Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Brad Groves (4quietwoods) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Michigan
About Me Mostly longer trips without resupply, in what usually seems to be cold and wet conditions. Over two decades of backcountry travel including backpacking and canoe tripping. I consider Marquette to be my home, but I currently live down-state. Many years as a buyer in specialty outdoor retail.
My PDF Gear Listalways changing

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Brad Groves

Showing 171 - 180 of 1559 | Page: 1 ...9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ...156

Forum » Thread

Gravity, or not
The Sawyer filter is super easy to use, and the recent update w/incorporated quick connects is nice. I don't bother with a water bag. I just spliced the Sawyer into a 3L Platy hoser bladder; I ...

In GEAR » gravity filter
October 13, 7:44pm

Re: Best 15-20 Degree bag for the Weight? WM UltraLite? Hummingbird? Others?
If you're thinking toward the warmer side, also check out the Western Apache. It's a 15*F bag, 3 ounces heavier than the Ultralite b/c it's filled with another 3 ounces of down. Same cu...

In GEAR » Best 15-20 Degree bag for the Weight? WM UltraLite? Hummingbird? Others?
October 13, 7:35pm

Re: Bivy
Momentum is not remotely waterproof, just slightly water resistant... which I mention because there's next to no comparison to a totally waterproof/B fabric like Goretex. Two different applicat...

In Make Your Own Gear » Bivy
October 12, 6:05pm

Re: Possible solution
Since your son eats almost as much as you, would losing ~35% of the volume w/the smallest mug (vs a 600ml) work for you?

In GEAR » Nesting Titanium Mugs?
October 12, 10:49am

Re: Camp Xenon Trekking Poles
From Summer OR coverage: http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/orsm2010_day_4_cool_finds.html I'd be surprised if you don't see a review on these in the coming months.

In GEAR » Camp Xenon Trekking Poles
October 12, 10:47am

Re: warranty
It's probably a bit late in the game, but for future reference I've found that tossing a cotton bath towel into the front loader w/the bag helps weigh it down, so the whole thing gets under...

In GEAR » Western Mountaineering Warranty?
October 12, 9:24am

Re: BPL Subscription
Seriously, $25 is chump change compared to the info you can get. Even if you ignored the members only articles, you'll save hundreds (if not more) of dollars with the information available to y...

In GEAR » BPL Subscription
October 12, 9:22am

Re: Re: Nesting Titanium Mugs?
Evernew stuff is interesting; pretty easy to find at one supplier if you go to antigravitygear.com. However, in the tall-aspect diameter pots there aren't really 3 that fit, and to get the full...

October 11, 6:39pm

Re: Re: Re: Nesting Titanium Mugs?
I think you'll be hard-pressed to find 3 handled single-wall mugs in that narrow of a volume range. I understand your desire and volume concerns, but have in the past found myself banging my he...

October 11, 5:15pm

Re: Western Mountaineering or Feathered Friends?
Feathered Friends Peregrine - 37.4 oz. down, 3 lbs. 14 oz. total weight. Comfort (?) rating of -25 degrees F. Western Mountaineering Puma - 36 oz. down, 3 lbs. 7 oz. total weight. Comfort (?) rati...

In GEAR » Western Mountaineering or Feathered Friends?
October 11, 11:30am

All Reader Reviews by Brad Groves

Brad Groves has posted no reviews.