BPL Community Profile

Barry P (BarryP) - BPL Forum Member

My Locale Eastern Idaho (moved from Midwest)
About Me Electrical Engineer by trade. Hobbies include recumbent bike riding, magic, piano, music compostion and of course backpacking.

Backpack monthly with scouts or other small group. Love the exercise and alertness it brings. Ray Way caught my eye in 2001. My load lightened. Because of that, able to go faster, farther, AND still smell the roses. Love the lightweight insight on this forum. I'm also a Teva sandal backpacker. My feet love them.
StateID
My PDF Gear ListBarry's Gear List

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Barry P

Showing 171 - 180 of 313 | Page: 1 ...9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ...32

Forum » Thread

Re: River Crossing Camp Shoe ... Again :(
Hi Rafi, In my BPL way of thinking, these 2 sentences just don’t go together: -“I will be backpacking with gortex lined boots, which, if they get wet inside, stay wet.” -“I'm lookin...

In GEAR » River Crossing Camp Shoe ... Again :(
August 01, 1:18pm

Chemicals the heaviest option?
I keep seeing statements like “Any other option will be heavier than the chemicals.” and “If weight is your prime concern, chemicals are the way to go.” It seems with chemicals you’re ...

In GEAR » PCT water filter
July 29, 3:33pm

Re: Suggestions for ways to teach a ul course for scouts ?
I put on a few lighten-up seminars in IL. Even though it was geared toward scouts we also advertised it as a Emergency Preparedness workshop. Surprisingly a lot of older folks showed because of it....

In Backpacking Light with Scouts » Suggestions for ways to teach a ul course for scouts ?
May 13, 2:02pm

Re: CR 123 shelf life?
Just a head’s up on Titanium brand. I struggled with those in my CR123 lights. On high they do OK but on med and low they just drop out way sooner than the Surefire brand. And it wasn’t repeata...

In GEAR » CR 123 shelf life?
May 09, 4:49pm

Re: Alchy Stove Recomendations for Scout Troops
I’ve never really appreciated the triangia since the complete kitchen set is about double the weight of the homemade alcy setups. I’ve been on dozens of backpacking trips with scouts ranging...

In GEAR » Alchy Stove Recomendations for Scout Troops
May 02, 4:06pm

Re: Group cooking with alcohol stove: large or many small pots?
Several times I’ve fed 12 people (2 families or 10 scouts). All I had was 2 pepsi stoves and a .9L and 1.2L pot. The whole key though was eating in shifts. We would be boiling water continually f...

In GEAR » Group cooking with alcohol stove: large or many small pots?
April 04, 5:09pm

Re: ground cloth
“if you aren't expecting rain in the forecast would it be better to put the ground cloth under the netting?” I wouldn’t because my backpacking equipment would snag on the floor; Velcro...

In GEAR » New beak for the zPacks Hex
November 30, 6:32pm

Re: RE: Cool
Hey Scott, nice snow shot. That reminds me of a problem I had. I am now getting into the winter season with my Hexamid I bought last April. Two weeks ago I took it into Idaho’s Eastern mounta...

In GEAR » New beak for the zPacks Hex
November 21, 10:47pm

Re: Hex
“Barry - did you have the extended beak option on your Hex? It looks like that option is one that I would choose or perhaps the door.” No. Extended beak didn’t exist back in April. So far ...

In GEAR » Best tent for rain
November 21, 10:28pm

Re: Best tent for rain
“What are some of the better tents for keeping one dry from the rain in the wet Adirondacks.” Easily 75% of my backpacking has been in rain. I don’t know why I’m so lucky that way. On...

In GEAR » Best tent for rain
November 21, 9:50pm

All Reader Reviews by Barry P

Barry P has posted no reviews.