BPL Community Profile

John Roan (JRoan) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Vegas
About Me Up high, with the ancient bristlecones, or deep in a slot canyon.
CityLas Vegas
StateNV
CountryUSA
My Website URLhttp://www.MountainUltraLight.com
My PDF Gear ListCouples 3 season list

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by John Roan

Showing 171 - 180 of 206 | Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21

Forum » Thread

Re: coulumbia sportswear
Titanium button down short sleeve nylon shirt...button front makes for easy heat adjustment, collar adds to sun protection on back of neck, left shirt pocket with velcro flap off to side makes easy...

In GEAR » coulumbia sportswear
June 16, 9:45pm

Re: Dogs and Leave no trace?
Man's Best Friend...where else do they belong other than by your side. Have you ever seen a happier dog than one going down the trail with his owner? You should see how excited mine get when I ...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Dogs and Leave no trace?
December 17, 4:57pm

Re: Re: Re: Re: Refuge-X: preliminary review
Allison, Two days of afternoon rain & hail this weekend, with pole height of approx. 113cm, which puts the bottom netting horizontal, but above the ground. The only water I had was some drip...

In GEAR » Refuge-X: preliminary review
August 11, 3:34pm

Re: Re: Re: Refuge-X: preliminary review
Yes Allison, site selection is a big one. Per the SMD website, a plastic ground cloth is needed to make the floor more waterproof. I'm going to try the Tyvek ground cloth (although not waterpro...

August 07, 4:56pm

Re: Photo of Lighter
Bob, Yes, the Spark-Lite lights the vapors that come off the alcohol, so priming is probably only needed with allot of wind. It usually starts with one spark. John

In Make Your Own Gear » Stove Lighter
August 07, 11:49am

Re: Re: Stove Lighter
For starting an alcohol stove, I use a spark from s Spark-Lite http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/spark_lite_fire_starter_basic.html Same for Esbit...a few drops of alco...

In Make Your Own Gear » Stove Lighter
August 07, 10:48am

Re: Refuge-X: preliminary review
The "floating canopy", IMHO, is what makes achieving a taut pitch more challenging with this tent. The way mine was pitched in the photos, the bottom netting was mostly on the ground....

August 07, 9:02am

Re: Re: Re: Re: Refuge-X: preliminary review
Allison, My ridgeline seems to be flatter than yours...and I'm not sure if that even matters unless it is flapping in the wind... Not sure if it's because your sides were guyed ou...

August 06, 5:01pm

Re: Re: Refuge-X: preliminary review
This marker is at 10,741' according to a local website. Our camp was in the meadow area on South Loop trail heading towards Charleston Peak, which is 11,918' (near Las Vegas, NV). T...

August 06, 3:00pm

Re: Re: Re: Refuge-X: preliminary review
Thanks for the detailed review Allison! I've only had the opportunity to use mine twice so far, with light wind and rain, but so far so good. Here's a view of my pitch... With two pe...

August 06, 1:55pm

All Reader Reviews by John Roan

Showing 1 - 2 of 2 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Trail Designs Caldera Stove
My rating is actually 4.5 out of 5 (not an option in the drop down box). I...

In Stoves - Alcohol
November 19, 5:35pm

Trail Designs Ti-Tri Inferno
The guys at Trail Designs have built a reputation for themselves by providing innovative products and excellent customer service. Their Caldera Cone system was a revolution in UL wind screen/pot holde...

In Stoves - Other
August 21, 5:35pm