Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

David Bonn (david_bonn) - BPL Forum Member

My Locale North Cascades
About Me Semi-retired computer geek, sometime employee of the National Parking Lot Service, fluent skier and hiker.
CityWinthrop
StateWashington
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by David Bonn

Showing 171 - 180 of 202 | Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21

Forum » Thread

lightweight backpacking websites...
Hi, About the only reason I can think of for such research is that you are considering launching such a website yourself, or are working for someone who is. That's okay with me. In that case...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Lightweight Backpacking Website Research
November 06, 1:53pm

Re: Hydration Bladder Insight
What I meant by the "best compromise"... One thing is that I hate to have just one water container, and like to be able to carry at least three liters and sometimes four of water. I don't norma...

In GEAR » Hydration Bladder Insight
October 23, 10:19pm

Re: SOLO
About those globalstar phones... I used one this last summer, and they are useful gadgets, but aren't a universal solution (what is?). Anyway, they work fine and the latency (if you've used a...

In Philosophy & Technique » Hiking Alone
October 22, 1:47pm

Re: Hydration Bladder Insight
I like hydration bladders, particularly the platypus models. Usually I carry a 3L big zip or a 2L big zip and a one-liter aquafina bottle, on a long trip I replace the aquafina bottle every now ...

In GEAR » Hydration Bladder Insight
October 21, 7:53pm

Re: fleece pants
Kind of depends on your metabolism. For me I'd probably go with midweight polypro long underwear or tights under wind pants. Fleece pants are generally (for me) either winter camp wear or what I ...

In GEAR » fleece pants
October 17, 2:57pm

Re: Bear Predation
What it might take is closing a goodsized area (probably not a whole park or wilderness area) for a season. Sure some bears will travel elsewhere and make trouble there. Some will start living on...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Electric Bear Fence
October 16, 7:19pm

why I'm not worried about bears...
I think humans are generally extremely bad at sorting out risks. Especially when the risk of a spectacular, messy death is involved. A hiker is far more likely to die from bee stings than from ...

October 13, 12:29pm

why I'm not worried about bears...
I think humans are generally extremely bad at sorting out risks. Especially when the risk of a spectacular, messy death is involved. A hiker is far more likely to die from bee stings than from ...

October 13, 12:24pm

relocation rarely works (Re: Smart Bear)
Usually they have to kill bears once they get a taste for human's food. Relocated bears have covered several hundred miles to return to their original ranges. In the best case, this might just ...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Bear Boxes in The Sierra's
September 21, 6:18pm

when vicious heinousness becomes heinously vicious
For me, those temperatures between about 30 and 40 degrees fahrenheit are always the zone of maximum suffering. While on the move, thin polypro (or wool) that dries out fast, possibly with wind ...

In GEAR » best layering system for prolonged cold/wet weather
September 19, 9:57pm

All Reader Reviews by David Bonn

Showing 1 - 8 of 8 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Western Mountaineering Summer Coupler
I think the big killer for me and my so was that it was made of cotton. It needs to be made of some very light synthetic instead. Once again, a great idea with poor execution.

In Sleeping Bags - Mummy & Other
August 26, 9:09am

Patagonia R1 Balaclava
One other thing that I think is good is that the stretchy fabric is relatively thin -- this means that if you are exercising you can still wear the hat in quite cold weather, and if it is wicked cold ...

In Clothing - Headwear, Handwear
August 25, 1:56pm

Superfeet Performance Green
Thirty bucks is a lot of money for an insole. But it is way cheaper than knee surgery. I've been using them religiously for four years in everything but rock climbing shoes and backcountry ski boots...

In Footwear - Boots, Shoes, Gaiters
August 09, 11:02am

Patagonia Micro Puff Pullover
Lightweight, simple, doubles as a pillow. This pullover is a wonderful evolution of the original puffball pullover.

In Clothing - Insulating - Synthetic (Polarguard, Primaloft, etc.)
August 09, 10:55am

GoLite Phantom Jacket
Awesome light jacket. Enormous pit zips help ventilation a lot. High pockets let you stash gloves and trail mix where you can get them without taking your pack off. A little heavier than some more ...

In Clothing - Raingear
August 09, 10:53am

Patagonia Dragonfly pullover
I don't go anywhere without this pullover. For everything from groomed cross-country ski tours to weeklong climbing trips to long-distance backpacks. This is probably the most useful item of clothin...

In Clothing - Wind & Soft Shell
August 09, 10:51am

Patagonia Specter Jacket
Wonderfully light. Waterproof. Reasonably breathable. More expensive than my first car (and more waterproof too). The big pockets help venting a bit, but it doesn't (in my opinion) vent particul...

In Clothing - Raingear
August 09, 10:49am

ULA Equipment P-1
I've used my P-1 since March, with several trips up to two weeks (with resupply) and trips as long as seven days without a resupply. I like the side pockets a lot. I'd like them better (and give t...

In Backpacks - Internal Frame
August 09, 10:43am