BPL Community Profile

John Donewar (Newton) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Southeastern Louisiana
About Me Bitten by the hiking bug in 2008. The "infection" persists and I am not in search of cure. :-)
Reinfected by the MYOG bug in 2009 and I am still not in search of a cure. :-)
If I am not hiking I am reading about it or working on my gear.
Became a BPL Lifetime Member 5/1/11.
CityGretna
StateLouisiana
CountryU.S.A.

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by John Donewar

Showing 171 - 180 of 1768 | Page: 1 ...9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ...177

Forum » Thread

Re: Razor
I found this rather neat little idea for a travel/trail razor. http://dvice.com/archives/2011/08/carzor-stashes.php Yeah it's gonna be a little heavier but it's dual use. The shav...

In Make Your Own Gear » Long spoon with storage in handle
January 22, 4:50am

Need to shave on the trail?
Colin, Does the "razor" attach to the arrow shaft spoon handle somehow? Party On, Newton

In Make Your Own Gear » Long spoon with storage in handle
January 22, 4:00am

Re: Tarp - 2 questions
"So how long would my tarp need to be? Bivy length + 2 feet?" Tyler it's relatively easy to figure. Do the string thing. Lay your bivy out on the ground and using mason line ...

In Make Your Own Gear » Bivy Plans - Checking on materials
January 20, 9:57pm

Re: Laminar and turbulent flow
"Especially if you've got an identical Foster's can, try increasing its surface roughness with bits of foil, tiny tabs, etc. You may find a significant increase in heat transfer (if yo...

In Make Your Own Gear » Titanium Windscreen Design
January 20, 7:30am

Re: Quit riding me!
Max, " I'm not the only one in this thread that puts stock into color." Agreed! I'd have chosen a "color" also if when I bought my tent from Judy at Lightheart ...

In GEAR » What's your favorite 3-season 1P tent?
January 19, 5:15pm

Re: Why the Tarptent Contrail?
Max, If it's a tarptent, it's gray silnylon or white Tyvek. Check out Henry's gallery. http://www.tarptent.com/gallery.html You could email Henry at... info@tarptent.com ...

In GEAR » What's your favorite 3-season 1P tent?
January 19, 3:01pm

Re: Now for a tarp - Dimensions and plans
Tyler, If you want downpour protection when it's needed I'd suggest going a little longer than 9' in length. With your bivy's length at 8' you might want to add some lengt...

January 19, 10:33am

Re: Finished!
Tyler, Get some rest as it seems you were up late putting the final touches on you bivy. I can't wait for the posting of the "More (and better) photos". Party On, Newton

January 19, 5:17am

Re: ...early adventures in gear making.
Travis, Yeah the yaks wouldn't cooperate anymore and I had to reduce the size of the tents and the number of poles down to 1 pair of trekking poles. I even let go of my merino and silk b...

In GEAR » Kletterworks
January 18, 7:32pm

Re: Re: Kletterworks
Tents? Party On, Newton

In GEAR » Kletterworks
January 18, 1:43pm

All Reader Reviews by John Donewar

Showing 1 - 2 of 2 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Under Armour Men's UA Escape 7" Solid Shorts
Here are the particulars. Ultra-lightweight woven fabric. Mesh internal liner. 360° Reflectivity Hand pockets for your essentials. 7” inseam 2.2 oz. Polyester Men'...</td>          
           <td class=

In Clothing - Baselayer & Fleece - SYNTHETIC
September 29, 10:56am

Scope Outlast
This is a first for me as I have never posted a gear review before. The Scope Outlast Minibrush probably isn't really even considered as hiking gear. Scope Outlast Minibrush

In Backpacks - External Frame
August 13, 12:14pm