BPL Community Profile

Charles G. (Rincon) - BPL Premium Member

My Locale Desert Southwest
About Me Mountaineer and backpacker since 1946 mainly in the western US but with excursions to Antarctica, Alaska, western Canada, North Africa and Japan. Hiked the John Muir Trail solo and unsupported in 1954; this was the start of my lightweight endeavors which have proceeded erratically ever since.
StateSE Arizona
My PDF Gear ListThree season gear for western mountains.

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Charles G.

Showing 171 - 180 of 281 | Page: 1 ...9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29

Forum » Thread

JMT 2009
I would add a light weight insulated vest or jacket for those cold mornings. I used pretty much what you list for clothes except that I had added a Montbell under vest (5 oz). I used it about hal...

In Gear Lists » JMT 2009
July 27, 5:16pm

Re "dumb"
Josh, I suspect that you don't have a dog or you don't live in rattlesnake country or both. A leashed dog that is curious about a rattlesnake is probably going to get bitten. Conditioning...

In Philosophy & Technique » Rattlesnake avoidance classes for dogs
July 26, 9:06am

The trail to Desolation Lake
There is a trail that cuts away from the Piute Creek Trail that goes directly to Desolation Lake. I don't recall whether it is marked (it has been at times) but it is the only trail leaving th...

In GEAR » Kings Canyon canister requirements
July 18, 4:42pm

Droppers
"Are they hard to dispense?" In a nutshell, Yes! But, you can open up the nozzle using a heated needle.

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Droppers on Long Hikes?
July 18, 2:21pm

Droppers on Long Hikes?
If you are only taking one dropper bottle of each, yeah, you will likely run out. Probably the one that will go first will be the hand sanitizer. I used a one ounce HDPE Nalgene bottle for mine a...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Droppers on Long Hikes?
July 18, 12:06pm

shin splints
I hiked the JMT last year and had to deal with a shin splint on my left leg from Donahue Pass on. It really hurt at first but gradually got better. By the time I reached Mono Creek I had pretty m...

In Philosophy & Technique » Long distance hiking with shin splints
July 18, 7:54am

Kings Canyon canister requirements
Are you actually going to the Humphrey Basis (eg Desolation Lake area) or are you just planning on hiking over Piute Pass and then staying on the trail down Piute Creek. The Humphrey Basin is a si...

July 18, 7:41am

Kings Canyon canister requirements
From Humphreys Basin, you will hike down Piute Creek to the John Muir Trail. Where the JMT crosses Piute Creek, you enter the Park and I am sure that bear canisters are required for anyone on the ...

July 17, 4:56pm

The desert can get cold.
"Whoa there, deserts can get downright cold at night. I used to live in Arizona and when I would leave for work at 5AM I needed a hot drink to stay warm. No humidity=no heat retention." ...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Jesus...the original SUL backpacker
July 16, 7:28pm

1300 Cals a Day
1300 calories per day is a pretty restricted calorie intake even for someone who is sedentary. For someone trying to cover distance, frankly, I think it is ill advised. I would guess that you are...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » 1300 Cals a Day
July 16, 1:57pm

All Reader Reviews by Charles G.

Showing 1 - 1 of 1 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Big Agnes Fly Creek UL1
Rating: rated 4 of 5 stars Design: Semi-free-standing Sleeps: 1 Ease of Setup: Moderately easy Weight: 2 lb, 3 oz Price Paid: $240 I bought the Big Agnes Fly Creek to replace a Tarptent Contra...

In Shelters - Double Wall Tents
February 12, 7:32pm