BPL Community Profile

HK Newman (hknewman) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Western US
About Me Started backpacking about 98. Semi-retired from a govt type job working on the side. Here to hike more comfortably and maybe a bit faster iot experience scenic hikes. Done with my 20F kit, .. starting on a 45F one (both interchangable UL to semi SUL whatever that is).

Gear list was for 3 days but made it almost as a "24-hour" adventure (like 25 hours) using the Z-pack
Statethe West is the Best
CountryUSA
My PDF Gear ListEver changing gear list

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by HK Newman

Showing 171 - 180 of 993 | Page: 1 ...9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ...100

Forum » Thread

Re: September Trip to the Winds
Great pics and write up, answering some questions I had about the Winds. Thanks.

In Post-Trip Reports » September Trip to the Winds
November 04, 12:41pm

Hiking by moonlight
It is very different. Got out of Saguaro Natl Park (Tucson AZ) the other day by moonlight as even the half-moon illuminated my shelter and surroundings. Since I couldn't sleep anymore, I hik...

In Philosophy & Technique » Winter backpacking: Hike nights, sleep days?
November 02, 9:37pm

Dri-down .. Re: How easy is it to wet down?
Roger said … ...For a start, many have noted that with a good DWR on the surface fabric, it is actually quite hard to get down gear wet. I guess if you cowboy camp on top of a mountain while...

In GEAR » Western Mountaineering on water resistant down and Pertex fabric
November 02, 10:51am

Re: Seriously...Zimmerbuilt packs are awesome....
If you know what you want in the UL sphere, the quality of those packs are pretty awesome.

In GEAR » Seriously...Zimmerbuilt packs are awesome....
November 01, 6:56pm

Umbrellas and the destagnation of the cottage gear industry
Drusilla said: ..The hail got to be marble sized, three inches deep and went on for 45 minutes! Without that umbrella life would have been miserable and bruising....it kept us both sheltered and r...

In GEAR » The Pros and Cons of Backpacking Umbrellas
November 01, 10:40am

Re: Guadalupes in December?
Let me know as well if you are doing this on the first weekend in early December. I have 2.5 days off and would come from the West of the Guads. I have to be gone PM Sunday, on the road at dinner...

In Pre-Trip Planning » Guadalupes in December?
November 01, 10:30am

ULA in cuben
Noticed their cuben fiber option on their website is updated as well. Brings the price in line with other cuben pack makers - fair enough. Wish they'd have a rich red cuben fabric though...

In GEAR » New ULA packs coming?
November 01, 9:27am

Brooks Range thru
Congrats. Just all sorts of awesome pictures.

In Editor's Roundtable » Thru-Hiking Alaska’s Arctic: A 1,000 Mile Solo Traverse
October 30, 4:51am

Re: Dark Canyon
Looks like a pretty neat hike for the cooler months. Was the 20 degree bag sufficient for the nighttime lows?

In Post-Trip Reports » Dark Canyon
October 29, 7:24am

Re: Water treatment for blue-green (toxic) algae [in New Mexico]
That blue-green algae is a little too close to my hiking grounds, though downhill from my backpacking grounds. Of course, over the millennia, elk never had a problem before all the herds and whatn...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » Water treatment for blue-green (toxic) algae
October 23, 12:27pm

All Reader Reviews by HK Newman

HK Newman has posted no reviews.