BPL Community Profile

John Vance (Servingko) - BPL Forum Member

My Locale Intermountain West
About Me Thru hiked the PCT in 1983 and half of the CDT in 84. Backpacking since 1973 when I did my first 50 miler as a scout. Total gear nut and have dropped from a base weight of 35lbs to 10 - 12lbs and love spending time in the mountains even more. I typically get out for 2 week long trips and several weekend trips each year.
CitySalt Lake City
StateUtah
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by John Vance

Showing 171 - 180 of 467 | Page: 1 ...9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ...47

Forum » Thread

2011 Picks
In no particular order; Katabatic Chisos with 2oz overfill - A bit over 16oz and warm to below freezing. Beautifully hand crafted in the USA. In 2010 it was my Katabatic Sawatch and I just rec...

In GEAR » 2011 Backpacking Light Reader Picks
December 28, 8:17pm

WM sizing
Having owned all three bags, I would go with the Versalite as it is a bit roomier allowing for layering better and more comfort on long winter nights. Length wise I would stick with the 6' ...

In GEAR » WM Sizing
December 27, 11:59am

Boiler
Glad to see some are showing up. I am still waiting but won't be looking to use it until next summer.

In GEAR » Backcountry Boiler
December 22, 6:38pm

Winter weight and temps
I think it migt be good to list weights and typical temps. My non winter temps sound like winter temps for some. For non winter I prepare for lows in the 20's with my 8-10lb base and wint...

In Winter Hiking » What is your winter weight?
December 13, 9:27pm

Winter Weight
My first response is that my winter/holiday weight is about ten lbs more than in the summer. After reading the post I see you are asking about my pack weight. Base weight for the other three seas...

In Winter Hiking » What is your winter weight?
December 13, 9:37am

Day Job
I am a business and marketing analyst in the soft drink industry.

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » What do you do for a living?
December 12, 1:45pm

Pm'd
I sent a pm.

In GEAR » Pushing a Katabatic Chisos quilt beneath freezing with WM Flash jacket and pants?
December 11, 6:21pm

Chisos
He has a regular length with 2oz overfill. I don't have a problem with drafts for the most part. When I curl up on my side my back side gets a little cool but either straightening out my legs...

In GEAR » Pushing a Katabatic Chisos quilt beneath freezing with WM Flash jacket and pants?
December 11, 2:08pm

Overstuffed Chisos
It is a bit shorter due to the chambers wanting to expand a bit more. If you are 5'10" to 6' you may want to go to the large overfilled bag. When I am on my back I tend to cross my...

December 11, 9:47am

Sierra Designs Gnar
I have a Gnar in size large that is 13oz. Nice piece and often on sale.

In Mountaineering & Alpinism » Down Hoody Recommendations
December 09, 9:28am

All Reader Reviews by John Vance

Showing 1 - 4 of 4 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Katabatic Chisos
This is from previous posts but I thought I would include it here as well. I received my Chisos with 2oz overfill and just wanted to update those waiting to hear a little more about my initial imp...

In Sleeping Bags - Quilts & Top Bags
June 06, 11:48am

Katabatic Gear Sawatch
I know I only have spent 4 nights using my Katabatic Sawatch, I wanted to get a review out for those interested that I have posted elsewhere on this site but not in the review area. I can say thi...

In Sleeping Bags - Quilts & Top Bags
June 10, 10:18am

Six Moon Designs Swift10
Now that I have some miles on my 2010 Swift I thought I would prepare a more thorough review. I have been using a 2006 SMD Starlight for the past few years and really love it coming from a brief stin...

In Backpacks - Frameless
June 10, 10:09am

Kookabay Custom Down Air Mattress (DAM)
I recently my pad from Bender yesterday and have to say I am impressed. The seams and sealing is very consistent, straight, and even. My custom pad used the standard 70d fabric and is 24" wide, 6...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
April 22, 11:08am