Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

David Thomas (DavidinKenai) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale North Woods. Far North.
About Me David Thomas has not added a biography yet.
CityKenai
StateAlaska
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by David Thomas

Showing 171 - 180 of 3040 | Page: 1 ...9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ...304

Forum » Thread

We are all pretty good.
Yes, 140F is the hold-on-to-it limit. Yes the canister, below the fuel line on the opposite side reflects the liquid butane temperature (which determines the vapor pressure). Yes, 140F is okay (thi...

In Make Your Own Gear » Jetboil cold weather heat exchanger
March 09, 9:45pm

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Lightest PLB?
"My house seldom gets that cold" But my car trunk does. You gotta store your gear (sleeping bag, CCF, gloves, PLB) somewhere. In Alaska, we store those things in the car during the Win...

In GEAR » Lightest PLB?
March 09, 9:46am

Re: Re: Supplies
"BTW, I forgot to mention that the silicone sheet material came from some ice cube tray covers purchased at Bed Bath & Beyond" Silicon pot holders and non-stick sheets for cookie b...

March 09, 9:41am

Re: Supplies
Exactly. Copper goes to MUCH higher temperatures than aluminum. I've melted the tips of some experimental aluminum HX fins in butane flames. Thicker aluminum helps, though, because more heat is...

March 09, 9:33am

Re: Re: Re: Lightest PLB?
ACR says you can store theirs (with lithium batteries) down to -40.

In GEAR » Lightest PLB?
March 08, 9:52pm

Re: I don't like freezing steak, doesn't it affect the taste?
I'm less knowagable about steak storage than fish, but fish is touchier than steak and I am expert on preserving salmon and halibut. Skip the vacuum packer if just for this app. Trim the st...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » Taking fresh meats on hikes - how long does it last?
March 08, 9:48pm

Re: Lightest PLB?
Battery storage (and usage?!?) limits are 10C 18F less cold than the ACR ResQlink, perhap due to the different battery types. That actually gives me pause. You Southerners, maybe less so.

In GEAR » Lightest PLB?
March 08, 9:36pm

Re: Taking fresh meats on hikes - how long does it last?
The risk with chicken isn't the meat so much as the samanelia on the skin. Ground meat of any type is riskier than a cut of meat. In 20C / 70F temps, two frozen steaks would last over 24 h...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » Taking fresh meats on hikes - how long does it last?
March 08, 6:20pm

Re: Re: And here is what happened.
Ralph, Good overview of our hike today - maximize our time in the snow. There were lots of footprints leading east which fooled me for about 20 feet. But it wasn't going where a downhill tra...

In Pre-Trip Planning » Hitchhiking at Grand Canyon
March 07, 7:10pm

And here is what happened.
Kenneth texted me that he hadn't realized about the time difference NV vs AZ and would be a little later. My daughter and I hiked a bit from Grandview trailhead. Came back up, met Kenneth, and ...

In Pre-Trip Planning » Hitchhiking at Grand Canyon
March 07, 5:58pm

All Reader Reviews by David Thomas

David Thomas has posted no reviews.