Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

John Whynot (jdw01776) - BPL Guest

My Locale Southeast Texas
About Me Hiking and backpacking (on and off) since 1976, mainly in the northeastern United States.
CityHouston
StateTX
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by John Whynot

Showing 171 - 180 of 557 | Page: 1 ...9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ...56

Forum » Thread

Re: Could "have".... Not " of"
Theory vs idea or guess (I'm a scientist)...

In Chaff » Could "have".... Not " of"
July 26, 10:00am

Re: Base Layers as 'Jammies'
You should also try the Outdoor Research Echo LS. Mine is 3.74 ounces in medium, and has a nice fit and fabric feel. It's now my go to long sleeve layer...

In GEAR » Base Layers as 'Jammies'
July 23, 1:59pm

Re: Socks for light weight breathable shoes ??
I use DeFeet Wolleators in my Inov-8 Terroc 330s - a single pair at a time. Very thin, dry quickly for wool, and don't smell (too much) after 5 days on the trail.

In GEAR » Socks for light weight breathable shoes ??
July 20, 8:47pm

Re: Sometimes High; Sometimes Lonesome: Devil's Thumb Loop - Indians Peaks Wilderness
Thanks for the trip report -- I'm looking forward to backpacking in Colorado at the end of August. Trip reports like this inspire me...

In Post-Trip Reports » Sometimes High; Sometimes Lonesome: Devil's Thumb Loop - Indians Peaks Wilderness
July 19, 8:10pm

Re: Lightest scissors?
Replacement scissors for a SwissCard might work, then you wouldn't have to tear up a functional knife...

In GEAR » Lightest scissors?
July 17, 8:55pm

Re: Insightful
@Tim - The Outdoor Research Echo shirt looks like a Under Armor shirt It has no elastic in it, and is not a tight compression fit, just a nice fit that is not loose and baggy...

In GEAR » Need a Light Weight Long Sleeve
July 17, 6:28am

Re: First solo trip
I've done all of my recent backpacking solo. I spend a bit more time in planning the trip. I try to anticipate what problems might occur, and how I would solve the problem. To put it simply,...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » First solo trip
July 16, 3:19pm

Re: Evernew 600 ML Pot ECA251
I just tried putting a small Snow Peak canister into mine. It fits, but the lid does not fit, as the canister is a bit too high. The small Jet Boil canisters behave the same...

In GEAR » Evernew 600 ML Pot ECA251
July 16, 2:46pm

Re: Alternative fuels to alcohol in alcohol stoves
One advantage of alcohol is that it is easy to find. I don't see many convenience stores carrying decane, but many of them carry HEET...

In Make Your Own Gear » Alternative fuels to alcohol in alcohol stoves
July 16, 7:11am

Re: Need a Light Weight Long Sleeve
Outdoor Research Echo long sleeve T-shirt treated with Permitrin -- 3.8 ounces in size medium...

In GEAR » Need a Light Weight Long Sleeve
July 15, 6:00pm

All Reader Reviews by John Whynot

Showing 1 - 2 of 2 | Page: 1

Review

Category

StickPic camera mount
A clever, well-engineered, and lightweight (0.35 ounces by my scale) gadget for mounting a camera on the tip of a trekking pole. Should work with any compact camera with a tripod socket. Works ver...

In Photography - Hiking & Backpacking Cameras
June 16, 10:55am

BPL Thorofare Trekking Pants
I purchased these as a replacement for my overbuilt Montbell Stretch Windpants. The fabric of the Trekking pants is a microgrid ripstop nylon, with a slightly textured inner surface. Size medium...

In Clothing - Raingear
December 07, 8:31pm