BPL Community Profile

James Marco (jamesdmarco) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Finger Lakes
About Me Backpacker, hiker, cannoer, fisherman, since 1960 or so, now retired. I enjoy being outdoors and vary my gear to match what I am doing, where I am going, and who I am going with. I mostly head into the Adirondacks.
jdm
CityIthaca
StateNew York
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by James Marco

Showing 171 - 180 of 1780 | Page: 1 ...9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ...178

Forum » Thread

Re: Tent/shelter system with small staked footprint under 1 lb. total possible?
Well, this is a difficult set of parameters. No tents will actually fill all your needs. Here is one that comes closest to the weight, weather-proof, warmth and foot print, but you loose some head ...

In GEAR » Tent/shelter system with small staked footprint under 1 lb. total possible?
November 05, 7:21am

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: All of the above.
Thanks for the info on the UV. Looks like the Steripen will work.

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » POP QUIZ
November 04, 7:44pm

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: All of the above.
Sorry Ian, I missed that. It makes sense, though...

November 04, 12:18pm

Re: Re: Re: Re: All of the above.
Roger, I think you must've missed that day in anatomy class. I knew this in fourth or fifth grade, part of basic human systems. Much much more than molecular transport, cilia move mucus, dust, ...

November 04, 5:25am

Re: Re: All of the above.
"> Let''s take it as fact that Giardia can pass through the nose to infect. Why???? Frankly, I think it is a rather silly idea. It has no realistic mechanism." Well, not r...

November 03, 5:41pm

Re: Re: Re: Making a Lid out of Alum. Flashing
Well, I have tried a lot of different methodes. The easiest was to simply cut a disk of about 1/4" over the size wanted. Then just tap arount the center on an anvil. This creates a dished, fai...

In Make Your Own Gear » Making a Lid out of Alum. Flashing
November 03, 10:25am

Re: Heat flow around a pot
"James,you might find some interesting information about heat flow on the bottom of a pot in this thread over at my website: Heat flow Around a Pot by “Tony” Does that bundt pan fit p...

In GEAR » My Latest Alcohol Stove Design
November 02, 5:11am

Thru-Hiking Alaska’s Arctic: A 1,000 Mile Solo Traverse
Well Done!!

In Editor's Roundtable » Thru-Hiking Alaska’s Arctic: A 1,000 Mile Solo Traverse
October 30, 9:05am

Re: Heat Exchanger
"... Do you mean that the heat exchanger has concentric ridges like a Fresnel lens? And it is built into the pot? I have thought about making a die that would press large concentric ridges int...

October 27, 7:19pm

Re: Re: Re: My Latest Alcohol Stove Design
"@Heat not only flows into a pot, it will flow out of a pot, simultaneously. It's my belief that a pot of water surrounded by constant 300 degree flames is constantly absorbing water un...

October 25, 1:39pm

All Reader Reviews by James Marco

Showing 1 - 4 of 4 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Klymit Inertia X Frame
I picked up a Xframe (full size) a couple weeks ago. I took it out for 5 nights last weekend with my daughter, Brenda. I had a good trip but was unimpressed by the pad. I tried various techniques with...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
July 07, 5:16am

gossamer murmur
I have used the old GG G5 pack for well beyond a servicable lifetime. Patching, reinforcing, and repatching...it finaly died and I replaced it with a 2012 Murmur, one of the first off the production l...

In Backpacks - Frameless
December 25, 6:06pm

Trail Designs Caldera Stove
Great little piece of gear. Light, easy to use, miserly on fuel. Keeps the heat in on the pot and does a great job of boiling water. I will complain that it does not let enough heat out sometimes......

In Stoves - Alcohol
December 07, 3:50am

Thermarest Neo-Air
The NeoAir is a good pad, with a fantisticcall price. I have a medium which just fits me at 5'9". I usually inflate this fully while setting up camp, giving it a couple of breaths before slee...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
December 07, 3:22am