BPL Community Profile

Ben H. (bzhayes) - BPL Forum Member

My Locale So. California
About Me Ben H. has not added a biography yet.

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Ben H.

Showing 171 - 180 of 280 | Page: 1 ...9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28

Forum » Thread

Re: The Safe-Water-Challenge - which filtering design can you reliably maintain around the globe?
I am trying to understand your design challenge. I have a couple questions: 1) What are you trying to filter/purify? Bacteria? Viruses? Chemical contamination? 2) Are you saying every com...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » The Safe-Water-Challenge - which filtering design can you reliably maintain around the globe?
August 20, 4:16pm

Re: Re Do you carry redundant backups of critical gear?
"...what you do that makes it that you don't require a knife?..." nothing "...so I don't have my moleskin pre-cut, or my cordage pre-cut, or my duct tape pre-cut...&quo...

In GEAR » Do you carry redundant backups of critical gear?
August 14, 3:36pm

Re: Re: Re: ursack jack-o-lantern
I agree JM, going forward, the Ursack should only be considered if used with the liner. The problem is, with the liner the case for Ursack is pretty weak. It is only 5 oz. lighter than the Bearbo...

In GEAR » ursack vs bear canister
August 14, 10:42am

Re: Do you carry redundant backups of critical gear?
C. Wisner mentioned that he could easily go without fire-starters or knives and considers sleeping bags/tents as critical gear. I agree, I never use fire-starters during my trip but I take extra...

In GEAR » Do you carry redundant backups of critical gear?
August 14, 10:31am

Re: ursack jack-o-lantern
"...bear spit in my peanut butter and hot chocolate mix pouring out of the tooth holes...." This is the most disconcerting part of your post. Everyone knows bears will mangle your foo...

In GEAR » ursack vs bear canister
August 14, 9:34am

Re: Yet another sawyer squeeze filter question--how to connect filter output to platypus bottle?
"... I'm looking for a washer to take up the space between the two pieces. However, the size washer required appears to be non-standard (i.e., not available at Home Depot)..." McMa...

In GEAR » Yet another sawyer squeeze filter question--how to connect filter output to platypus bottle?
August 10, 3:30pm

doesn't look like Gaviota any long :(
I've done this at Gaviota, but it looks like they now take reservations for for 37 of the 39 sites :( http://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=606

In Pre-Trip Planning » Help with last minute Bday Beach Camping location
August 08, 4:53pm

I usually have the opposite problem.
I and others I have talked to tend to get somewhat constipated when backpacking. If your diet is drastically different than what you eat at home stomach/bowel issue would be expected. It is pro...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » Stomach upset and appetite issues while backpacking.
August 07, 10:40am

Re: RE: Bacon
95°F sounds like a pretty optimal temperature to grow bugs harmful to humans. Maybe they should try 98.7°F for 19.5 hours next time, just to really get the bacteria count up.

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » Bacon
August 06, 12:09pm

Re: Pole design
I am not a materials expert, so don't put too much weight in my advice. My understanding is that 7xxx series aluminum tends to be much stronger than 6xxx series aluminum. Comparing two typica...

In GEAR » Can i make my diy poles by theese alloys?
August 01, 11:44am

All Reader Reviews by Ben H.

Ben H. has posted no reviews.