BPL Community Profile

Eric Blumensaadt (Danepacker) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Mojave Desert
About Me Retired H.S. teacher, 10 yr. Nat'l Nordic Ski Patroller, fmr. XC racer, Army ROTC winter survival instructor, hunter, backpacker, former ACA moving water canoeing instructor, sea kayaker.
FINALLY have become a lightweight (not UL)backpacker.
CityHenderson
StateNevada
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Eric Blumensaadt

Showing 171 - 180 of 3764 | Page: 1 ...9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ...377

Forum » Thread

Daymn!
Ahd here I thought my Lexan long handled spoon was indestructable. Well, I carry a tiny lockblade Gerber knife so If'n I break my spoon maybe I can whittle a "spoon" 'til I ge...

In GEAR » Yes, you can break a Lexan spoon
April 19, 9:17pm

Pelous
I use a Pelous $20. digital postal scale that weighs items up to 5 lbs. in oz. or grams. Love it. Total pack weight is done on digital bath scales.

In GEAR » What scale do you use?
April 19, 9:13pm

Tarptent(s)
The smallest tent that Tarptent mskes is the Moment DW. Your pooch MAY fit in the main vestibule and IMHO that's where a dog belongs - on their own mat. Other options are the TT Stratospire ...

In GEAR » A Solid UL Shelter!
April 18, 2:00pm

Congrats
Congrats Phillip on "converting" to alcohol - stoves, that is. After you've used alky stove for a while look at Trail Designs "Sidewinder" Caldera Cone ti stove. It's...

In GEAR » I've crossed over the river to a new level of gearhead status
April 18, 1:56pm

"Half done is well begun."
I agree with Tjaard, finish this article as Will Reitvelld would do, with two more articles on the "other" lightweight tents out there and a final fourth article with good comparison tabl...

In Editor's Roundtable » Top Ultralight Tent Review
April 17, 8:06pm

"The "Food" here...
...is actually pretty good, but the portions are small." On this "General Backpacking" page that is, not Gear and others. Well, yeah, maybe I should quit griping and contribute a ...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Ehy do I even bother to look at this page?
April 17, 7:43pm

Why do I even bother to look at this page?
Day after day I see the SAME threads on this page. BPLers must either be very busy with their lives or have migrated to other sites. NOTE: I see that originally I couldn't even spell "W...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Ehy do I even bother to look at this page?
April 16, 11:38pm

Good choice
Nice design and a very good choice of pack maker. If'n I ever get a custom backpack it will be a Zimmerbuilt.

In GEAR » New Zimmerbuilt pack
April 16, 11:32pm

(My) Best 4 Season Tent Choice
I feel the Tarptent Moment DW WITH the "solid" (ripstop) inner tent and crossing pole option is the best 4 season tent out there for solo backpackers. The Moment DW has 2 doors and 2 v...

In GEAR » TENT, SLEEPING BAG AND STOVE SUGGESTIONS.
April 14, 3:40pm

Neo-Air -Lite... maybe
With my tiny dividend and REI birthday gift cards from my two YUPPIE daughters I MAY get a Thermarest Neo-Air X-Lite. But the d@mn noise is a lot to put up with for a slightly lighter mattress t...

In GEAR » REI coupon/dividend - what ya got?
April 12, 1:32pm

All Reader Reviews by Eric Blumensaadt

Showing 1 - 10 of 28 | Page: 1 2 3

Review

Category

Tarptent Scarp 2
I purchased the Scarp 2 SPECIFICALLY for 4 season use. I knew I would modifiy it for winter use when I purchased it. The Scarp 2 is my 3rd Tarptent, following a Contrail and Moment SW. Like them it...

In Shelters - Double Wall Tents
November 02, 8:09pm

Allen and Mike's Backcountry Ski Book
"Allen & Mike's Really Cool Backcountry Ski Book" is the very best book on teh eop I have ever read - and I've read most of them in the last 40 years of backcountry skiing and ca...

In Books and Media
October 24, 8:01pm

REI Kimtah
Recently got the REI Kimtah eVent parka and on a Ruby Mountains, Nevada backpack found it to be as good a wind jacket as it is a rain parka. The sale price was $159.95 which is 30% off the regular ...

In Clothing - Raingear
October 03, 1:45am

Eddie Bauer Down Sweater
I purchased an Eddie Bauer Down Sweater (their term) on sale this summer for $89. It was reviewed by Will Riveted in his extensive articles of light down jackets and got a favorable, "middle-o...

In Clothing - Insulating - Down
October 27, 8:15pm

Thermarest Trail Pro Regular
I won my Trail Pro regular at a Sierra Club Outings leaders training seminar, otherwise I would not have spent the money B/C I seldom car camp. But now I have an alternative for a winter ski camping m...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
May 03, 9:56pm

Brunton Crux
I bought the Brunton Flex because of its wider burner ring for better heat distribution so I wouldn't get a hot spot on the bottom of my pot when cooking. I was not aware that there was a Brunt...

In Stoves - Canister
January 29, 9:38pm

tarptent moment
I give the Moment a "5" because I feel it is currently the best solo single wall tent design. It has great quality, innovative design and excellent attention to detail. My previous solo ...

In Shelters - Single Wall Tents
December 24, 12:52pm

Carbelas GORE-TEX® PacLite® Rainy River Parka
Cabela's Rainy River GTX PacLite parka (and pants) are THE bargain in good quality, lightweight, breathable rainwear at the 2010 regular $99. price. The Taslanized fabric is a matte finish, unlike...

In Clothing - Raingear
August 08, 12:10am

Vargo Triad XE
The XE version of Vargo's Triad is an improvement in several ways. 1. After I complained of the original removable alcohol burner being too small the company owner responded by making it larger...

In Stoves - Alcohol
May 18, 8:51pm

Brunton Flex
This is the newer version of the Prumus/Brunton Crux canister-top stove and appears to have corrected faults reported by Crux owners. First the number of fold-out pot supports has increased from 3...

In Stoves - Canister
May 10, 3:38pm