Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

David Thomas (DavidinKenai) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale North Woods. Far North.
About Me David Thomas has not added a biography yet.
CityKenai
StateAlaska
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by David Thomas

Showing 171 - 180 of 3129 | Page: 1 ...9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ...313

Forum » Thread

Re: Sterno sucks..
+1 Due to limited fuel options and a faulty butane adaptor (from horizontal canisters to vertical-BP-style), I got stuck using Sterno on Kauai. At sea level. At 70F. And it couldn't boil ...

In GEAR » Actual fire hazard of wood burning stoves
April 22, 12:13am

Re: Re: Ten Buck DEUCES! Cosmetic seconds! And the Black ones are 15 grams (5.3 ounces) - 2g lighter than regular ones
"I just can't figure out what 5.3 ounces is all about." I think I can. 15 grams = 0.529109 ounces which rounds to .53 ounces. Someone slipped with the decimal point. Happe...

In Gear Deals » Ten Buck DEUCES! Cosmetic seconds! And the Black ones are 15 grams (5.3 ounces) - 2g lighter than regular ones
April 21, 10:57pm

Re: Re: Bigger burner
"aluminum pot will spread the heat more evenly" +1 And, at medium flame, you burn less food on hot spots than at full flame. But even with aluminum, we ULers use thin-bottomed po...

In GEAR » MSR Pocket Rocket options
April 21, 6:29pm

Re: Moving to Colombia: Gear Considerations
Something I expect my kids to know in grade school is: The adiabatic expansion of air results in air being 3.5F cooler for every 1000 feet higher up you go. If you're in town at 1,000 foo...

In GEAR » Moving to Colombia: Gear Considerations
April 21, 6:17pm

Re: MSR Pocket Rocket options
Short answer, yes, the "top of cylinder" stoves like a pocket rocket or BRS3000T are THE place to start, IMO. You might try alcohol or Esbit in the future, but would always want the optio...

In GEAR » MSR Pocket Rocket options
April 21, 4:59pm

Re: The other guy.
>"Fire can spread underground as well." +1 I learned that some years ago. With a campfire on the ground and pretty moist ground at that. After having the fire go for an evening...

In GEAR » Actual fire hazard of wood burning stoves
April 19, 10:26pm

Re: Hig and Erin ski from Nome to Kotzebue w/ the kids
I was in Kotz two weeks ago, ice fishing through the frozen sea ice, felt cold after two hours in the wind at 5F and called it a day. And felt like such a wimp knowing Hig, Erin, Lituya, and Ka...

In Winter Hiking » Hig and Erin ski from Nome to Kotzebue w/ the kids
April 18, 6:34pm

Re: Fires and stoves in snow shelters
Multiple people heat up a snow cave pretty well. And with people, you only have to worry about CO2 which you get some warning of (stronger and stronger urge to breath). Stoves and fires also make C...

In Winter Hiking » Fires and stoves in snow shelters
April 18, 12:57am

Re: Re: Save the weight and $$
>"I would love to get the BRS-3000T but with only a couple of weeks until my trip, I don't think it will get here on time." Kenneth: I'm enough of a BRS-3000T evangelist ...

In GEAR » Need suggestions for lighter stove
April 17, 3:36pm

Re: Re: Save the weight and $$
Oops. Double post.

In GEAR » Need suggestions for lighter stove
April 17, 3:34pm

All Reader Reviews by David Thomas

David Thomas has posted no reviews.