BPL Community Profile

Jim Colten (jcolten) - BPL Premium Member

My Locale MN
About Me Jim Colten has not added a biography yet.
My PDF Gear Listtest

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Jim Colten

Showing 1651 - 1660 of 1839 | Page: 1 ...157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 ...184

Forum » Thread

Re: Modifying sil nylon
A. Is it possible to sew these guypoints onto sil nylon? yes B. It is simply a matter of sewing extra sil nylon to the spot where I want the guy points and then sewing them on robustly? ye...

In Make Your Own Gear » Modifying sil nylon
December 07, 6:20am

Re: Seam Sealer
Crud....I forgot to add the seam sealer! Thanks for the reminder! Not much of a problem, GE Silicon Sealer II ... available at any good hardware store (be sure to buy clear, not white;-)

In Gear Deals » holiday sale at tarptent.com
December 01, 7:48pm

Re: wind mitts
There is a fleece mitten pattern at Thru-Hiker that could be used for wind mitts. I made some almost a year ago and used the Thru-Hiker article as a starting point. They work great ... 6*F ...

In Make Your Own Gear » Wind Mitts - pattern and material?
December 01, 2:37pm

Re: Bear Flares-dual use
I don't want to drag this out much longer so responses to this will get the last word ... promise. It isn't exactly that it's consumable that disqualifies a flare as dual use in my mind. It is ...

In GEAR » Fire starter idea
November 29, 8:47pm

Re: Bushbudy alternate?,$20,4.5oz
Let us know how it works ... but from the foto it doesn't look like it'll breath

In GEAR » Ryan's Favorites: BushBuddy
November 29, 8:20pm

Re: fire starter idea
That's an interesting article, I've passed it on to a friend who's back door is a short walk from Glacier NP and who can speak from experience about grizzly charges. I'll be interested in his comm...

November 29, 4:00pm

Trail Etiquette or Trail Rage?
Maybe we should remember why hikers are angry, Of course we can feel anger and even resentment when seeing wrongdoing. Nothing wrong with that. But justified anger does not equate to justify...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Trail Etiquette ?
November 23, 12:01pm

Re: Fire starter idea
Dale, Ya thinking of something like this? (click on "Survival Necklace" in the menu on the left and then scroll down about 3/4 of the way thru the page to the details about the "Four-Finger-Fir...

November 19, 6:21pm

Re: Your questions needed for new BPL column
Andrew, One question I'd really like to see answered is "How in #$%^&* did you manage to get down the Drain Pipe in winter? (Tettegouche Park on the SHT)

In Philosophy & Technique » Your questions needed for new BPL column
November 18, 7:16pm

Re: thread & patterns
Ummm, I've got to ask my favorite blunt question "What problem are we solving here?" re: Small quantities of hydrophobe thread 1) Sure, 6000yds is a life time supply for almost every MYOGer ...

In Make Your Own Gear » MYOG Materials
November 18, 6:56am

All Reader Reviews by Jim Colten

Showing 1 - 3 of 3 | Page: 1

Review

Category

TarpTent
My entry into the world of tarping was with Hernry's orginal squall. Later that year the Cloudburst was introduced. I contacted him about an idea of converting my squall to use an arched front p...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
December 30, 11:04am

Thru-Hiker.com
1) good products 2) friendly and useful help before ans after sale 3) great customer service I'd rate Thru-Hiker a 6 if that was an option

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
December 01, 8:10am

Minibull Designs Pocket Puck
Hector, I had similar experience .... but only the first time I lit it. Since then I've been giving the pocket puck about 15-30 seconds more warmup time and it has always stayed lit. There is a...

In Stoves - Alcohol
October 16, 6:04am