BPL Community Profile

James Marco (jamesdmarco) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Finger Lakes
About Me Backpacker, hiker, cannoer, fisherman, since 1960 or so, now retired. I enjoy being outdoors and vary my gear to match what I am doing, where I am going, and who I am going with. I mostly head into the Adirondacks.
jdm
CityIthaca
StateNew York
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by James Marco

Showing 171 - 180 of 1916 | Page: 1 ...9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ...192

Forum » Thread

Re: Re: Re: Sleeping Wth Your Food in Black Bear Country
Well, Sleeping with your food in bear country is a lot like playing Russian Roulette five times with a five shot pistol. It is not a matter of "if", more a matter of "when." You...

In Philosophy & Technique » Sleeping Wth Your Food in Black Bear Country
March 19, 11:12am

Re: Re: WM Innovation
I agree with Nick. I would not expect WM to immediatly jump into any fairly new market. They are slow to innovate. That was never their interest. Their focus was to produce high quality sleeping ba...

In GEAR » How useful is waterproof down in a sleeping bag?
March 18, 6:47am

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Classic External Frame Project
Well, I think at 3 pounds, save it and use it. 3# is about where any external pack should be and plenty rigid enough for 70-80 pounds (military packs being somewhat more specialized.) They never se...

In GEAR » Classic External Frame Project
March 16, 5:15am

Re: Cheap Down for DIY
Vince, I am not sure about your testing methode. Here is the standards: US 2000 norm: cylinder diameter: 241 mm conditioning: steaming +3 to 5 days in a screen box compression cylinder: non-mechan...

In Gear Deals » Cheap Down for DIY
March 15, 9:08am

Re: GG Murmur w/Thinlight?
Glenn, Yup, it will fit. The pad keeper will fit anything up to about 2" thick, maybe a bit more, with some persuasion. I have used 1,2,3,4 and 5 layer NightLight pads. But, I had purchased 3 ...

In GEAR » GG Murmur w/Thinlight?
March 14, 8:44pm

Battery charging
Well, it has been a few years since I checked, but here is a link that's pretty good. With this info absorbed you can easly calculate the "best" combination for what you need. Lithium...

In GEAR » 14500's Purchase Advice Please
March 14, 5:17am

Re: Re: Using the "filler" method with a bear can
Bob, that's about what I do. The bear ball gets wett sometimes anywy. Dew is a bitch with potatoe flakes.

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » Using the "filler" method with a bear can
March 14, 4:48am

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: best solar charger right now? march 14"
Well, solar chargers are of interest, but only as more permanent pieces of hardware. With todays technology, they do not pay for hiking. In most cases, a 4 pack of lithium AA bateries will last as ...

In GEAR » best solar charger right now? march 14"
March 14, 4:43am

Smallest pack dimensions you guys?
Well, the origonal pack dimensions as posted were so close to a GG Kumo/Murmur that I started looking into some of the other packs and reasons why most cannot carry 25 lbs fairly comfortably in the...

In SuperUltraLight (SUL) Backpacking Discussion » Smallest volume pack dimensions you guys? Cubic inches...
March 14, 4:23am

Re: Spinnaker???
Yeah, there is still some .75oz/yd spinnacker out there. Generally it is not too good for waterproofness, though. It needs to be fully coated with some mineral spirits and caulk. This brings the we...

In Make Your Own Gear » Spinnaker???
March 13, 2:38pm

All Reader Reviews by James Marco

Showing 1 - 5 of 5 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Optimus/Primus? Svea 123R
The SVEA 123r is my standard stove for camping. I have spent about 40 years trying to replace the little beast. No such luck. I have found several different stoves that work well for 2-3 days (alcohol...

In Stoves - White Gas
April 19, 3:40am

Klymit Inertia X Frame
I picked up a Xframe (full size) a couple weeks ago. I took it out for 5 nights last weekend with my daughter, Brenda. I had a good trip but was unimpressed by the pad. I tried various techniques with...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
July 07, 5:16am

gossamer murmur
I have used the old GG G5 pack for well beyond a servicable lifetime. Patching, reinforcing, and repatching...it finaly died and I replaced it with a 2012 Murmur, one of the first off the production l...

In Backpacks - Frameless
December 25, 6:06pm

Trail Designs Caldera Stove
Great little piece of gear. Light, easy to use, miserly on fuel. Keeps the heat in on the pot and does a great job of boiling water. I will complain that it does not let enough heat out sometimes......

In Stoves - Alcohol
December 07, 3:50am

Thermarest Neo-Air
The NeoAir is a good pad, with a fantisticcall price. I have a medium which just fits me at 5'9". I usually inflate this fully while setting up camp, giving it a couple of breaths before slee...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
December 07, 3:22am