Forum Admin/Support » I Can't access BPL from home network
February 05, 1:29pm

I Can't access BPL from home network
I haven't bee able to access BPL main page, forums, anything from my home Verizon FIOS network since Friday. Tried on two computers, three Browsers, and my IPhone. The IPhone is fine on 3G. ...

In Website & Forum Admin/Support » I Can't access BPL from home network
February 05, 1:09pm

Chaff in California
You've been watching too many Baywatch reruns. The truth is that Malibu water temps can be in the 50's (F) in August. We actually have a mountain or two here also. Christmas week 2010 one ...

In Philosophy & Technique » Maybe Chaff?
February 03, 5:08pm

3 kids, 4 days, yosemite.
We did 2 kids, 5 days: We hiked from Tuolumne to Yosemite Valley when my daughter was 8 and son was 6. One of our goals was for the first day to be fairly easy at not too much altitude. It was...

In Pre-Trip Planning » 3 kids, 4 days, yosemite
February 03, 2:48pm

Re: cardio goes up with trekking poles, not down
"If you aren't seeing this type of upper body workout and cardio improvement, I'd say it's almost certian you are using them wrong." Not using them wrong, just not enough. ...

In GEAR » Is all weight equal? - Trekking Poles ...
February 03, 12:00pm

Re: Trekking pole energy: What is your weakest link?
I used to ride bikes and hike a LOT. My legs were like tree trunks and my arms like toothpicks. After a bunch of years raising kids my cardio capacity is way down but my legs are still pretty str...

February 03, 11:41am

Re: "Is all weight equal? - Trekking Poles ..."
I used to laugh at poles but then tried them. I think they safely double my speed on steep downhills while also reducing stumbles. Flats or moderate uphill they require more energy and I just car...

February 03, 11:18am

CA destinations for East Coast Scouts.
Partiers at 2:00 AM? I've never heard backpackers partying. Trying to scare away bears maybe, but not partying. Car campgrounds are another story. Airport: King's Canyon is slightl...

In Backpacking Light with Scouts » CA destinations
February 03, 9:51am

Tony Re: Heat Exchanger Pots...
Tony- Funny I had asked you a question in that thread regarding your mods but didn't read the test results. We also discussed the issue two years ago. http://tinyurl.com/Jetboilwind-2009 ...

In GEAR » Heat Exchanger Pots- What is inner diameter of heat exchanger?
February 02, 10:31pm

All Reader Reviews by Jim W.

Showing 1 - 5 of 5 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Six Moon Designs StarLite
I purchased the SMD Starlight with hip belt pockets and frame stays for a 2008 hike of the John Muir Trail. Currently it has about 5 weeks of backpacking use. Weight is per spec at just under 2 po...

In Backpacks - Frameless
January 30, 11:19am

Black Diamond Equipment Customer Service
First, I'll say that usually before you call Customer Service of an equipment manufacturer it means something has gone wrong. This wasn't true for me at all- I contacted them for advice on wh...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
February 11, 5:06pm

Nike Lava Dome
My original Lava Domes lasted me several years- Wearing to school, mountain biking, hiking, working as a land surveyor. I remember carrying 5 pound Asolo boots in my pack as I wore the Lava Domes wa...

In Footwear - Boots, Shoes, Gaiters
April 02, 4:40pm

Jetboil Personal Cooking System
4.5/5 for overall performance/weight. I bought a Jetboil PCS last summer and used it for testing at home, a two week solo trip, and during a few family day hikes. I love the system compared to...

In Stoves - Canister
March 05, 2:10pm

Sierra Trading Post (STP) web shopping and service
I've been shopping with STP for at least 20 years. The web made this sort of business much easier to shop. Prices are almost always great. Being closeouts, overstocks, and 2nds you have to ke...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
May 22, 2:48pm