BPL Community Profile

Mary D (hikinggranny) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Gateway to Columbia River Gorge
About Me 60-odd years of hiking and backpacking experience, mostly in Rockies and in Pacific Northwest. Relatively recent convert (started 6 years ago) to lightweight backpacking. Continue to do a lot of gear research to lighten load further.
StateOregon
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Mary D

Showing 171 - 180 of 2713 | Page: 1 ...9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ...272

Forum » Thread

Portlandhikers.org down right now
The www.portlandhikers.org site is down. Yesterday the host server owners (it's a shared server) said they were repairing the hard disk. Today they are still repairing it. Per "Martel...

In Hiking Partners / Group Trip Announcements » Looking for a Portland or PNW backpacking buddy
April 08, 3:48pm

portlandhikers.org is down?
Portland Hikers' site has been having some problems lately, especially evenings and weekends when a lot of folks are on. It's a shared server, so it may not necessarily be a PH problem. I...

In On the Web » portlandhikers.org is down?
April 07, 5:03pm

Why is only the last page of a thread is available
I checked the two threads you cited, including reading the first few posts. Both are only one-page threads. They are complete as is. The second one I am familiar with since I posted to it on Thu...

In Website & Forum Admin/Support » Why is only the last page of a thread is available
April 06, 10:31am

WIND RIVER BEAR CANISTER?
I've never seen a bear nor a ranger on the trail, for whatever that's worth. I agree with the previous poster, though--the bears are there! Please, let's not let any of them know what...

In Pre-Trip Planning » WIND RIVER BEAR CANISTER?
April 05, 1:24pm

Pasta for FBC
I've given up using any sort of pasta except couscous. Couscous can be used straight out of the box with no preparation time and is basically instant, even the whole grain variety which I use...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » Pasta for FBC
April 04, 1:45pm

IGBC approved containers as of January 2013: http://www.igbconline.org/images/pdf/130401_Certified_Products_list.pdf Re the Bearikade--start here and page down to the posts by Greg Mihalik: h...

April 04, 1:32pm

Post-hike rituals
The same is true in the Pacific Northwest. Excellent public transit in the big cities, but little or none to outlying trailheads. What little exists is very inconvenient, requiring many transfers...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Post-hike rituals
April 03, 11:36pm

http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/fsbdev3_063303.pdf The hang shown here will definitely amuse anyone familiar with Sierra bears! The main problem is above timberline. You can ei...

April 03, 11:29pm

How beer gave us civilization
As a Lutheran, I have to say Amen to that! Katie Luther was renowned for her home brew, so we Lutherans have always considered beer "our" beverage, even though we don't serve it in...

In On the Web » How beer gave us civilization
March 30, 6:58pm

WTB Wyoming Hiking Guidebooks
I don't have that one but have 4 guidebooks to the Wind Rivers.... I got the one by Finis Mitchell (from the 1970s but a fun read) just before the printed copies ran out and the price escalate...

In Gear Swap » WTB Wyoming Hiking Guidebooks
March 28, 11:14pm

All Reader Reviews by Mary D

Showing 1 - 10 of 10 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Thermarest Neo-Air
I purchased a short NeoAir in late May of 2009 from REI (using the 20% off coupon, which made it a less exorbitant purchase). The prospect of an air mat that was considerably lighter than my POE Insu...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
June 10, 3:22pm

Gossamer Gear ThinLight insulation pad 1/8" approx. 2 oz.
So far I have found several uses for the 1/8" GG Thinlight pad: (1) Dog sleeping pad (cut to 36" long). It's just right for my 80-lb. dog who sleeps curled up in a ball. He's ...

In Sleeping Pads - Foam
April 18, 6:49pm

Potable Aqua Iodine Drinking Water Germicidal Tablets
I used these back in the mid-1980's to disinfect drinking water (that's about all that was available then other than filters or boiling). After one month, using them only on weekends, I broke...

In Hydration - Water Treatment
April 07, 6:44pm

Big Agnes Pumphouse Multi-Use Dry Sack and Pad Pump
I purchased a Big Agnes Pumphouse soon after they came on the market in the summer of 2007. It is advertised on the BA web site as a "...pad pump, dry sack, stuff sack, pillow, water carrier, ba...

In Miscellaneous Products
October 18, 2:54pm

Sea to Summit Ultra-Sil Dry Sack
In the past, I've read in a number of places (including Jim Wood's excellent article on "Keeping Your Critical Gear Dry") that these sacks have failed the submersion test. This prob...

In Miscellaneous Products
October 18, 2:07pm

Pacific Outdoor Products Insul Mat Max-Thermo
My POE Insulmat Max Thermo (now the Ether Thermo, but I got the old model on closeout) just finished its second backpacking season. I'm in my early 70's so these old bones and joints ain...

October 17, 5:34pm

Big Agnes Clearview
I know that this pad is supposedly the same thickness as my POE InsulMat Max Thermo (now the Ether Thermo). However, it has more tubes, which seem to make it effectively thinner. The Clearview has t...

October 17, 5:01pm

SteriPen Adventurer
My big complaint with the Steripen Adventurer is that I could not work the switch! It's fine for those with big strong hands (the kind who regularly open jars for their SO), but not for me (I can...

In Hydration - Water Treatment
October 17, 1:52pm

Six Moon Designs Lunar Solo
I bought a Six Moon Designs Lunar Solo (e) in June of 2007 and used it through two backpacking seasons. First of all, I need to point out that my Labrador retriever backpacks with me (he's part...

In Shelters - Single Wall Tents
October 17, 1:28pm

Backcountrygear.com
I am a relatively recent convert to lightweight backpacking (I didn't know all this wonderful stuff existed--you'd never know it from a trip through REI or by reading Backpacker) and this is m...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
October 17, 12:38pm