BPL Community Profile

George Matthews (gmatthews) - BPL Professional Member

My Locale George Matthews hasn't told us about their geographical region yet.
About Me George Matthews has not added a biography yet.

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by George Matthews

Showing 1601 - 1610 of 1731 | Page: 1 ...152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 ...174

Forum » Thread

Brave souls!
You're two brave souls! Excellent pre-trip ad. I am gladly hooked.

In Editor's Roundtable » EXPEDITION: Journey on the Wild Coast (Erin McKittrick and Bretwood Higman)
June 06, 10:27am

Loop reports are great
Really awesome coverage of Andrew's journey. It's nice having both the audio and visual.

In Editor's Roundtable » The Great Western Loop
June 06, 10:20am

knifeless and still alive
After reading this thought provoking article, I decided to take a razor blade and skip the knife on my last trip. I forgot the razor. Did not realize until after I returned and saw it just setting ...

In Editor's Roundtable » Ultralight Knives and Other Sharp Things
June 04, 8:58pm

Re: Re: joy vs doubt
Hi Ben You're right for Wall St, greed and fear seem to be the drivers of our decisions. However, for backpacking, maybe joy versus doubt would be less corny terms than my earlier suggestion...

In GEAR » average trad.pack:5.6lb/71liters
June 01, 7:29am

Love vs fear
Japanese, North Americans, and all other humans fundamentally have two emotions: love and fear. All the other emotions have either one of them at its roots. You can think of them like postive and n...

In GEAR » average trad.pack:5.6lb/71liters
May 31, 8:05pm

What does ESBIT mean?
Don't know if I'm the only one who did not know why we call it Esbit... Erich Schumm Brennstoff In Tabletten Translated in English: "Erich Schumm fuel in tablets" He inve...

In Chaff » What does ESBIT mean?
May 31, 7:28pm

Re: Re: Re: Re: Packing a No Sniveller quilt
I ended up stuffing the No Sniveller quilt into a BLP pack liner (size small), 1 oz. Packed/mashed it in the bottom of pack. Will used the JRB compression sack when I need space. Probably on my...

In GEAR » Packing a No Sniveller quilt
May 27, 8:30pm

re Repel Lemon Eucalyptus
I don't like the very strong smell of it. I would not call it a "pleasant smell". More like the aroma of sloth flatulence. The directions caution you to use it only twice per day,...

In GEAR » DEET concentration effectiveness?
May 27, 8:15pm

The new smell is gone
With a total pack weight of 14 lbs, the Inov 8 Terroc 330 shoes did well. They felt very light. I believe this gave me a psychological boost. The soles were sufficient to absorb rocks and roots, a...

In GEAR » looking for good, light trailrunners
May 27, 7:32pm

Eucalyptus
Repel Lemon Eucalyptus - this weekend I will also try it based on your recommendation I have Eucalyptus extract and Lemon juice. I wonder if we could find the right mix and make our own.

In GEAR » DEET concentration effectiveness?
May 17, 6:22pm

All Reader Reviews by George Matthews

Showing 1 - 10 of 52 | Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6

Review

Category

Backpacking Light Thorofare Trekking Pant
Backpacking Light Thorofare Trekking Pant Size L (my scale 4.1 oz) I'm 5'11" and 185 lb Very comfortable fit for me. Snaps on pant bottom (two settings gives flexibility) The p...

In Clothing - Baselayer & Fleece - SYNTHETIC
December 30, 4:28pm

Rocky Rocky GTX Socks
I use trailrunners (Inov8 Terrocs) and bought the Rocky GTX socks for cold, really messy weather. I gave them a few good tests this fall. I wore them over Smartwool socks (medium thickness). Fortun...

In Footwear - Boots, Shoes, Gaiters
December 30, 3:46pm

White Box Alcohol Stove
Got one in July for when I want to use alcohol stove for 2 - 3 hikers. Bought the combo from BPL Shop. T...

In Stoves - Alcohol
December 28, 12:21pm

Trail Designs Caldera Stove
Really nice system. All you need is the Mug. I usually boil 1.5 cups of water using about 3/4 oz (12 drams) or a bit less of denatured alcohol depending on the water's coldness. A secondary ben...

In Stoves - Alcohol
December 21, 1:14pm

Mountain Laurel Designs MLD 2Thirds XP Quilt
Per MLD: Shell Fabric: Momentum Mini Ripstop (Aegean Blue) Lining Fabric: Momentum Taffeta (Black) Insulation: ClimaShield XP 2.5oz/sq/yd 8.9 oz ClimaShield XP 2.5oz/sq/yd Top Width 43”, ...

In Sleeping Bags - Quilts & Top Bags
December 20, 4:36pm

Frogg Toggs Rain Suit
I know these have been around for a while, but I was itching to get something with the Print-Issue-RIP coupon. I tried them during a good rain on a cool day. They are comfy and kept me dry. Howe...

In Clothing - Raingear
December 20, 4:05pm

Backpacking Light Merino UL Pants
The pants are light and comfortable. I like to wear them under running shorts. I plan to integrate them into my clothing system for cool through cold weather. They were also nice under Precip pants...

In Clothing - Baselayer & Fleece - WOOL
December 20, 3:59pm

FireLite Trapper's Mug
FireLite 475ml Titanium Trapper's Mug Trapper's Mug Absolute simplicity! ...

In Cookware - Titanium
December 20, 2:50pm

BPL Beartooth Merino Wool Hoody
The Backpacking Light Beartooth Merino Wool Hoody The need for a single, functional, highly versatile garment that minimized layering changes during the Arctic 1000 expedition inspired Ryan Jordan ...

In Clothing - Baselayer & Fleece - WOOL
December 06, 1:52pm

Liqumins Electrolyte Stamina Power Pak OrangeBlast
I picked up a box of Liqumins Electrolyte Stamina Power Pak (Orange Blast) at Vitamin Shoppe. The product claims: "feel the difference or your money back". I thought, why not try it. Typi...

In Foods - Energy Bars, Gels, and Drinks
June 11, 6:14am