November 20, 2015 8:16 PM MST - Subscription purchasing, account maintenance, forum profile maintenance, new account registration, and forum posting have been disabled
as we prepare our databases for the final migration to our new server next week. Stay tuned here for more details.
Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Jim Colten (jcolten) - BPL Premium Member

My Locale MN
About Me Jim Colten has not added a biography yet.
My PDF Gear Listtest

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Jim Colten

Showing 1661 - 1670 of 2031 | Page: 1 ...158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 ...204

Forum » Thread

Re: Tea light candles, rather than the tins.
KMart grease-pot with the strainer cut down to convert the pot into a steamer Nice idea!

In GEAR » Multiple Tealights
December 31, 2:39am

Re: Skurka looking for expedition ideas
El Camino Inca?

In Hiking Partners / Group Trip Announcements » Skurka looking for expedition ideas
December 30, 9:43am

Re: WTB: Down Sleeping bag 20-30 degree/cheap as possible
I have THIS ONE. There's some wiggle room in the price.

In Gear Swap » WTB: Down Sleeping bag 20-30 degree/cheap as possible
December 30, 5:02am

Re: AT Thru-hike sleeping bag
Click here for recent thread on the same topic. If the bag you have is not too snug on you I think you'd get more versatility and bang for the buck by sleeping in it wearing insulated clothi...

In GEAR » AT Thru-hike sleeping bag
December 29, 8:16pm

Re: 0-15 degree sleeping bags
Ultra-light 0*F bags tend to be ultra-heavy on the pocketbook and are desirable in only a narrow range of climate conditions. Assuming that you already have a bag and guessing that it is rated for ...

In GEAR » 0-15 degree sleeping bags
December 27, 10:32pm

Re: Rain wear compromise
I have a friend who's been happy with the same set of Frogg Toggs for at least 4 years. Have stood up to his somewhat careful use on many BSA weekend campouts, two Philmont trips, a couple SHT...

In GEAR » Rain wear compromise
December 27, 11:43am

Re: Jardine's book is in the library
the book is nowhere to be found in our local libraries Ask your librarian about InterLibrary Loan

In GEAR » Beyond Backing - the book by Ray Jardine
December 20, 8:17pm

Re: 2008 Golite Shelters @
also a few size/color combos of the Jam2 pack and maybe some jackets (I didn't check many but most I did were "out of stock")

In GEAR » 2008 Golite Shelters @
December 20, 11:39am

Re: OB instructor tarp setup
David, That's a pretty nice setup, looks like it might handle three? Was it a flat tarp?

In GEAR » Large Tarp Setup?
December 20, 10:18am

Re: Making own fleece vest
If your travel schedule gives you time in a large city you could consider buying a fleece vest in the US. If not, all you have to lose is the cost of the cheap fleece jumper so give it a try. ...

In Make Your Own Gear » Making own fleece vest
December 16, 9:20am

All Reader Reviews by Jim Colten

Showing 1 - 3 of 3 | Page: 1

My entry into the world of tarping was with Hernry's orginal squall. Later that year the Cloudburst was introduced. I contacted him about an idea of converting my squall to use an arched front p...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
December 30, 11:04am
1) good products 2) friendly and useful help before ans after sale 3) great customer service I'd rate Thru-Hiker a 6 if that was an option

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
December 01, 8:10am

Minibull Designs Pocket Puck
Hector, I had similar experience .... but only the first time I lit it. Since then I've been giving the pocket puck about 15-30 seconds more warmup time and it has always stayed lit. There is a...

In Stoves - Alcohol
October 16, 6:04am