BPL Community Profile

Stephen Barber (grampa) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale SoCal
About Me Stephen Barber has not added a biography yet.

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Stephen Barber

Showing 171 - 180 of 1292 | Page: 1 ...9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ...130

Forum » Thread

re: Re: PIF hiker box
@ Marcia and Justin: Here's the link to the spreadsheet, which works much like an Excel spreadsheet. Add your name, etc. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AkvOhpIEPh9VdEJyWkJvZzVI...

In Gear Swap » New type of PIF -- the Travelling Hiker Box!
October 04, 10:04am

National Forests?
The National Forest websites all have a paragraph about the Forest Service closing down - but they say nothing about people being excluded from the forests themselves.

In Pre-Trip Planning » Do I need a Wilderness permit to get on the JMT during the Government Shutdown?
October 01, 3:44pm

Re: Re: "Why barefoot isn't best for most runners"
"A 2003 study out of Harvard University found men over 50 who run at least three hours a week have a 30% lower risk of impotence than those who do little or no exercise." So the REAL d...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Why barefoot isn't best for most runners
September 30, 10:15am

Texas - East or West?
Do you consider Texas to be part of the eastern USA or the west? Historically, I think it's generally been thought of as part of the west. Louis L'Amour certainly thought so. And when I bri...

In Gear Swap » New type of PIF -- the Travelling Hiker Box!
September 29, 8:14pm

Sierra cup - other uses
A Sierra cup makes a decent but very small gold pan.

In GEAR » Sierra Cup
September 27, 6:26pm

re: Merino blend vs synthetic for odor?
I don't know anything about this particular item, but I've used the Patagonia merino wrapped around a synthetic core and had no stink issues at all.

In GEAR » Is a Merino Blend any better than a Synthetic for odor?
September 23, 3:08pm

re: What would you have done?
About the only other thing I would have done would be to pull out a map, show him where he was, show him where the turn-off/trail was, and assure him that he couldn't get there from here withou...

In Philosophy & Technique » What would you have done?
September 23, 3:02pm

re: Re: RE RE Expeds leak
Like Dave said, you can get multiple reports of failing inflatables. In my case, I've had multiple problems with NeoAirs, and not a single problem with my Exped UL Synmat or Downmat. Thus I ...

In GEAR » Exped Synmat UL7 LW or Big Agnes Q-Core LW?
September 23, 12:19pm

Re: Re: lightweight and liquid-tight bottles
Ditto on the small Nalgene bottles. A bit heavier than some bottles, but they just don't leak!

In GEAR » lightweight and liquid-tight bottles
September 22, 9:13pm

re: Minimalist Bug Solutions?
The obvious questions are, "How sane are you to begin with? And how much/little would it take to push you over the edge?" ;)

In GEAR » Minimalist Bug Solutions?
September 19, 2:57pm

All Reader Reviews by Stephen Barber

Showing 1 - 6 of 6 | Page: 1

Review

Category

SmarTube Drinking System for Bottles
Since having a hydration bladder spring a leak inside my pack, I have avoided all such bladders. I stuck to simple water bottles until a couple of years ago when I ran across the SmarTube - a drinking...

In Hydration - Water Storage Containers
May 13, 1:33pm

ZPacks Sleeping Bag 40* and 20*
This is the side sleepers dream bag! The bags are filled with 900 fill power goose down, outer shell is green .95 oz/sq yd Pertex Quantum ripstop nylon, and the liner is black .67 oz/sq yd nylon. ...

In Sleeping Bags - Mummy & Other
July 25, 9:25pm

Therm-a-Rest NeoAir XLite Sleeping Pad
Upon receipt of the pad, I inflated it to sleeping firmness, and stood it up against the bookcase. An hour later it looked rather soft; three hours later it was in a pile on the floor. Brand new, and ...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
January 24, 11:49pm

Lawson Equipment Customer Service
I've purchased from Lawson on several different occasions. I've always gotten excellent service, fast shipping (especially considering I live clear across the country!), and good interaction v...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
January 20, 11:47am

ULA Catalyst
I've spent the last two years trying to find a pack that is both light and comfortable, ie, transfers weight to the hip bones well. To date, i had found packs that were only one but not the other ...

In Backpacks - Internal Frame
June 04, 8:11pm

Bushbuddy "Ultra" (BPL/Ryan Jordan/Arctic 1000 Version) Wood Stove
I was able to pick up a Bushbuddy Ti used, and can't imagine why anyone would want to get rid of one! I used it repeatedly this summer and have been absolutely delighted with it! It is probably...

In Stoves - Other
August 18, 11:59am