BPL Community Profile

Douglas Frick (Otter) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Wyoming
About Me Douglas Frick has not added a biography yet.
StateWY

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Douglas Frick

Showing 171 - 180 of 768 | Page: 1 ...9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ...77

Forum » Thread

Re: question to hammockers
>I have just recently completed a Speer Hammock kit and it rides great. For now, I am planning on just 3 season use. I did a bit of testing before I took my hammock out in the winter. The ...

In GEAR » question to hammockers
March 16, 9:51am

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: luxurylite
>Is the 8.3 ounce the "Hook Belt" Yes. >I am just wondering on the comfort of it and how well it carries the pack. It's a wide beefy belt, with two adjustable, re...

In GEAR » luxurylite
March 16, 12:50am

Re: Re: Re: luxurylite
>I will be on the AT this summer and am open to suggestions for a pack. The LuxuryLite is definitely a pack to consider. You can save money by buying the sturdy Condor cylinder set (3.2 oz...

In GEAR » luxurylite
March 16, 12:00am

Re: Wild Oasis by Six Moon Design
> I would like to pitch it close to the ground to minimize the draft. I have the Gatewood Cape, which has similar dimensions. I've slept in it a few nights around freezing, and I pitche...

In GEAR » Wild Oasis by Six Moon Design
March 14, 11:25pm

Re: Steripen
> How can you treat the threads with the AquaStar? I pour sterilized water over the threads the same way and hope that washes the nasties off. If I'm going to drink from the container, ...

In Editor's Roundtable » SteriPEN Adventurer Water Purifier REVIEW
March 13, 11:06pm

Re: Rain and Footwear
> how do you deal with the sopping trailrunners that're inevitable going to be wet when you wake up in the morning and prepare to move on? When I crawl in, I wring out my socks and put...

In Philosophy & Technique » Rain and Footwear
March 13, 10:57pm

Re: Insulated jacket comparisons
YMMV, but it works for me below +30F over just a base layer (I can dry my base layer through it fairly quickly), and down to +15F over base+mid. I've worn it at 0F over base+mid but I was movin...

In GEAR » Insulated jacket comparisons
March 13, 10:38am

Re: Strut-another perspective

In GEAR » Shires Contrail vs. Squall 2 packed size comparison?
March 12, 9:30pm

Re: Re: Selecting a Canister Stove for Cold Weather Backpacking<br>Part I: Stove and Fuel Fundamentals
>Why wouldn't we just use propane which has a low boiling point and would vaporize on it's own down to an extreme minus 40 degrees, why introduce Butane into the mix? To quote Rick ...

In GEAR » Selecting a Canister Stove for Cold Weather Backpacking
Part I: Stove and Fuel Fundamentals

March 12, 10:26am

Re: Windshirts -- Breathability vs. Wind Blocking
>For those who also have had different windshirts, please share your experience as well. If there is a trade off, how do you draw the line? My windshirt is a Montane Aero smock (no hood; XX...

In GEAR » Windshirts -- Breathability vs. Wind Blocking
March 10, 1:37pm

All Reader Reviews by Douglas Frick

Showing 1 - 9 of 9 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Petzl Zipka
I have the original 3-LED Zipka (1.9 oz with Lithium batteries). It is my regular headlamp (when there's little likelihood of hiking at night) and I always carry it with me on day hikes. It isn...

In Lights - Flashlights & Headlamps
February 07, 1:54pm

Lara Bars Cherry Pie
I grabbed a bunch of random non-Cliff bars at REI before a recent trip. A few of them were wretched, some just indifferent, and a few I thought would be worthwhile to remember for next time. And then ...

In Foods - Energy Bars, Gels, and Drinks
December 13, 1:03pm

Jetboil Personal Cooking System
The good points are: fast, fuel-efficient, easy, simple, and reliable boiling water. You can hold it in your hand while you boil water, if finding a place to set up a hot stove is a problem in your en...

In Stoves - Canister
January 06, 10:55am

BackpackingLight.com Premium Membership
I read all of the free articles, and after looking at the abstracts of the Premium articles, I immediately bought a membership. That was well worth it right there. I've also more than saved the price ...

In Books and Media
December 26, 10:01pm

Hiking Light Handbook by Karen Berger
This is a great intro to lightweight backpacking. She covers all of the major gear areas in an uncomplicated fashion, giving overviews of what, why and how to lighten up. The book includes strategies,...

In Books and Media
December 26, 9:56pm

Sunday Afternoon Adventure hat
I refer to it as my "ugly hat," but it's the one I always grab when it's sunny. I wear this hat in Hawaii, where hiking is hot and steamy. I just tighten the headband a bit (easily and securely adjust...

In Clothing - Headwear, Handwear
December 23, 9:16pm

Brunton Helios "Stormproof" lighter
I don't have a Brunton Helios lighter, but unfortunately there isn't a way to comment without giving a rating. I do, however, have six butane 'windproof' lighters/torches: a Brunton Firelight, a Solo ...

In Miscellaneous Products
December 23, 8:27pm

Beyond Backpacking by Ray Jardine
This is a thick book with a lot of useful information. I found it inspiring, with a fairly well-balanced idea of hiking and camping with light gear. I've bought copies for friends, with the simple adm...

In Books and Media
November 25, 2:17pm

Superfeet Performance Green
I have flat feet after wearing rubber slippers in Hawaii for 15 years. When I got back into hiking I found I could only pack for a mile or two before my feet started screaming. Superfeet solved that p...

In Footwear - Boots, Shoes, Gaiters
November 25, 1:47pm