BPL Community Profile

HK Newman (hknewman) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Western US
About Me Started backpacking in 1998 in my early 30's- US with some global travel (Pacific, Europe, Asia, northern Mexico). Semi-retired from govt type work, now working 2-3 contracts per yr, trying to keep summer and winter free to backpack, mountain-bike,snowshoe. Here to hike maybe a bit more further, faster while still enjoying scenery, as I still haven't discovered the fountain of youth. Have a 20F kit, .. starting on a 45F one, maybe a deeper winter one (all interchangeable) need to update gear list.
CityDuke City
StateNM
CountryUSA
My PDF Gear ListEver changing gear list

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by HK Newman

Showing 171 - 180 of 1138 | Page: 1 ...9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ...114

Forum » Thread

Re: Top Ultralight Tent Review
Ok piece though the Pulitzer may not be forthcoming. Told me what to look for in these tents were like from a designer point of view and not a writers. Could've been more clear on criteria, c...

In Editor's Roundtable » Top Ultralight Tent Review
April 16, 10:59am

Re: re: Dreaming with your tax return...
Sounds like you are doing well financially and have a field that will only grow (ie. physical therapy). Maybe gear or soft goods to extend your hiking range in lower temperatures? I'd say mor...

In GEAR » Dreaming with my tax return...
April 16, 10:21am

Worsening drivers rant ... daily rant
Sorry to hear that (truly) but there's always been a problem with drunk drivers, though a crackdown proved successful in New Mexico. Sadly there's just more bad and aggressive drivers to a...

In Chaff » Frickin Drunk Drivers!!!
April 16, 10:12am

Re: metabolism
... I was always hoping that trail running and therefore keeping my metabolism up was good for my hiking but I see SO many chubby/overweight middle aged men hiking that I thought I might be doing ...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » Metabolism vs Body Fat
April 16, 7:57am

Re: Metabolism vs Body Fat
Fat: A big wall climber said he did this in an issue of backpacker about 10 yrs ago (think the first name was Pete?), scarfing down fat-laden calories. Visiting family and friends during the holid...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » Metabolism vs Body Fat
April 15, 12:27pm

So not going to matter
Not much to get riled up over. All these counties will get sucked dry by the growing Las Vegas metro water dept and just less water in general (whether you call it an extended drought or global wa...

In Chaff » Bundy......A True American Hero?
April 14, 8:45pm

Re: Patagonia - A long trip report
Fantastic. Too bad about the food though

In Post-Trip Reports » Patagonia - A long trip report
April 13, 8:25pm

Re: ponzi
It is a little more transparent though. There will likely be more adjustments (age, maybe income), but I do not see an alternative to Social Security and Medicare anytime soon though. GW Bush co...

In Chaff » Obamacare...the real world
April 13, 8:19pm

Re: REI coupon/dividend - what ya got?
Had a lot of dividend so a Westcomb Neoshell is on the way. Heard a lot about the material ... we'll see.

In GEAR » REI coupon/dividend - what ya got?
April 13, 5:13pm

Re: Re: Tent, sleeping bag, and stove recommendations for cheap 4 season conditions
... and where are you going specifically? Central America is mostly tropical but are you planning higher elevations to the Andes, .. the Patagonia region? Is this backpacking (both backcountry an...

In GEAR » TENT, SLEEPING BAG AND STOVE SUGGESTIONS.
April 13, 1:50pm

All Reader Reviews by HK Newman

HK Newman has posted no reviews.