BPL Community Profile

John Gilbert (JohnG10) - BPL Forum Member

My Locale Mid-Atlantic
About Me John Gilbert has not added a biography yet.

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by John Gilbert

Showing 171 - 180 of 556 | Page: 1 ...9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ...56

Forum » Thread

Foam Pads
I have a 20 yr old CCF pad that I'd like to replace since it's gotten stiff with age. It's 3/4" thick, Has a cushier density the Ridgerest (or did, when it was new) Has smoot...

In GEAR » Foam Pads
February 26, 2:03pm

Pack for small physiques
My son is that size and carries 13.5 pounds of stuff in his pack. We tried many packs. The Granite Gear Vapor Trail short torso worked best for him. Very cushy belt, straps & backpad. The ba...

In GEAR » Best UL backpack for petite women? 4'7" 98lbs load of around 18 - 20lbs HELP!
February 18, 7:34pm

Grand Canyon Clothing Questions
I wear a poly T-shirt & shorts in Maryland in the summer (typically 90 degrees with 75% humidity) with no sunburn problems, but there is often "partly sunny" weather (ie: some clouds)...

In GEAR » Grand Canyon Clothing Questions
February 09, 2:03pm

Bad back pack
Bad lower 2 disks (belt line & lower kidney area) Also bad SI joint (where side of tailbone connects to pelvis) Both due to auto accident. I find the disks in my lower back start to swell ...

In GEAR » Backpacks for Bad Backs
February 08, 6:25pm

Alaska Trip
If you are doing base-camping with dayhikes, and only moving basecamp every 2-3 days, then I'd personnally just take the 6.5 lb Nemo and enjoy being comfortable in camp. Your half is only 3.25...

In GEAR » Shelters for Alaska
February 05, 11:28am

Tent location on pack
Putting your tent across the top will allow you to walk with a more upright posture, as compared to strapping your tent to the rear bottom corner of your pack. Both are better, from a center of gr...

In GEAR » ZPacks Dyneema X Gridstop Backpacks with Frame Stay
February 04, 2:53pm

Flat Tarp
I almost always pitch my flat tarp as a A-frame. But, re-staking the corner lines takes the wrinkles out of the pitch, and prevents flapping. Using 2 stakes on the long side prevents flapping eve...

In GEAR » Caternary or Flat Tarp?
February 02, 4:30pm

Hipbelt
I also have a bad back - but find that using the hipbelt allows me to be much more comfortable at the end of the day. I think the slight bouncing up & down of the load on my shoulders irritate...

In GEAR » No Hipbelt
February 02, 4:15pm

Vapor Trail
I use a Vapor Trail, with similar gear to yours. I think the straps on the back of the pack are one of it's best features. You can strap your pad there to make room in the pack during shoulde...

In GEAR » Granite gear Vapor flash Vs. Meridian Vapor
February 02, 4:10pm

External Frame Packs
Also, try asking the local scout troops. Externals are often end up sitting in garages, after scouts get a "more modern / cooler looking" internal. BeAScout.org will locate the boysco...

In GEAR » Kelty Super Tioga
January 23, 9:56am

All Reader Reviews by John Gilbert

Showing 1 - 1 of 1 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Wenger Esquire
I was looking for something a little bigger than my Victorinox Classic (2.25") knife. The Wenger Esquire has essentially the same tools, but is 1/3 of an inch longer, about 3/32" wider and ...

In Miscellaneous Products
March 07, 7:05pm