BPL Community Profile

Tony Wong (Valshar) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale San Francisco Bay Area
About Me Tony Wong has not added a biography yet.
CityEast Bay
StateCA
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Tony Wong

Showing 171 - 180 of 1423 | Page: 1 ...9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ...143

Forum » Thread

Re: Bivy
+1 on what Josh said. I have been using a tarp and bivy setup for a number of years now and my MLD bivy is waterproof/eVent. However, if I were in bad/rainy weather, I would want a tarp or so...

In GEAR » Bivvy advice
April 15, 4:45pm

Re: ESBIT: Simmering and Ultralight Baking
Jim, Do you know if the simmering ring can give you more boils per esbit cube than a gram cracker? I am interested in getting more efficiency out of my stove so I carry less fuel per trip to ...

In GEAR » ESBIT: Simmering and Ultralight Baking
April 15, 1:06pm

Re: If you could have only ONE solo shelter?
MLD Solo Mid with MLD Bivy. One of the lightest Mids out there. Full protection from all four sides again rain, moderate snow loads, and strong winds. Can use both hiking poles in an inver...

In GEAR » If you could have only ONE solo shelter?
April 12, 11:33am

Re: Six months later...
Danny, Your son is a lucky guy to have you both as parents. He is going to have a life time of stories and adventures to talk about that few of his peers will be able to relate to. He is g...

In Photo Gallery » Gathering of Gear Geeks 2012: Pointe Reyes National Seashore
April 11, 11:29am

Re: Sawyer Squeeze vs Aquamira Drops. The argument.
@Nelson Your points are all valid, however, I would that in terms of Cost the Sawyer filter can be cheaper in the long run. Given that there are no parts to replace or wear out, once someone ...

In GEAR » Sawyer Squeeze vs Aquamira Drops. The argument.
April 09, 1:29pm

Re: Post hike rituals- gear maintenance
When I get home, I like to have all of my gear cleaned and repacked within 48 hours of returning. After kissing the wife and child, off to the shower for a nice, hot scrubbing. (Only then wil...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Post hike rituals- gear maintenance
April 03, 11:34am

Re: Enlightened Equipment vs Jacks R Better - advice please
Cody, I have the Sierra Sniviler JRB and think that it is a great value quilt. My 1st quilt, but it is not without its flaws. It does work nicely in camp for an insulating layer, which I a...

In GEAR » Enlightened Equipment vs Jacks R Better - advice please
April 02, 3:22pm

Re: ESBITmizer
Eric, Let me know how it works out for you. Great idea about using an Altoids box, but are you going to modify the lid to slide? -Tony

In GEAR » Confessions of a new Esbit fanboy
March 31, 10:39am

Heat Exchanger in a Pot
Gregory, Wild idea came to mind, but I wonder if a CPU heat sink could be use inside of a pot? It would require finding a way to separate the base of the CPU heat sink from the rest of the ra...

In GEAR » Fire Maple Jetboil Clone
March 28, 3:47pm

Re: heat exchanger inside the pot?
Gregory, The big issue I could see with a heat exchanger inside the pot (and therefore having food in contact with the heat exchanger) is that food particles could clog up the slices in the tube...

In GEAR » Fire Maple Jetboil Clone
March 28, 2:09pm

All Reader Reviews by Tony Wong

Showing 1 - 5 of 5 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Platypus Hoser 1.8 Liter Reservoir
For those of us who enjoy the convenience of of having a sip of water on demand, this is an easy way to save some weight with few negatives. The only negatives for me is the bite valve that comes w...

In Hydration - Water Storage Containers
June 29, 6:09pm

Marmot Helium (long)
I have the 2007 Model of the Marmot Helium EQ, which differs from the regular Helium in two ways. It has a full length zipper and the shell is waterproof. Weight is listed as 2 lbs 2 oz vs. 1 lb...

In Sleeping Bags - Mummy & Other
June 29, 5:29pm

Sunday Afternoon Adventure hat
How can I count the ways that I love this hat? I have been using this hat for 7 years from completely re-landscaping my yard for 2.5 yrs as well as for backpacking trips. I love that it provides...

In Clothing - Headwear, Handwear
June 29, 5:12pm

Mountain Laurel Designs Soul Bivy Side Zip (eVent Top)
Mountain Laurel Designs Soul Bivy Side Zip with eVent top, Silnylon 2.0 bottom, built in hoop wire, regular size, but in the wide option, which allows for a sleeping pad thicker than 1". Weig...

In Shelters - Bivy Sacks
June 01, 10:39pm

Sawyer In-Line Filter
Pros: Light Weight, Field Cleanable by backwashing, No Chemicals, No Pumping Cons: Setup time longer than traditional filter. Speed of filtration can vary based on conditions. Like traditional filt...

In Hydration - Water Treatment
February 07, 11:20pm