BPL Community Profile

Ryan Smith (ViolentGreen) - BPL Forum Member

My Locale Southeast
About Me Ryan Smith has not added a biography yet.

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Ryan Smith

Showing 171 - 180 of 1101 | Page: 1 ...9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ...111

Forum » Thread

Re: Smoky Mountain Thru Hike
As already mentioned, a ride to Gatlinburg or Cherokee is your only resupply option. No food at Clingman's and no potable water at the Newfound Gap bathrooms. Ryan

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Smoky Mountain Thru Hike
June 02, 6:51pm

Re: 10 Days on the AT between Hot Springs and NOC
In some years you will have some snow by then, with there being a very good chance in the Smokies. Watch the weather forecast as you get closer and check the Mt Leconte blog too. They give daily up...

In Pre-Trip Planning » 10 Days on the AT between Hot Springs and NOC
June 02, 11:22am

Re: Line and Knot Load Testing
Nice. Used to use the Palomar knot back in my bass fishing days. It was the strongest knot we could find at the time. Ryan

In Make Your Own Gear » Line and Knot Load Testing
June 02, 11:05am

Re: what is the go to thermal leggings of choice?
I use Terramar silk long johns which are probably the lightest option out there at 2-3oz. Obviously they won't be as warm as merino wool, but they're great for sleeping and doing some light...

In GEAR » what is the go to thermal leggings of choice?
June 01, 6:09pm

Re: Can I dye a white hybrid cuben pack?
I researched this at length several months ago. Polyester is very difficult to die compared to nylon, and even using aftermarket disperse dyes had mixed results. "Mixed" meaning didn'...

In GEAR » Can I dye a white hybrid cuben pack?
June 01, 12:19pm

Re: Flat tarp size
For a square tarp, 9'x9' would be the minimum for me with 10'x10' being about right. I use a 9'x7' currently and I wish it was longer when the weather gets wild. Ryan

In GEAR » Flat tarp size
June 01, 12:12pm

Re: Yes
Agree on Montbell. Quality product that should fit him. Not crazy expensive either. Ryan

In GEAR » Looking for a down jacket for my 6'4" 240# son
June 01, 11:20am

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: JMT Record Attempts - 2014
Slight derail - After reading this thread, I did some research and somehow found story of Michael Popov's death. Very tragic. Amazing how quickly the Death Valley heat killed him. Something lik...

In Philosophy & Technique » JMT Record Attempts - 2014
May 28, 10:59am

Re: Removing smelly spill from electronics
Acetone can be used to clean electronics. It will not harm circuit boards and the like if it happens to seep in. I've used it to clean LED drivers, etc. Isopropyl alcohol should also work fine....

In GEAR » Removing smelly spill from electronics
May 27, 2:21pm

Re: very sad...
Yeah, I see crap like this over on the AT all the time. As the PCT becomes more popular it's only going to get worse unfortunately. Trail angels at every access point. Trash everywhere. People ...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » very sad...
May 27, 6:23am

All Reader Reviews by Ryan Smith

Showing 1 - 1 of 1 | Page: 1

Review

Category

ULA Ohm
I've had an Ohm for about a year now and have taken it on a few trips. It's very comfortable provided that you keep it in the weight range it's designed for. When carrying 20-25 lbs it car...

In Backpacks - Frameless
September 10, 5:36pm