November 20, 2015 8:16 PM MST - Subscription purchasing, account maintenance, forum profile maintenance, new account registration, and forum posting have been disabled
as we prepare our databases for the final migration to our new server next week. Stay tuned here for more details.
Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

John Donewar (Newton) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Southeastern Louisiana
About Me Bitten by the hiking bug in 2008. The "infection" persists and I am not in search of cure. :-)
Reinfected by the MYOG bug in 2009 and I am still not in search of a cure. :-)
If I am not hiking I am reading about it or working on my gear.
Became a BPL Lifetime Member 5/1/11.

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by John Donewar

Showing 1641 - 1650 of 1770 | Page: 1 ...156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 ...177

Forum » Thread

Re: MYOG Bivy
Nicholas, Thank you for the kind words. Prior to November of last year I would have said the same thing about a project like this one. :-) I wanted lightweight gear and all the really good...

In Make Your Own Gear » MYOG Meteor Bivy
April 30, 4:18pm

Re: "Bivy Selection"
Nicholas, >>I'm not tall (5'10") but I'm pretty stout with broad shoulders and big chest (~200 lbs). Do I need to be considering the longer versions or custom widths in or...

In GEAR » Bivy Selection
April 30, 3:58pm

MYOG Meteor Bivy
I,ve been bitten badly by the MYOG bug. Yes I've been stung a few times by my own flawed designs or poorly executed projects. But this is a happier story of lessons learned from mistakes of t...

In Make Your Own Gear » MYOG Meteor Bivy
April 30, 1:57pm

Re: "HEET for stoves"
Edit to correct my original post. Party On ! 2010 Newton

In GEAR » HEET for stoves
April 30, 7:25am

Re: "MYOG Guyline Tensioners"
David, >>Is securing the guyline to the shock cord AND tie out intended as a back-up if the shock cord gets maxed out or fails?<< Yep! :-) I stretch out the guylines until the ...

In Make Your Own Gear » MYOG Guyline Tensioners
April 28, 3:55pm

Re: Pros and Cons
Colin, I bought the material to to construct the tubing style tensioners and decided against them. I see their advantage as being neater in appearance being offset by their bulkiness. I we...

In Make Your Own Gear » MYOG Guyline Tensioners
April 28, 1:30pm

Re: Everclear
Dont Wantto, 750 ml is equal to @ 25.4 oz. Mine came in the 1.75 liter container. So I started out with 59.2 oz. Prices for this size run around $32.00. At this price every ounce equals @ 54 ...

April 28, 12:09pm

Re: MYO Bivy
Mike, Noah Lamport, Inc. great prices but you have to call Quest Outfitters great service, reasonable prices, many choices Party On ! 2010 Newton

In Make Your Own Gear » MYO Bivy
April 28, 10:48am

Re: Re: Red or yellow bottle?
Good Hikers, >>But the yellow is probably more toxic, so I try to avoid breathing the vapors or getting it on my skin, as much as possible.<< >>Use the yellow bottle. Its co...

April 27, 9:00pm

Re: Re: Where to start?
Aaron, I forgot about the bag/quilt. I just finished a MYOG quilt similar to the Prodigy on Tims website. Tim also has a quilt weight calculator/spreadsheet that is very helpful in estimating ...

In Make Your Own Gear » Where to start?
April 27, 3:10pm

All Reader Reviews by John Donewar

Showing 1 - 2 of 2 | Page: 1

Under Armour Men's UA Escape 7" Solid Shorts
Here are the particulars. Ultra-lightweight woven fabric. Mesh internal liner. 360° Reflectivity Hand pockets for your essentials. 7” inseam 2.2 oz. Polyester Men'...</td>          
           <td class=

In Clothing - Baselayer & Fleece - SYNTHETIC
September 29, 10:56am

Scope Outlast
This is a first for me as I have never posted a gear review before. The Scope Outlast Minibrush probably isn't really even considered as hiking gear. Scope Outlast Minibrush

In Backpacks - External Frame
August 13, 12:14pm