BPL Community Profile

Ben Crocker (alexdrewreed) - BPL Premium Member

My Locale Kentucky
About Me Ben Crocker has not added a biography yet.

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Ben Crocker

Showing 171 - 180 of 992 | Page: 1 ...9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ...100

Forum » Thread

Zpacks Waterproof Breathable Event Jacket
I know it costs $250, but this jacket looks very good otherwise. Five ounces and reportedly 40,000 g/m2/24hrs breathability. Its apparently cuben sandwiched between 2 event layers, so I'm ass...

In GEAR » Zpacks Waterproof Breathable Event Jacket
November 08, 3:11pm

Baking bag criticisms
These bags deserve a little love. I think they are more durable than the trash bags or compactor bags people typically use as liners. Its hard to see how these have a bigger environmental impac...

In GEAR » The Case Against Nylon Oven Bags for Pack Organization
November 07, 4:00pm

The Case Against Nylon Oven Bags for Pack Organization
I've used them quite a bit, not for pack organization so much as to keep my sleeping bag and clothing dry. I sometimes take 2 so I can wrap my sleeping bag in the bottom of my pack and keep a ...

In GEAR » The Case Against Nylon Oven Bags for Pack Organization
November 07, 3:26pm

Down and wet weather
I will say I think its easier to keep down dry in the western US(most of it anyway) than in the east. I don't know where you live. But if you live in the relatively dry west, the wet weather ...

In Editor's Roundtable » MontBell Plasma 1000 Down Jacket Review
November 07, 1:46pm

Down and wet weather
Bobb, with a little experience, I think you can keep your down dry. You do need to make sure you are doing what you need to to keep it dry, but it is a very good option. I backpack mostly in the ...

In Editor's Roundtable » MontBell Plasma 1000 Down Jacket Review
November 07, 1:25pm

MEC
Not sure, Brett. I did the group buy a bit back.

In GEAR » lesser midlayer?
November 07, 12:43pm

lesser midlayer?
If you can get your hands on a MEC T2, I think it fits the requirements very well. I understand its the cap 4 fabric in a slightly lighter version. Mine seems to perform well. I paid $25 for a h...

In GEAR » lesser midlayer?
November 07, 10:43am

AT Shelters- how frequently will I want to use them?
Mousetraps DO work well. I hiked with a guy for awhile who set a mousetrap every night and cleaned it every morning. Had a mouse every morning. That's pretty predictable grub. But he never ...

In Pre-Trip Planning » AT Shelters- how frequently will I want to use them?
November 05, 1:41pm

Foot of Bivy sticking out of tarp? Go with a big tarp.
I would go with a bigger tarp. I am in the southeast, like you. I would not consider an event bivy around here. Its likely to be sweaty. I think ventilation is key in the southeast. I mostly u...

In Philosophy & Technique » Foot of Bivy sticking out of tarp?
November 04, 2:04pm

AT Shelters- how frequently will I want to use them?
I did several sections of the AT last year with my thru-hiking son. I bet you wind up sleeping in shelters most of the time. Its just a lot easier after long hiking days. The openness and large ...

In Pre-Trip Planning » AT Shelters- how frequently will I want to use them?
November 03, 7:40pm

All Reader Reviews by Ben Crocker

Ben Crocker has posted no reviews.