Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Shawn Basil (Bearpaw) - BPL Forum Member

My Locale Southeast
About Me Eagle Scout, Philmont Ranger, Marine Corps Arctic/Mountain training (Norway deployments), Appalachian Trail Through-hiker ('99), NOLS Instructor ('01-'03), Trail Crew Leader (Cumberland Trail Conference, '00-'05), Pack and Bootfitter (REI, '01-'06), Colorado Trail Through-hiker ('06)
CityNashville
StateTennessee
CountryUSA
My Website URLhttp://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=6275

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Shawn Basil

Showing 171 - 180 of 284 | Page: 1 ...9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29

Forum » Thread

Re: Re: dropping pounds
I agree with the idea that long-distance hiking really IS a great way to lose body fat. I know from MANY long-summers. I typically lose 25-40 pounds in a summer of walking only to slowly gain it ...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » dropping pounds
March 14, 12:29pm

My favorite
Hands down, my ULA Catalyst. Just an incredible design!

In GEAR » Favorite Piece of Gear Purchased? Last 6 Mo.
March 11, 8:29pm

Concerns with Big Sky
Currently the biggest issue is that most customers have had to wait for about a year to get one. This isn't an exaggeration at all. Dozens of posters on multiple forums have experienced this....

In GEAR » Bacpacker Magazine award to Big Sky
March 07, 4:50pm

Re: Re: Re: Re: BP and Big Sky
To Ms. Hostetter, Thanks for the response. Another forum where you can see more discussion on Big Sky's issues is posted on The Lightweight Backpacker at Backpacking.net. The administrator...

March 07, 12:51pm

Re: Backpacker EC Award to BS
Brian Frankle wrote "Lastly, since when can you have a factory(s)in Asia and be considered 'cottage'? Maybe I am off base, but 'Cottage' in my mind has always represented smal...

March 06, 7:32pm

BP and Big Sky
Scott, I have to respectfully disagree with you on this point. Yes, this is about recreation, and Big Sky hasn't been providing any when it defrauds its consumers for over a year or more. I f...

March 06, 6:53am

Re: Re: Re: Interesting Podiatrist's Advice
"I asked about Montrail, and he frowned and said they had "too much curvature". I wish I'd asked what he meant." He likely is referring to the narrowness of the instep, ...

In GEAR » Interesting Podiatrist's Advice
March 03, 9:29am

Thorlo light hikers and trail runners
Thorlo's Coolmax Light Hikers have been my favorite summer socks in the hot humid terrain I know here in Tennessee. They are just a bit thicker than most other Coolmax socks I know, but they s...

In GEAR » Socks for hot weather
March 02, 6:26pm

Re: Re: Re: REI and MontBell
"I think that REI may actually have had a couple of big stores in Tokyo, but the one near my house didn't close until maybe 4 years ago." That sounds about right. The decision to ...

In GEAR » Snow Peak Gigapower Stove
February 26, 9:29pm

Re: REI and MontBell
"I vaguely (very vaguely) recall something to the effect that MontBell's earlier withdrawal involved a bankruptcy of sorts. I wonder if there's 'bad blood' between these two co...

In GEAR » Snow Peak Gigapower Stove
February 26, 7:00am

All Reader Reviews by Shawn Basil

Showing 1 - 10 of 14 | Page: 1 2

Review

Category

Gregory Z-55
After loving my old Gregory Z-Pack, I had high hopes for the beautifully ventilated Z-55. As a southeastern hiker, I usually head west to high cool mountains when summer heat and humidity begin to ba...

In Backpacks - Internal Frame
August 03, 11:25am

ULA Catalyst
I've owned 14 packs in the last 8 years and the ULA Catalyst is the best pack of the lot. I've used in Tennessee's Cumberland Plateau and Great Smoky Mountains, Nevada's Tahoe Rim Tra...

August 01, 9:23pm

Princeton Tec EOS
For years I used my Tikka and Tikka Plus, exuberantly satisfied with the compact, lightweight, and long-lasting nature of their light. But at times, I found that when I really needed extra light, suc...

In Lights - Flashlights & Headlamps
February 24, 3:53pm

Probar Energy Bar
When I first tried a Probar, I though I had finally found the "perfect trail bar" to challenge the venerable Bear Valley Pemmican Bar. It packs smaller, weighs slightly less, performs just ...

In Foods - Energy Bars, Gels, and Drinks
February 23, 5:13pm

Bear Valley Mealpack Bars
Bear Valley Meal Pack and Pemmican Bars are, without a doubt, one of the most efficient foods a backpacker can hope to carry. Since I first encountered them as a scout at Philmont 22 years ago, they ...

In Foods - Energy Bars, Gels, and Drinks
February 23, 4:55pm

GoLite Phantom Jacket
This was my jacket during my Colorado Trail through-hike this past summer. It's breathability is better than most, and its ventilation is superb. I hiked many miles over two weeks through monsoo...

In Clothing - Raingear
February 21, 1:55pm

Arc'Teryx Sirrus Jacket
This jacket, made in 2002 and 2003 used a combination of XCR Goretex with Paclite fabric, a combination I have not seen in other jackets. The breathability is, to put it mildly, superb. The material...

In Clothing - Raingear
February 21, 1:44pm

Mountainsmith Ghost
For warm weather in areas where I don't need to carry large amounts of water, this is my favorite pack. I use the original blue 2002 version. The pack is a dream for my longer torso. For those ...

February 21, 1:36pm

Gregory Z-Pack
I love my old, but tough 2004 Z-pack. It served me well for over 1000 miles and is still in good overall shape. My size large weighs in at exactly 3 pounds (after trimming off nearly 4 ounces of unn...

February 21, 1:23pm

Complete Walker by Colin Fletcher
I first read The Complete Walker III in 1997. I'd been backpacking recreationally for 15 years, but still learned a tremendous amount and appreciated the well-written prose and humor in the book....

In Books and Media
February 21, 10:27am