BPL Community Profile

Jim Colten (jcolten) - BPL Premium Member

My Locale MN
About Me Jim Colten has not added a biography yet.
My PDF Gear Listtest

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Jim Colten

Showing 171 - 180 of 1837 | Page: 1 ...9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ...184

Forum » Thread

Re: Gear Confessions
I have never, ever, not even once failed to return home with at least 25% of the stove fuel I packed (alcohol). And then there's my three boxes of matches, one being "stormproof", ...

In GEAR » Gear Confessions
May 23, 5:49pm

Re: and John Muir damn well DID use a pencil on the Trail!!!
It is rumored that Hemingway used Blackwings, but it has not been substantiated. He may also have used a pencil but I know I saw a manual typewriter in his writing room when touring his Key We...

In GEAR » Which Pencil for the JMT?
May 16, 8:22pm

Hail in a tent or bivvy
I've been caught out in 1/4" hail a couple times ... ouch. I would NOT expect to enjoy the experience in a bivvy typical of what you'll usually find used by your average BPLer, myself...

In Editor's Roundtable » Mountain SuperUltraLight Backpacking – Going SUL in the Mountains with Adequate Shelter, Insulation, and Rain Protection. Part 1: Concepts and Scope.
May 15, 7:01am

Re: This isn't about Balls & Sunshine
It's about the demise of civilization; about a society that has lost it's moral compass; ... I remember a time when people didn't have to lock their homes or cars; a time you could park...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Balls and Sunshine Ripped-off on the CDT!!
May 12, 4:17pm

Re: Avoiding a Solid Mass
That has worked for me for 40 years in principle however sacks can be convenient jn a large structured pack. were you meaning unstructured? That is where I find stuff sacks worth carrying a c...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Stuff Sacks- overkill?
May 09, 3:32am

Re: Midwest Hikers (Ice Age Trail)
Hi Nate, I'm pretty sure the IAT had a booth at the Midwest Mountaineering Expo ... did you speak to them. Their website: http://www.iceagetrail.org/home

In Hiking Partners / Group Trip Announcements » Midwest Hikers (Ice Age Trail)
May 08, 8:15pm

Re: seams on pack
David said: Most seams are overbuilt on commercial packs. They can be a bear to patch if damaged (by say a bear) and you need to take out a seam in the process of repair. You can say that again!...

In Make Your Own Gear » Finishing/reinforcing seams on a pack
May 07, 8:07pm

Re: vultures
Those are Griffin Vultures ... one of the "Old World Vultures", which are related to eagles and hawks, unlike "New World Vultures", which are a family of their own. Scavenging ...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Vultures eat hiker
May 06, 8:18pm

bump: FS: REI Downtime 15 sleeping bag
bump

In Gear Swap » FS: REI Downtime 15 sleeping bag
April 30, 2:44pm

Re: large NeoAir
Replied to Brent's PM ... trade has been arranged

In Gear Swap » WTT: large classic neoair + cash for large neoair xlite
April 30, 2:38pm

All Reader Reviews by Jim Colten

Showing 1 - 3 of 3 | Page: 1

Review

Category

TarpTent
My entry into the world of tarping was with Hernry's orginal squall. Later that year the Cloudburst was introduced. I contacted him about an idea of converting my squall to use an arched front p...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
December 30, 11:04am

Thru-Hiker.com
1) good products 2) friendly and useful help before ans after sale 3) great customer service I'd rate Thru-Hiker a 6 if that was an option

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
December 01, 8:10am

Minibull Designs Pocket Puck
Hector, I had similar experience .... but only the first time I lit it. Since then I've been giving the pocket puck about 15-30 seconds more warmup time and it has always stayed lit. There is a...

In Stoves - Alcohol
October 16, 6:04am