BPL Community Profile

John Donewar (Newton) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Southeastern Louisiana
About Me Bitten by the hiking bug in 2008. The "infection" persists and I am not in search of cure. :-)
Reinfected by the MYOG bug in 2009 and I am still not in search of a cure. :-)
If I am not hiking I am reading about it or working on my gear.
Became a BPL Lifetime Member 5/1/11.
CityGretna
StateLouisiana
CountryU.S.A.

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by John Donewar

Showing 1631 - 1640 of 1768 | Page: 1 ...155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 ...177

Forum » Thread

Re: Really? Well maybe if point to pointing.
Jeffrey, Resupplying in trail towns is the reason that I carry a credit card, ID and cash. Lack of cell phone service is the reason I carry a phone card to use at these trail towns if I need to...

In GEAR » car keys
May 05, 9:50am

Re: Packing Tent Stakes.
Jeffrey, 12 titanium shepherd's hook stakes in a small mesh/net bag with a drawcord and a tiny cordlock. This gets packed vertically inbetween the overlapping layers of my Ridgerest short...

In GEAR » Packing Tent Stakes.
May 04, 9:11pm

Re: link broken?
Timo, Sorry about the broken link to BPL. Try this link to the same web page. http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/make_your_own_gear_five_yards_to_sul_part_4.html Par...

In Make Your Own Gear » MYOG pack. How to attach shoulder straps?
May 04, 3:27pm

Re: About straps
Sorry! Deleted accidental double post. :-P Party On ! 2010 Newton

May 04, 2:27pm

Re: About straps
Timo, Check out Jay Ham's article on sewing a SUL pack. https://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/process Click on the link below and click on number 3., LAB 2300 cu. i...

May 04, 2:25pm

Re: Re:MYOG Meteor Bivy
Thanks George. This is what it replaced. :-) Nuff said. :-) What material is the yellow top section of your Meteor? That is an interesting tarp pitch in your picture. Is that a fla...

In Make Your Own Gear » MYOG Meteor Bivy
May 02, 8:18pm

Re: Failed seam seal
Dan, >>After applying about 2 feet on one seam, I noticed the solution had hardened and turned into a blob<< I was able to seam seal my entire tarp using GE Silicone II and Klean-...

In Philosophy & Technique » Failed seam seal
May 01, 6:52am

Re: Re: MYOG Meteor Bivy
Todd, Thank you for the attaboy. :-) My bivy goes out on the AT with me in one month. I hope you are right about the protection. ;-) Party On ! 2010 Newton

April 30, 4:23pm

Re: MYOG Bivy
Nicholas, Thank you for the kind words. Prior to November of last year I would have said the same thing about a project like this one. :-) I wanted lightweight gear and all the really good...

April 30, 4:18pm

Re: "Bivy Selection"
Nicholas, >>I'm not tall (5'10") but I'm pretty stout with broad shoulders and big chest (~200 lbs). Do I need to be considering the longer versions or custom widths in or...

In GEAR » Bivy Selection
April 30, 3:58pm

All Reader Reviews by John Donewar

Showing 1 - 2 of 2 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Under Armour Men's UA Escape 7" Solid Shorts
Here are the particulars. Ultra-lightweight woven fabric. Mesh internal liner. 360° Reflectivity Hand pockets for your essentials. 7” inseam 2.2 oz. Polyester Men'...</td>          
           <td class=

In Clothing - Baselayer & Fleece - SYNTHETIC
September 29, 10:56am

Scope Outlast
This is a first for me as I have never posted a gear review before. The Scope Outlast Minibrush probably isn't really even considered as hiking gear. Scope Outlast Minibrush

In Backpacks - External Frame
August 13, 12:14pm