Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Rick Dreher (halfturbo) - BPL Professional Member

My Locale Northernish California
About Me There once was a hiker from Nantucket....

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Rick Dreher

Showing 1601 - 1610 of 1656 | Page: 1 ...147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166

Forum » Thread

New Water Treatment
Looks dark. Does it involve chocolate?!?

In GEAR » New Water Treatment Product
October 29, 3:48pm

Re: Ascending on a recumbent
Hi Paul, I'm a hopeless conventional bike guy who's only fiddled with recumbents, so can't further the comparison too much. I can add a bit on pedaling, though. Because the foot is locked to...

In Other Activities » BICYCLE TOURING
October 29, 3:42pm

Re: cougars vs pepper spray?
I usually bring my pet wolverine, figuring either the kitty will leave us alone or I'll have a great video to sell. But seriously, all the mountain lion attacks I know of have been on people on ...

In GEAR » Cougar Perimeter Fence or other ideas
October 28, 3:13pm

Re: Ultra-light Tights
Before they came up with dude-specific versions, NFL players would wear panty hose with the feet cut out, although it's hard to imagine a lineman named Bubba ever fitting in a pair. Certainly no re...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Anyone use leg/arm warmers?
October 11, 1:37pm

Re: canisters
Have you checked the condition of your o-ring? That's the only thing I can think of, other than small variations in the recepticle that occur from stove to stove. Even if it's in good condition, ch...

In GEAR » Canister Fuel Dimensions
October 11, 10:06am

Re: Batteries in back/batteries in front
Thanks Paul, for your comments and pushing the experimental envelope :-) Would you say the Solo's batteries are too isolated to perform any heatsink duties, or benefit from lamp heating? (Compared ...

In GEAR » Black Diamond Zenix IQ vs. Princeton Tec Yukon HL
October 05, 11:19am

Batteries in back/batteries in front
I've come to feel that so long as the headlamp's lightweight and the overall form is compact, then there's little compelling reason to separate out the battery pack, other than for use in bitter co...

October 05, 10:34am

Re: Canister Fuel Dimensions
I've never found any smaller than the Snowpeak 110 gram canister, although IIRC the Jetboil canister looked very similar in the store, if a dollar more expensive. 3 1/2 inches wide, 2 1/4 inche...

In GEAR » Canister Fuel Dimensions
October 03, 8:22pm

Re: sewing with spinnaker
Don't overlook the GoLite Hex as a template. It's proven in windy conditions. IMHO the neatest teepee designs ever were the Moss Superflys. Very strong, but so dramatically curved they impinged ...

In Make Your Own Gear » sewing with spinnaker
October 02, 8:04pm

Re: Black Diamond Zenix IQ vs. Princeton Tec Yukon HL
Hi Bob, I've unfortunately not had a look at the HL but did spend a good deal of time testing the IQ. It appears that the HL isn't regulated. Although the Princeton Tec Website is silent on ...

October 02, 11:32am

All Reader Reviews by Rick Dreher

Showing 1 - 7 of 7 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Mountain Gear
I've placed a few orders with Mountain Gear, going as far back as when they were based in Idaho, and they've responded flawlessly each time. I admire the breadth and high quality of their sele...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
December 15, 2:03pm

Backcountrygear.com
I have to put in a plug for these folks, with whom I've shopped on line and over the phone, and who also have a store in soggy Eugene, Oregon. They have a great backpacking and climbing selection f...

November 20, 6:47pm

Recreational Equipment, Inc. (REI)
As another Seattle kid who loved few things more than pilgrammages to the Capitol Hill store, I still associate the smell of cresote with hiking gear. It's hard to imagine backpacking without REI. ...

November 20, 6:22pm

Patagonia Micro Puff Pullover
I upgraded to the Micro Puff pullover after several seasons with the old Puffball pullover. Lighter, warmer, stuffs smaller--the Micro Puff is an all-around improvement to what was already a fine garm...

In Clothing - Insulating - Synthetic (Polarguard, Primaloft, etc.)
November 12, 12:53pm

MSR Titan Kettle
Noting the shape isn't the most efficient for squeezing every btu from the stove, the MSR kettle remains a very good single-pot option. It packs nicely, works well with small to medium stoves, pours w...

In Cookware - Titanium
January 15, 12:17pm

MSR SimmerLite
I find the Whisperlite to be MSR's easiest liquid stove to use, and certainly the nicest to lug, bulk and weight-wise. Simmering performance is best with a light touch on the fuel pump--try using l...

In Stoves - White Gas
December 20, 11:46am

Golite Hex 3
I've used a Hex 2, the 3's somewhat smaller brother, with good success for a few seasons. The quarters are a little snug for six-footers, but it's a minor concern. My main complaint is that the ventil...

In Shelters - Tarps & Floorless
November 28, 8:43pm