BPL Community Profile

Stephen Barber (grampa) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale SoCal
About Me Stephen Barber has not added a biography yet.

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Stephen Barber

Showing 171 - 180 of 1295 | Page: 1 ...9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ...130

Forum » Thread

re: Re: Re: Re: Functional strength
"I think opposite of the bear, humans are born to be lazy. For a hunter/gatherer, it’s not a smart idea to burn more calories than you are taking in." Ian, I think you just gave me a...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Why barefoot isn't best for most runners
October 04, 6:05pm

re: Custom Zpacks Poncho-Tarp, some pics
Looks great! It certainly covers all of you but your feet! Actually, it almost looks like with some careful disengaging of cords and pegs, you could pretty much stick your head through the head ...

In GEAR » Custom Zpacks Poncho-Tarp, some pics
October 04, 5:59pm

re: Re: PIF hiker box
Hey folks; When you receive the box, be sure to highlight your name on the spreadsheet so others know you've already gotten it. Thanks!

In Gear Swap » New type of PIF -- the Travelling Hiker Box!
October 04, 10:07am

re: Re: PIF hiker box
@ Marcia and Justin: Here's the link to the spreadsheet, which works much like an Excel spreadsheet. Add your name, etc. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AkvOhpIEPh9VdEJyWkJvZzVI...

October 04, 10:04am

National Forests?
The National Forest websites all have a paragraph about the Forest Service closing down - but they say nothing about people being excluded from the forests themselves.

In Pre-Trip Planning » Do I need a Wilderness permit to get on the JMT during the Government Shutdown?
October 01, 3:44pm

Re: Re: "Why barefoot isn't best for most runners"
"A 2003 study out of Harvard University found men over 50 who run at least three hours a week have a 30% lower risk of impotence than those who do little or no exercise." So the REAL d...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Why barefoot isn't best for most runners
September 30, 10:15am

Texas - East or West?
Do you consider Texas to be part of the eastern USA or the west? Historically, I think it's generally been thought of as part of the west. Louis L'Amour certainly thought so. And when I bri...

September 29, 8:14pm

Sierra cup - other uses
A Sierra cup makes a decent but very small gold pan.

In GEAR » Sierra Cup
September 27, 6:26pm

re: Merino blend vs synthetic for odor?
I don't know anything about this particular item, but I've used the Patagonia merino wrapped around a synthetic core and had no stink issues at all.

In GEAR » Is a Merino Blend any better than a Synthetic for odor?
September 23, 3:08pm

re: What would you have done?
About the only other thing I would have done would be to pull out a map, show him where he was, show him where the turn-off/trail was, and assure him that he couldn't get there from here withou...

In Philosophy & Technique » What would you have done?
September 23, 3:02pm

All Reader Reviews by Stephen Barber

Showing 1 - 6 of 6 | Page: 1

Review

Category

SmarTube Drinking System for Bottles
Since having a hydration bladder spring a leak inside my pack, I have avoided all such bladders. I stuck to simple water bottles until a couple of years ago when I ran across the SmarTube - a drinking...

In Hydration - Water Storage Containers
May 13, 1:33pm

ZPacks Sleeping Bag 40* and 20*
This is the side sleepers dream bag! The bags are filled with 900 fill power goose down, outer shell is green .95 oz/sq yd Pertex Quantum ripstop nylon, and the liner is black .67 oz/sq yd nylon. ...

In Sleeping Bags - Mummy & Other
July 25, 9:25pm

Therm-a-Rest NeoAir XLite Sleeping Pad
Upon receipt of the pad, I inflated it to sleeping firmness, and stood it up against the bookcase. An hour later it looked rather soft; three hours later it was in a pile on the floor. Brand new, and ...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
January 24, 11:49pm

Lawson Equipment Customer Service
I've purchased from Lawson on several different occasions. I've always gotten excellent service, fast shipping (especially considering I live clear across the country!), and good interaction v...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
January 20, 11:47am

ULA Catalyst
I've spent the last two years trying to find a pack that is both light and comfortable, ie, transfers weight to the hip bones well. To date, i had found packs that were only one but not the other ...

In Backpacks - Internal Frame
June 04, 8:11pm

Bushbuddy "Ultra" (BPL/Ryan Jordan/Arctic 1000 Version) Wood Stove
I was able to pick up a Bushbuddy Ti used, and can't imagine why anyone would want to get rid of one! I used it repeatedly this summer and have been absolutely delighted with it! It is probably...

In Stoves - Other
August 18, 11:59am