Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

John Vance (Servingko) - BPL Forum Member

My Locale Intermountain West
About Me Thru hiked the PCT in 1983 and half of the CDT in 84. Backpacking since 1973 when I did my first 50 miler as a scout. Total gear nut and have dropped from a base weight of 35lbs to 10 - 12lbs and love spending time in the mountains even more. I typically get out for 2 week long trips and several weekend trips each year.
CitySalt Lake City
StateUtah
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by John Vance

Showing 171 - 180 of 503 | Page: 1 ...9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ...51

Forum » Thread

Overfill
I have a Katabatic Chisos reg and wide with both overfilled 2 oz, or about 30% total. I much prefer the wider quilt at or below freezing as a side sleeper that tosses and turns throughout the nigh...

In GEAR » Quilts - Width and Overfill
February 28, 1:53pm

Re-entry
When I returned I had very little to come home to but had a supportive family. The plan was to hike the PCT, CDT, and then the AT back to back in three summers while going to college. Beginning s...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Post Thru-Hike - What Was Your Re-entry Experience Like?
February 26, 5:20pm

Protein to go
I have been consuming 120+ grams of protein per day for more than 30 years. This has been in various forms but for the past 15 years or so it has been bars and powder. I have a powdered shake fo...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » High Protein Trail Foods
February 24, 8:32am

Scale
I take my scale to the bike shop and outdoor shops. They pretend to be interested, but I am sure they think I am nuts. They take my money all the same.

In GEAR » I got a scale! Officially a weight weenie. Have questions...
February 16, 9:00am

Sorry to hear this
Bummer for all involved....

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Kooka Bay
February 15, 4:23pm

Never bring
It stays on the car for two reasons; it doesn't fit my backcountry philosophy and no service for the most part.

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » cell phone-- bringin' it?
February 14, 9:24am

Footwear
My worst has been forgetting my shoes and getting out at the trailhead wearing flipflops. Two hours later, after heading into the nearest town, were on our way. We have a saying: If you forgot ...

In Gear Lists » Oh Man! I forgot my _______ again!
February 13, 4:16pm

Dropping food weight
I have found my food weight has been dropping over the years. For trips of less than 10 days I am at 17.5 oz and I add a bit more if going longer, but I don't add the food to the initial 10 da...

In GEAR » weight of food?
February 11, 10:03am

Re: Re: Leftist Rightwinger
Perhaps that is why I did well in debate-I wasn't emotionally invested in either side. I like to think I am just open minded.;-)

In Chaff » Where do you lie on the political/moral compass?
February 10, 8:14pm

Leftist Rightwinger
Your political compass Economic Left/Right: 0.00 Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -0.15 Almost got a bulls-eye.....do I win a prize? As a side note - if this is my political compass,...

In Chaff » Where do you lie on the political/moral compass?
February 10, 7:25pm

All Reader Reviews by John Vance

Showing 1 - 4 of 4 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Katabatic Chisos
This is from previous posts but I thought I would include it here as well. I received my Chisos with 2oz overfill and just wanted to update those waiting to hear a little more about my initial imp...

In Sleeping Bags - Quilts & Top Bags
June 06, 11:48am

Katabatic Gear Sawatch
I know I only have spent 4 nights using my Katabatic Sawatch, I wanted to get a review out for those interested that I have posted elsewhere on this site but not in the review area. I can say thi...

In Sleeping Bags - Quilts & Top Bags
June 10, 10:18am

Six Moon Designs Swift10
Now that I have some miles on my 2010 Swift I thought I would prepare a more thorough review. I have been using a 2006 SMD Starlight for the past few years and really love it coming from a brief stin...

In Backpacks - Frameless
June 10, 10:09am

Kookabay Custom Down Air Mattress (DAM)
I recently my pad from Bender yesterday and have to say I am impressed. The seams and sealing is very consistent, straight, and even. My custom pad used the standard 70d fabric and is 24" wide, 6...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
April 22, 11:08am