BPL Community Profile

David Thomas (DavidinKenai) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale North Woods. Far North.
About Me David Thomas has not added a biography yet.
CityKenai
StateAlaska
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by David Thomas

Showing 171 - 180 of 2592 | Page: 1 ...9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ...260

Forum » Thread

Re: What kind of layers do I need for 14 Fahrenheit?
Are you trying to go cheap (but reasonable in weight) or UL (hang the cost)? My snarky response to Caliornians & Oregonians dealing with sub-zero temps for the first time (I was once was one...

In GEAR » What kind of layers do I need for 14 Fahrenheit?
August 20, 3:58pm

Got mine, too
Mine came in just under 4 ounces. I like the side mesh pocket for a water bottle not because it is a fabulous pocket (it's okay), but because it's an OUTSIDE POCKET. In my Sea-to-Summit...

In Gear Deals » Bear Grylls Ultralight Summit Pack - 4oz Compactible Daypack for $11
August 20, 12:07pm

Re: Re: Re: Do you carry a backup fire starter? What and Why or Why Not?
>"Your backup fire starter needs to be in your pocket." +1 Although I should be better about this on BPing trip, I am rigorous about it while boating (canoe, kayaking power boats...

In SuperUltraLight (SUL) Backpacking Discussion » Do you carry a backup fire starter? What and Why or Why Not?
August 20, 11:51am

Re: Re: Economy Trail Runners?
>"what about whatever shoes they already have?" -Jerry +1 Have them bring both their lightest boot and their toughest running shoe to the next meeting. Check for heel lift (rare...

In Backpacking Light with Scouts » Economy Trail Runners?
August 19, 4:39pm

+1 on STP. Especially right now.
>"Sierra Trading Post. Wait for sales, then have the whole troop pounce." +1 Yeah, A few days ago I received a pair of La Sportiva C-Lite 2.0 Trail Running Shoes. STP stock # 51...

In Backpacking Light with Scouts » Economy Trail Runners?
August 19, 4:26pm

Re: Had an epic trip
And to post just two of the fish photos Manfred sent me, here are Daniel and Philipp with some of the many fish that wouldn't fit in the pot. I especially like the neolithic table.

In Post-Trip Reports » Brook's Range Traverse
August 18, 5:19pm

TMI about Power Bars
>". . . a Power Bar when it got cold. It was hard enough that you could pound in your tent stakes with it." +1 Hence, it was the ultimate multi-purpose gear. Slip it into your s...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » The trail food you just can't stand.
August 18, 4:35pm

Re: MYOG head net
I find dark netting easier to see through than light colors. Light colors reflect more light and make my view less distinct. As noted, a thin wire or metal band to hold it away from your face m...

In Make Your Own Gear » MYOG head net
August 17, 10:57pm

Re: Re: Re: Re: The trail food you just can't stand.
>"Do y'all remember PowerBars?" The saving grace of PowerBars was that nothing can happen to a PowerBar during a caving trip (cold, wet, muddy, crawling on your belly while rest...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » The trail food you just can't stand.
August 17, 8:48pm

Re: Exploring the Guadalupe Mountains and Pecos Wilderness
Luke, Thanks for the trip report. I've pondered the Guadalupe Mtns as a Spring Break option for our family. Coming out of an Alaskan winter, the temps and snow aren't an issue and we don&...

In Post-Trip Reports » Exploring the Guadalupe Mountains and Pecos Wilderness
August 17, 2:20pm

All Reader Reviews by David Thomas

David Thomas has posted no reviews.