Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Ben Crowell (bcrowell) - BPL Forum Member

My Locale Southern California
About Me Ben Crowell has not added a biography yet.
CityFullerton
StateCA
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Ben Crowell

Showing 171 - 180 of 329 | Page: 1 ...9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ...33

Forum » Thread

practical issues
@Greg: I think your answer is correct in principle, but not necessarily practical. I've heard stories of rangers in YV requiring people to show them their bear canisters before they'll hand...

In GEAR » JMT with Ursack
July 08, 12:19pm

mosquitoes
Mosquito info: http://www.highsierratopix.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5088

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Sierra Nevada backpacking next weekend
July 07, 7:41pm

diluting DEET
I guess this is somewhat of a necro-thread, but thought I'd add some info I gleaned. At a concentration of 5%, it only lasts about 1.5 hours. http://www.deetonline.org/faq.php#q9 At 100%, it...

In Philosophy & Technique » Diluting Deet?
July 07, 4:41pm

dropping from trees; hot spots for Lyme in California
I happen to work with a guy who's an arachnologist, so I emailed him to ask about whether ticks can drop from trees, and about whether Lyme disease is a significant risk here in California. ...

In Editor's Roundtable » Lyme Disease: Challenging Old Stereotypes
July 07, 4:20pm

pinhole
Great pix! You get really impressive depth of field with your pinhole setup. I can see why the Holga has a cult following if you can get results like that.

In Post-Trip Reports » Grand Canyon of the Tuolumne
July 07, 12:05pm

Re: Doxycycline prophylaxis
"So if I find a black-legged tick feeding on me (yes we have them here on Vancouver Island) then why wouldn't I just self-medicate with Doxycycline?? Seems like the prudent thing to do. Th...

In Editor's Roundtable » Lyme Disease: Challenging Old Stereotypes
July 07, 11:57am

Re: weather/temp
"What are typical nighttime and mid day temperatures on this part of the JMT?" I was in that area in the summer of 2007. Daytime was very comfortable shirtsleeve temps, not too hot or to...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » JMT weather
July 07, 9:18am

Re: Re: Re: Re: disposable lighters with visible butane level?
"But $90 instead of 99c ..." OK, rub it in some more. I can take it! (sob) I actually got it for $50, and am now in the process of reselling it on ebay. Chalk one up to experience.

In Philosophy & Technique » disposable lighters with visible butane level?
July 07, 8:13am

tree
"For summer use in the southeast I will use a bug bivy, but one question is how do you handle rain that might blow in from the ends of the tarp. I understand how to stake the sides close to th...

In GEAR » New Tarp User. Need advice
July 07, 8:09am

Re: Re: Re: disposable lighters with visible butane level?
Roger wrote: "...the effluent wanna-bes" BG wrote: "That's a pretty harsh thing to call Benjamin. Maybe affluent, but never effluent." No, I don't even rise t...

In Philosophy & Technique » disposable lighters with visible butane level?
July 06, 7:39pm

All Reader Reviews by Ben Crowell

Ben Crowell has posted no reviews.