BPL Community Profile

Zack Karas (iwillchopyou@hotmail.com) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Lake Tahoe
About Me Trail names that haven't stuck: Oprah, Sir Craps-a-Lot, Runaway Blouse, Bunefa, Steve, Big McLargeHuge, The Inedible Uncle Fabulous.

Don't ask.

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Zack Karas

Showing 171 - 180 of 399 | Page: 1 ...9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ...40

Forum » Thread

Unsupported?
Maybe I missed this part, but what are you doing unsupported? Going back to my suggestion to make a few gear lists for different circumstances, everyone who thru-hikes the PCT carries different ge...

In Gear Lists » PCT/JMT List
August 17, 10:00pm

jmt/pct
You should probably just put together a desert (umbrella, no deet, etc) and then a separate JMT (no umbrella, deet, etc) gear list. Both would probably be under 7 lbs? Your PCT thru-hike gear l...

August 17, 7:53pm

You're right!
The more technical the footing, the faster she is. Most of the very fast hikers I know from the long trails are all guys who are around 5'6" to 5'8". They must have struck a nic...

In GEAR » Backpacking Weight Ranks
August 17, 6:24pm

And short people have to hike farther...
My wife is always pointing out how short people have to take more steps to cover the same distance. For every 5 of her steps, I take 4. She doesn't like for me to forget that.

In GEAR » Backpacking Weight Ranks
August 17, 6:21pm

pct/jmt
It looks really good. Since you want to get under 7 lbs from 7.6, you can ditch the umbrella and use a Rainshield jacket instead of the Event to save a total of approximately 8.7 oz. Since you ha...

August 17, 6:17pm

Bear on SHR
While I'm not posting because bears frighten me (being from Tahoe, I treat black bears like a naughty dog), I'm just curious as to what kind of bear encounters anyone has had on the SHR. I...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Sierra High Route discussion
August 17, 4:27pm

Lynn's a smart cookie
+1 Lynn. Well said. I'm always surprised by the number of people waiting for the next fad, when people have for millenia known how to stay healthy. It seems most people want their cake and t...

In Philosophy & Technique » ULers Carrying an Extra 20-40 lbs - WHY?!
August 17, 3:16pm

SHR pace
My view on pace is trying to balance taking the time to enjoy views/experience with limiting time between resupplies. I don't like to carry more than 6 days of food, but have also had to carry...

August 17, 3:13pm

shr
Dave, thanks for your insight. As far as what I meant by early season, to me early season is when there is still predominately snow.

August 17, 2:26pm

thanks
thanks, Greg--I have no idea how to post active links like that.

In Hiking Partners / Group Trip Announcements » Sierra High Route-1 partner needed for a section
August 17, 10:07am

All Reader Reviews by Zack Karas

Showing 1 - 10 of 20 | Page: 1 2

Review

Category

Backpacking Light Ti Esbit stove
As many previous reviewers have noted, this light stove works well and supports my ti pot well. I only use this in lower elevations and warmer weather, but that is due to esbit not the stove. I ...

In Stoves - Other
September 15, 12:36pm

Therm-A-Rest Ridgerest
I buy a size regular and cut it into two 30" long sections and I believe they weigh 5oz. One pad will last me for about 1200 miles before I replace it--though the replaced pad still has life lef...

In Sleeping Pads - Foam
September 15, 12:33pm

Bibler Eldorado
I have only used it around 14 or so nights since then (only use it in more rugged and windy environments when snow is a possibility). My wife and I used it for our 10-day Tibet trek and it perfor...

In Shelters - Single Wall Tents
September 09, 4:47pm

BPL Blow-Up Pillow
I had high hopes for this pillow--the single baffle version. I have found that I have to inflate it very little to avoid my head rolling all over the place. So, in order for this pillow to keep my h...

In Miscellaneous Products
September 09, 4:36pm

Adidas Supernova Trail 5
After having foot problems, I went to a podiatrist and had custom orthotics made. The Dr. also recommended these shoes and to replace all shoes every 300-500 miles. Since using these, I have had z...

In Footwear - Boots, Shoes, Gaiters
September 09, 4:04pm

Red Ledge Thunderlight pants
I'm surprised that more people don't use and/or know about these. My pants weigh 6.5oz size medium and fit over my shoes. They have button snaps at the ankle to allow for 2 different sizes b...

In Clothing - Raingear
September 09, 4:00pm

Brasslite Turbo II-D
Purchased in 2004, used for around 6000 trail miles. Weighs 2.5oz, so there are lighter alternatives out there, but for the slimmer sleeve I feel it is worth it as it allows a broader trail diet. ...

In Stoves - Alcohol
September 08, 10:15am

Western Mountaineering Pod 30
Purchased in 2005, used for entire CDT, 10-day Tibet trek, Iceland thruhike, 6 months hiking in NZ, plus about another 1000 or so miles. Weighs 17 oz after cutting off pad sleeve. Only downsid...

In Sleeping Bags - Quilts & Top Bags
September 08, 10:12am

Big Agnes Copper Spur UL 3
I recently purchased this for a thruhike of Iceland based on its' weight. It performed well, but let me explain... The foot-end of the tent is lower than the head-end, plus the vestibules are ...

In Shelters - Double Wall Tents
September 08, 10:06am

Dirty Girl Gaiters
These would be a 5 if the supplied adhesive strip resisting peeling after very wet days. Superglue was the answer and has held the velcro down wonderfully. Very breathable (and I'm a sweater...

In Footwear - Boots, Shoes, Gaiters
September 08, 9:59am