BPL Community Profile

Rick Dreher (halfturbo) - BPL Professional Member

My Locale Northernish California
About Me There once was a hiker from Nantucket....

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Rick Dreher

Showing 1621 - 1630 of 1656 | Page: 1 ...147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166

Forum » Thread

Re: Make A Canister Cozy
Nicely done Bill! Can you fill me in on why the canister cozy? Is it for transportation or...?

In Make Your Own Gear » Make A Canister Cozy
August 25, 2:58pm

Re: The Most You've Paid?
Cameras don't count, right? Whew! It's got to be my WM Dakota Dryloft bag with overfill. I conveniently can't recall the toll, but today it's $560 w/o the overkill, er, overfill. This thread ...

In GEAR » The Most You've Paid?
August 19, 6:27pm

To toss, or not to toss
I can't directly compare my photography experience because virtually all my cameras use disposables, and that's that. However, with my GPS and headlamps I use NiMH batteries unless I'm taking multi...

In Photography » Ethics of Disposable Batteries in Cameras
August 18, 4:06pm

Greens to go
A while ago--I'm talking twenty years or so--one could buy backpacker sprout kits or DIY, based on articles floating around at the time. IIRC it required blotter paper of some sort, zip-type baggie...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » Growing Food on the Trail?
August 14, 9:43pm

Re: Superfeet Blue or Green?
I've only used the greens, and do like them a good deal because they help stabilize my trail shoes compared to the floppy foam things that come with them. I suspect which Superfeet model to choo...

In GEAR » Superfeet Blue or Green?
August 08, 3:31pm

Re: Hard to get
Wow, the GR21 would be worth chasing down for that lens! I'm very happy with my Contax T3, and if someone wanted a wider lens than its 35, the T2 could fit the bill. Rollei and Minox are also wo...

In Photography » Ultimate mountain camera: Ricoh GR1v
June 30, 10:03am

Lightweight compass
I like this little guy, the Brunton Nexus 26DNL: http://www.egeology.com/26dnl.html I think it was once called the Silva Hunter. The only shortcoming I see is that it has a declination scale...

In GEAR » Need a good ultralite compass
June 04, 10:27pm

Cyst Deactivation
From what I've read (and I'm no expert!) deactivating cysts is a challenge to all chemical treatments, especially in cold, turbid water. The treatments have to be rated based on worst-case scenario...

In GEAR » Best Potable Water
April 11, 2:46pm

Bugs
Hepatitis is probably my biggest fear: while admittedly it's very uncommon, the consequences can be dire, as your account bears out. Lucky indeed is the hiker who's not had a drink from water th...

April 10, 1:44pm

Miox/AM/filter
Strictly from an aesthetic standpoint, a filter generally yields better tasting water because it's removing, not adding anything. If it has a carbon component, it can remove certain organics and im...

April 09, 11:59am

All Reader Reviews by Rick Dreher

Showing 1 - 7 of 7 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Mountain Gear
I've placed a few orders with Mountain Gear, going as far back as when they were based in Idaho, and they've responded flawlessly each time. I admire the breadth and high quality of their sele...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
December 15, 2:03pm

Backcountrygear.com
I have to put in a plug for these folks, with whom I've shopped on line and over the phone, and who also have a store in soggy Eugene, Oregon. They have a great backpacking and climbing selection f...

November 20, 6:47pm

Recreational Equipment, Inc. (REI)
As another Seattle kid who loved few things more than pilgrammages to the Capitol Hill store, I still associate the smell of cresote with hiking gear. It's hard to imagine backpacking without REI. ...

November 20, 6:22pm

Patagonia Micro Puff Pullover
I upgraded to the Micro Puff pullover after several seasons with the old Puffball pullover. Lighter, warmer, stuffs smaller--the Micro Puff is an all-around improvement to what was already a fine garm...

In Clothing - Insulating - Synthetic (Polarguard, Primaloft, etc.)
November 12, 12:53pm

MSR Titan Kettle
Noting the shape isn't the most efficient for squeezing every btu from the stove, the MSR kettle remains a very good single-pot option. It packs nicely, works well with small to medium stoves, pours w...

In Cookware - Titanium
January 15, 12:17pm

MSR SimmerLite
I find the Whisperlite to be MSR's easiest liquid stove to use, and certainly the nicest to lug, bulk and weight-wise. Simmering performance is best with a light touch on the fuel pump--try using l...

In Stoves - White Gas
December 20, 11:46am

Golite Hex 3
I've used a Hex 2, the 3's somewhat smaller brother, with good success for a few seasons. The quarters are a little snug for six-footers, but it's a minor concern. My main complaint is that the ventil...

In Shelters - Tarps & Floorless
November 28, 8:43pm