BPL Community Profile

James Marco (jamesdmarco) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Finger Lakes
About Me Backpacker, hiker, cannoer, fisherman, since 1960 or so, now retired. I enjoy being outdoors and vary my gear to match what I am doing, where I am going, and who I am going with. I mostly head into the Adirondacks.
jdm
CityIthaca
StateNew York
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by James Marco

Showing 171 - 180 of 1787 | Page: 1 ...9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ...179

Forum » Thread

Wind Screen/Heat Shield
Well, we can agree that the galvinization is bad for you. There are a lot of design components to screens. For such a simple device you would think they don't do a lot. Heat losses right thr...

In Make Your Own Gear » Wind Screen
November 11, 6:22am

Re: MontBell Plasma 1000 Down Jacket Review
Good review, and Thanks, Will!

In Editor's Roundtable » MontBell Plasma 1000 Down Jacket Review
November 07, 10:40pm

Re: Re: Galv.?
Yeah, avoid galvanized.

In Make Your Own Gear » Wind Screen
November 07, 4:19am

Re: Tea ball report 2
Hey, Bolster, yes, a dash of salt to a pot works well. I had heard that the egg shells attract some of the oils making the coffee less bitter. I don't know. Like the above Cowboy Coffee, I f...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » Making a Cup from Ground Coffee
November 07, 4:16am

Re: Re: Re: Safest alcohol for stoves - US perspective
I don't know of any *commercial* stoves. But I know Hikin Jim had quite a problem getting ethanol to burn in a series of stoves he was working on a few years ago. I believe he decided to go ...

In GEAR » Safest alcohol for stoves - US perspective
November 06, 4:23pm

Re: Safest alcohol for stoves - US perspective
Philip, Everclear(ethanol) is somewhat better as a fuel than HEET(methanol.) I think I remember around 12500BTU/lb and 9500 BTU/lb, respectivly. Don't forget the 5% water if you bother checking...

In GEAR » Safest alcohol for stoves - US perspective
November 06, 2:25pm

ADK's
Yeah, you had a tough go of it. The trail up to Sewerd was surprisingly difficult from Ward Brook. I don't think there actually was one. Just two or three spots where the actual paths sort of c...

In Editor's Roundtable » From Bushwick to Bushwhack: UL Compromises deep in the ADK wilderness
November 06, 12:22pm

Re: Tent/shelter system with small staked footprint under 1 lb. total possible?
Well, this is a difficult set of parameters. No tents will actually fill all your needs. Here is one that comes closest to the weight, weather-proof, warmth and foot print, but you loose some head ...

In GEAR » Tent/shelter system with small staked footprint under 1 lb. total possible?
November 05, 7:21am

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: All of the above.
Thanks for the info on the UV. Looks like the Steripen will work.

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » POP QUIZ
November 04, 7:44pm

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: All of the above.
Sorry Ian, I missed that. It makes sense, though...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » POP QUIZ
November 04, 12:18pm

All Reader Reviews by James Marco

Showing 1 - 5 of 5 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Optimus/Primus? Svea 123R
The SVEA 123r is my standard stove for camping. I have spent about 40 years trying to replace the little beast. No such luck. I have found several different stoves that work well for 2-3 days (alcohol...

In Stoves - White Gas
April 19, 3:40am

Klymit Inertia X Frame
I picked up a Xframe (full size) a couple weeks ago. I took it out for 5 nights last weekend with my daughter, Brenda. I had a good trip but was unimpressed by the pad. I tried various techniques with...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
July 07, 5:16am

gossamer murmur
I have used the old GG G5 pack for well beyond a servicable lifetime. Patching, reinforcing, and repatching...it finaly died and I replaced it with a 2012 Murmur, one of the first off the production l...

In Backpacks - Frameless
December 25, 6:06pm

Trail Designs Caldera Stove
Great little piece of gear. Light, easy to use, miserly on fuel. Keeps the heat in on the pot and does a great job of boiling water. I will complain that it does not let enough heat out sometimes......

In Stoves - Alcohol
December 07, 3:50am

Thermarest Neo-Air
The NeoAir is a good pad, with a fantisticcall price. I have a medium which just fits me at 5'9". I usually inflate this fully while setting up camp, giving it a couple of breaths before slee...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
December 07, 3:22am