Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Rick Dreher (halfturbo) - BPL Professional Member

My Locale Northernish California
About Me There once was a hiker from Nantucket....

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Rick Dreher

Showing 1631 - 1640 of 1656 | Page: 1 ...147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166

Forum » Thread

Nescafe Espresso
Is this the stuff? http://shop.store.yahoo.com/dcimports/nesesin25bag.html

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » Camp Coffee
April 07, 11:34am

re. Grey market
Hi Paul, I should have said that I agree with your previous post that these are grey market watches, I just don't have any idea where they're coming from--perhaps China or some country where the...

In GEAR » Suunto X6 vs. Vector
April 06, 12:46pm

Good summary
I've settled on using the Mugmate myself, but am still up for new options. Has anyone tried liquid coffee concentrate, either home-brewed or store-bought?

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » Camp Coffee
April 06, 12:04pm

Counterfeits/knock-offs
This has become a big problem for certain watches and watch brands, but I wouldn't be terribly concerned about a unique and tech-y watch like the T-Touch. It would take a LOT of reverse engineering...

In GEAR » Suunto X6 vs. Vector
April 05, 3:36pm

PET plastic
I can't find any examples of PET plastic containers being used for packaging petroleum products, so I'd guess they're not compatible. Portable gasoline cans seem to be made of HDPE, maybe look for ...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » White Gas vs. Plastic.... who will win?
March 27, 12:12pm

Initial Impressions/Sample Variation REI Peak UL CF Trekking Poles
I decided to "invest" my REI dividend on a pair of their house-branded Komperdell C3 poles. The light weight sold me immediately--they're 6.6 oz lighter than my Leki Ti PA/AS/Coretek poles, which I...

In GEAR » Initial Impressions/Sample Variation REI Peak UL CF Trekking Poles
March 26, 12:25pm

"It's a feature"
So *you're* the one. Glad to hear you were able to exchange it easily, Brett. I hope the customer service folks behaved themselves in that dark room ;-) Enjoy your Eos!

In GEAR » Problem with Princeton Tec EOS LED Headlamp
March 12, 10:36am

That Eos Glow
After reading your post I checked the Eos (the one tested for our review) to see whether it had the same problem--it doesn't. I'll guess yours is defective and should be exchanged. As a side not...

In GEAR » Problem with Princeton Tec EOS LED Headlamp
March 10, 11:22am

Chilly GPS
That's an interesting and useful observation, Norman. I'd imagine one could cobble together a remote battery pack and keep the GPS on the outside (I like clipping mine to my shoulder stap). This is...

In Editor's Roundtable » Ultralight GPS / Mapping Software Navigation Systems
March 08, 6:07pm

Sierra storms
Ken's description seems spot-on with my experience. It's relatively rare to get summer/early-fall storms on the west side, and when they do happen it's almost always because weather has pushed over...

In GEAR » Polarshield lightweight or Dryskin extreme?
March 04, 2:48pm

All Reader Reviews by Rick Dreher

Showing 1 - 7 of 7 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Mountain Gear
I've placed a few orders with Mountain Gear, going as far back as when they were based in Idaho, and they've responded flawlessly each time. I admire the breadth and high quality of their sele...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
December 15, 2:03pm

Backcountrygear.com
I have to put in a plug for these folks, with whom I've shopped on line and over the phone, and who also have a store in soggy Eugene, Oregon. They have a great backpacking and climbing selection f...

November 20, 6:47pm

Recreational Equipment, Inc. (REI)
As another Seattle kid who loved few things more than pilgrammages to the Capitol Hill store, I still associate the smell of cresote with hiking gear. It's hard to imagine backpacking without REI. ...

November 20, 6:22pm

Patagonia Micro Puff Pullover
I upgraded to the Micro Puff pullover after several seasons with the old Puffball pullover. Lighter, warmer, stuffs smaller--the Micro Puff is an all-around improvement to what was already a fine garm...

In Clothing - Insulating - Synthetic (Polarguard, Primaloft, etc.)
November 12, 12:53pm

MSR Titan Kettle
Noting the shape isn't the most efficient for squeezing every btu from the stove, the MSR kettle remains a very good single-pot option. It packs nicely, works well with small to medium stoves, pours w...

In Cookware - Titanium
January 15, 12:17pm

MSR SimmerLite
I find the Whisperlite to be MSR's easiest liquid stove to use, and certainly the nicest to lug, bulk and weight-wise. Simmering performance is best with a light touch on the fuel pump--try using l...

In Stoves - White Gas
December 20, 11:46am

Golite Hex 3
I've used a Hex 2, the 3's somewhat smaller brother, with good success for a few seasons. The quarters are a little snug for six-footers, but it's a minor concern. My main complaint is that the ventil...

In Shelters - Tarps & Floorless
November 28, 8:43pm