Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Phil Barton (flyfast) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Oklahoma
About Me Enjoying every outdoor adventure I share with friends and family. Learning more every day.

backpackinglight.com has opened some great doors for me. Hikes have included the Wind River Range, Bob Marshall Wilderness, a wee bit of the Colorado Trail, Philmont, and others in OK, NM, AR, AZ, and CO.

Scouter with BSA Troop 945, Tulsa, OK.
CityTulsa
StateOK
CountryUSA
My PDF Gear ListPhil's spring 2007 gear list

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Phil Barton

Showing 171 - 180 of 298 | Page: 1 ...9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ...30

Forum » Thread

Re: Scoutmasters- I need help
JT, first, thank you for helping a Scout troop. Second, Mike offers some great advice for a crew heading to Philmont in 2007. Mike's questions can help the guys to think through where they c...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Scoutmasters- I need help.
June 10, 6:46pm

Re: cozy material
David, our local Ace hardware store sells Reflectix by the foot. They keep a roll on a display and will cut what I want for to buy. I didn't have to buy a complete roll. It was pretty cheap...

In Make Your Own Gear » cozy material
June 10, 4:39pm

Re: GoLite VO24 Backpack REVIEW
Thanks for the review, Will. Interesting to see that GoLite made a change in the side pockets from this pack's predecessor, the 24. See this catalog picture that shows much taller pockets. Alth...

In Editor's Roundtable » GoLite VO24 Backpack REVIEW
June 07, 5:37am

Re: Alcohol Stove for Philmont?
David, no the basic style hasn't changed for Philmont meals. Meals are planned for the group. Some breakfasts and all the dinners are cooked meals. I'm attaching a list below that I found o...

In GEAR » Alcohol Stove for Philmont?
May 24, 3:10pm

Re: BPL pack liner
Same as Sam. I usually only have my sleeping bag and clothes in a liner sack.

In GEAR » BPL pack liner
May 23, 8:28am

Re: Reducing One's First Aid Kit
Let's see. I just pulled my baggy from the storage box. It is much smaller and lighter than it once was. I am usually with a small group, 2-4 hikers. I carry a different gallon Ziploc sized kit...

In Philosophy & Technique » Reducing One's First Aid Kit
May 23, 8:22am

Alcohol Stove for Philmont?
Gerry, we're headed to Philmont in 2008. David's comment makes sense. Alcohol doesn't sound like the fuel of choice for group cooking. My personal experience with alcohol is that it'...

In GEAR » Alcohol Stove for Philmont?
May 23, 5:57am

Re: Which stove do you use most?
SGT Rock's Ion Stove. Light. Efficient. Compact. Titanium pot stand. Cool.

In GEAR » Which stove do you use most?
May 18, 4:20pm

Re: Ultralightweight tarp desired, tent required
Mike, ditto. I'm looking for the same. We'll also be at Philmont July '08. Last year, our troop had a crew of 10 with 3 adults. 2 of the adults each had their own TT Squall 2. The th...

In GEAR » Ultralightweight tarp desired, tent required
May 17, 7:40am

Re: Using Espresso Pods for pack-it-out backpacking
Kim, after 3 years of trial and error, I've landed on modified cowboy coffee for a good backcountry brew. In BPL magazine, Issue 6, Mike Clelland has a superb article on this subject. He compar...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » Using Espresso Pods for pack-it-out backpacking
May 10, 6:36am

All Reader Reviews by Phil Barton

Showing 1 - 10 of 20 | Page: 1 2

Review

Category

Pro-Tick Remedy Pro-Tick
Maybe you don't have to worry about ticks. In the southern US it's something we have to continually address. The Pro-Tick Remedy is the best removal method I've run across. It is a simple,...

In First Aid and Survival Gear & Accessories
May 24, 4:48pm

TarpTent
It's been almost 2 1/2 years since I bought my TT Squall but the process was memorably good. First, I spoke with Henry by phone to chat about the models and what would be the best fit for my hikin...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
April 26, 9:47am

Golite 2006 Reed Pants
I've had my pair of GoLite Reed pants since at least 2001. They were still sold as Ray-Way gear way back then. These pants are blue (as I remember getting them on sale). This vintage pair of pants...

In Clothing - Raingear
April 20, 5:41pm

RailRiders Adventure Shirt
I've used RailRider shirts for about 5 years now. The RR Adventure Shirt has become a core piece of my warm weather hiking kit. It is well made, cool in hot weather, and very durable. I wear L ...

In Clothing - Baselayer & Fleece - SYNTHETIC
March 31, 5:21am

MSR Mug Mate Coffee Filter MSR coffee filter
Mike Clelland's article, "Techniques and Gear for the Lightweight Backcountry Coffee Connoisseur" (BackpackingLight Magazine, Issue 6) was a home run for me. I sorta, kinda, oh maybe a l...

In Cookware - Other
March 23, 2:05pm

Western Mountaineering Highlite
All the above ratings capture well the features of the Western Mountaineering HighLite. I've owned mine now for a year. What I really like about this bag is its warmth. I am amazed at what it c...

In Sleeping Bags - Mummy & Other
March 23, 1:18pm

ULA Amp
The Amp is my second pack from Brian Frankle. I’ve waited to post a review until my first outing with the pack this past weekend. The ULA Amp meets my expectations for a smaller volume pack to be used...

In Backpacks - Frameless
March 23, 8:21am

Sawyer Premium Insect Repellant --
Sawyer brand permethrin spray is widely available here at Wal-Mart and many sporting goods stores. If you live in an area that isn't tick infested then count your blessings. If you do live or hike...

In Miscellaneous Products
March 16, 5:37am

Bozeman Mountain Works Torsolite Pad
After several months of use for the BMW TorsoLite, I rate it a 4.5 (if that were allowed). It is reasonably light. It is warm enough for my winter camping. My only reservation is that I wish it were t...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
March 06, 2:58pm

National Geographic TOPO! Outdoor Recreation Mapping Software - California
TOPO! software to me is a mixed bag. I've owned 5 different map sets for a few years (US National Parks and 4 different states). What I've really liked -- the ability to print any map the ...

In Navigation Gear & Accessories
January 13, 12:16pm