Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Mina Loomis (elmvine) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Central Texas
About Me I have been backpacking on and off in the western US since college in the early 1970's. Summer 1970 a bunch of us spent a week in the Three Sisters Wilderness in Oregon barefoot with blankets, book bags, and no proper gear at all. Now I coordinate youth backpacking for our Camp Fire council, and enjoy taking the kids to the mountains. I hope to take up more long distance walking after retirement.
CityAustin
StateTexas
CountryUSA
My Website URLhttp://www.camp-fire.org
My PDF Gear ListJMT 2011 Gear List

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Mina Loomis

Showing 171 - 180 of 202 | Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21

Forum » Thread

going out of poncho tarp in the rain
There is a section in Lightweight Backpacking and Camping, in Chapter 16 Hiking Efficiency, beginning on p. 317, about poncho tarp camping in heavy, continuous rain. In the morning getting ready t...

In GEAR » Poncho Tarps and Staying Dry
December 10, 2:59pm

Re: ULA P-2
My Camp Fire backpacking coleader has a P-2 she's been using for 5 years or so. She likes it a lot. It's held up well. She also got one at the same time for her son, who used it until he...

In GEAR » Anyone still carry a ULA P-2 pack?
October 24, 10:45pm

Watched Threads
It just sends you an email when there's a new post to your watched thread.

In Website & Forum Admin/Support » Watched THreads
October 08, 9:44pm

Thanks!
Thanks for the encouragement! Stuart, if you go up there, and you want to check out what we call The Rockpile, here's how to find it. Starting at Jacks Creek Trailhead, you have some swit...

In Post-Trip Reports » Pecos Wilderness youth trip 7/08
September 09, 10:28pm

Camp Fire trip to Pecos Wilderness
I just posted a Trip Report, in that forum, about our Camp Fire youth trip to Pecos Wilderness, NM, in July. Thought I'd put a note here, in case readers of this forum are interested. Camp Fi...

In Backpacking Light with Scouts » Camp Fire trip to Pecos Wilderness
September 09, 4:39pm

Pecos Wilderness youth trip 7/08
Pecos Wilderness, New Mexico July 6-12, 2008 5 adults, 7 youth ages 11-16. This was a youth trip, with Camp Fire USA Balcones Council, based in Austin, Texas. I am the volunteer backpacking co...

In Post-Trip Reports » Pecos Wilderness youth trip 7/08
September 09, 4:32pm

sliding on uneven ground
When the ground is sloping enough for me to slip during the night, I find something to wedge next to me on the lower edge. Like, the toes of my shoes, or a ditty bag with personal items in it, or ...

In GEAR » Sliding pad
August 28, 9:46am

"Last 50 Posts" alternative
I used to do the "Last 50 Posts" thing. No longer. Instead, I go to the Forum Index, and look at the most recent post date for each forum in which I might be interested. If the dat...

In Website & Forum Admin/Support » Admin: "Last 50 Posts" Option
August 22, 8:51pm

Airlines and stoves/cookware
Last June we flew from Austin to Paris with a well-used Bushbuddy Ultra. No one remarked upon it. We didn't take any pots, though--we bought those at a discount store in France, and then gave...

In GEAR » Airlines and stoves/cookware
March 30, 10:37am

Re: Does the MH Phantom have room for puffy jackets?
I bought a womens MHW Phantom 15 degree sleeping bag at the REI Superclearance in February (for about $98 with employee pricing). This was to replace my older REI Downtime 0 degree which weighs ab...

In GEAR » Does the MH Phantom have room for puffy jackets?
March 30, 10:31am

All Reader Reviews by Mina Loomis

Mina Loomis has posted no reviews.