BPL Community Profile

John Gilbert (JohnG10) - BPL Forum Member

My Locale Mid-Atlantic
About Me John Gilbert has not added a biography yet.

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by John Gilbert

Showing 171 - 180 of 561 | Page: 1 ...9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ...57

Forum » Thread

Firesteels
I've done a bunch of experimenting since I posted the original post. Here's what I found: The firesteels throw sparks roughly in proportion to their diameter - after the coating is worn...

In GEAR » Firesteel vs. Natural Tinder
March 12, 5:23am

Kids & Cold Weather backpacking
Here's what I found with my kids: They started with 20 deg SD synthetic (3D) bags. In our mesh inner, full fly (SD lightening) tent. They were too cold to sleep soundly (ie: drowsy 1/2 sle...

In GEAR » Need advice on sleep system for a family in the Peruvian Andes
March 11, 3:18pm

MD / N. VA sleeping bags / quilts
In central MD & Northern VA, and sleeping in a poly T-shirt & running shorts on a 1" Thermarest under a tarp with the wind-ward edge on the ground, or in a tent with full net inner (bo...

In GEAR » Live in the Mid-Atlantic? - What degree bags do you use most after winter?
March 07, 6:14pm

S Straps
The S-straps on my pack work as follows: They curve away from my neck (1st half of the S), which is probably mostly a benefit for large necked men, but are solving a problem that would not exist...

In GEAR » "J" vs "S" straps on ULA packs
March 04, 2:10pm

Evozote Pads
If I can't have both cushy and smooth - I'd rather have cushy. How do the cushiness of the thickest Pro Lite and Gossamer Gear pads compare to the Ridgerest ? Thanks.

In GEAR » Foam Pads
February 26, 4:33pm

Foam Pads
I have a 20 yr old CCF pad that I'd like to replace since it's gotten stiff with age. It's 3/4" thick, Has a cushier density the Ridgerest (or did, when it was new) Has smoot...

In GEAR » Foam Pads
February 26, 2:03pm

Pack for small physiques
My son is that size and carries 13.5 pounds of stuff in his pack. We tried many packs. The Granite Gear Vapor Trail short torso worked best for him. Very cushy belt, straps & backpad. The ba...

In GEAR » Best UL backpack for petite women? 4'7" 98lbs load of around 18 - 20lbs HELP!
February 18, 7:34pm

Grand Canyon Clothing Questions
I wear a poly T-shirt & shorts in Maryland in the summer (typically 90 degrees with 75% humidity) with no sunburn problems, but there is often "partly sunny" weather (ie: some clouds)...

In GEAR » Grand Canyon Clothing Questions
February 09, 2:03pm

Bad back pack
Bad lower 2 disks (belt line & lower kidney area) Also bad SI joint (where side of tailbone connects to pelvis) Both due to auto accident. I find the disks in my lower back start to swell ...

In GEAR » Backpacks for Bad Backs
February 08, 6:25pm

Alaska Trip
If you are doing base-camping with dayhikes, and only moving basecamp every 2-3 days, then I'd personnally just take the 6.5 lb Nemo and enjoy being comfortable in camp. Your half is only 3.25...

In GEAR » Shelters for Alaska
February 05, 11:28am

All Reader Reviews by John Gilbert

Showing 1 - 1 of 1 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Wenger Esquire
I was looking for something a little bigger than my Victorinox Classic (2.25") knife. The Wenger Esquire has essentially the same tools, but is 1/3 of an inch longer, about 3/32" wider and ...

In Miscellaneous Products
March 07, 7:05pm