Steven McAllister (brooklynkayak) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Atlantic North East
About Me Outdoors
Expedition kayaking
Backpacking
CityBrooklyn
StateNY
CountryUS

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Steven McAllister

Showing 1681 - 1690 of 2012 | Page: 1 ...160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 ...202

Forum » Thread

Re: Windshirts
My experience: Windshirts blocks wind, but allows water vapor to escape. Rain shells do not. A windshirt over fleece/sweater makes a huge difference in warmth. It will also repel light rain....

In GEAR » Windshirts - What am I missing?
July 01, 6:06pm

Re: Generic "Tyvek" - heavier than silnylon
Yes, standard construction Tyvek is heavier. Makes for a great groundcloth if you are dealing with sharp jagged rocks, cactus and broken glass, but I would never use it as a shelter. I tried onc...

In GEAR » Generic "Tyvek" - heavier than silnylon
July 01, 5:57pm

Stealth
I tend to stick with less visible line, but that is because I often have to stealth camp. A lot of great backpacking in my area, but areas don't allow camping. I've never had any issues,...

In GEAR » Guy-lines for Tarp
July 01, 5:53pm

Re: Re: Duofold shirts
Duofold have many styles and weights. Some are mostly cotton, most are a blend of cotton, merino and polyester. The light 85% poly 15% cotton version are are what I like and they are relativel...

In GEAR » Duofold shirts
July 01, 8:03am

Additional ties
If you haven't yet, check this out: http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/myog-laminating-silicone-impregnated-fabrics.html

In GEAR » 6.5' x 9' tarp. Panel Tie-outs?
July 01, 4:33am

Re: foo

In User Test Forum » foo
July 01, 4:31am

Re: RE:Finally got a tarp
+1 on the BearPawTent bug bivy. Bug net and bathtub floor. I use an SMD Meteor Bivy and sometimes SMD Serenity, depending on what tarp I'm using. The BearPaw is a better price. A bug b...

In GEAR » Finally got a tarp
July 01, 3:57am

Summer sun
An umbrella is an item I thought would be handy in long summer sun hikes. Not just for rain.

In Multiple Use Gear » Is there a combo pole/pole/brolly?
June 30, 7:29pm

Lookin good
Oh yeah, a nice spacious living space. Be aware that closing off all sides may be somewhat better in very rare circumstances. You could always re-pitch closer to the ground in those cases.

In GEAR » Finally got a tarp
June 30, 7:15pm

Re: Grip clips
Grip Clips can stress silnylon and cause it to leak. I am a big fan of extra reinforced tie-outs. They do come in handy when the weather gets crazy. They make the shelter behave better so you s...

In GEAR » 6.5' x 9' tarp. Panel Tie-outs?
June 30, 7:10pm

All Reader Reviews by Steven McAllister

Showing 1 - 10 of 11 | Page: 1 2

Review

Category

RailRiders Eco-Mesh Clothing
I wear both the shirt and the pants when sun and/or bugs are an issue. They are light, well ventilated and flexible. Mesh ventilated sleeves on the shirt protects arms from bug and sun. Loose fi...

In Clothing - Baselayer & Fleece - SYNTHETIC
November 08, 5:25pm

Melanzana micro grid hoody
Grid fleece is more hydrophobic than standard fleece, but not quite as warm without a shell. Great for cool days. Put a wind shell over the top and you have a warm combination that breaths well and k...

In Clothing - Baselayer & Fleece - SYNTHETIC
November 08, 4:53pm

Integral Designs Silcoat Cape
The biggest complaint that people seem to have about this cape is that it doesn't extend below the knees. I personally prefer this as it works better when hiking in rough terrain or when wearing ...

In Clothing - Raingear
November 08, 10:12am

Mountain Laurel Designs Monk Tarp Spinnaker
This makes a great summer or emergency ultralight shelter. Add a bivy and it could be used year round. I had problems with the durability of the spinnaker version. A couple tie-outs are starting to...

In Shelters - Tarps & Floorless
November 08, 10:00am

Six Moon Designs Serenity NetTent
Although most people use this combined with the Gatewood Cape, I have used it many times under an Oware Alphamid and I'm sure it would work great under many other pyramid shelters. It is lighter...

November 08, 9:50am

Equinox 8 X 10 silnylon tarp
Although it has grommets instead of tie-outs, the grommets are reinforced and can take abuse. It has mid-point tie-outs that help make it a more versatile shelter. A great step up from the stand...

November 08, 9:41am

Integral Designs Siltarp 2
A good all around tarp. It does not have any mid point tie-outs like Oware and others have. This limits your pitch options, but if all you use is an a-frame or flying diamond pich, this is perfe...

November 08, 9:28am

Oware Flat Tarp 2.5
You will not find a more flexible shelter. Square shape and multiple well placed tie-outs means more pitch options than most shelters. 9'x9' means big enough for a variety of conditions. ...

November 08, 9:23am

Gossamer Gear Spinshelter
The GG Spinnshelter has much of the flexibility of a flat tarp, but easier pitch in a storm-proof mode. It sheds wind well and is fairly roomy when pitched high. You may not be able to fully sit ...

May 25, 9:48am

Gatorade Bottle
On problem with sports drink(Gatorade) bottles is that the cap is made out of a different more brittle material. I have experienced the caps breaking many times from being dropped when full of water. ...

In Hydration - Water Storage Containers
June 18, 5:24am