BPL Community Profile

Bob Bankhead (wandering_bob) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Oregon, USA
About Me Bob Bankhead has not added a biography yet.
CityLake Oswego
StateOR
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Bob Bankhead

Showing 161 - 170 of 1288 | Page: 1 ...8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ...129

Forum » Thread

10 Reasons why you should never spend time in the backcountry
You will have to actually walk up and down each elevation change due to the total lack of escalators in the wilderness. The few elevators that do exist have been shut down due to federal budget cut...

In Philosophy & Technique » 10 Reasons why you should never spend time in the backcountry
April 02, 9:21pm

Boise area: Visit or Reside?
Look up any state you want at https://www.retirementliving.com/taxes-by-state Scroll down to the state of interest. @Marc: Most states allow add-ons by lower level governing bodies; Th...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Boise area: Visit or Reside?
March 27, 7:09pm

Boise area: Visit or Reside?
This chart may help you decide which state makes the most sense for relocation. At your age, the job prospects trump long term issues like estate and inheritance taxes. MT and OR do not have...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Boise area: Visit or Reside?
March 27, 10:15am

CT Gear List
+1 Andrew on the rain/wind pants. Rain at altitude is often very cold. Even after it stops, the brush is dripping. Your pants will be soaked within a few dozen yards, then it wicks upward. I take o...

In Gear Lists » Colorado Trail Summer 2013 Gear LIst
March 23, 3:29pm

CT Gear List
From my CT experience, it is often very windy for extended periods. Mornings can be cold, often well below freezing, even in August. July and August are the Monsoon season - expect rain (often heav...

In Gear Lists » Colorado Trail Summer 2013 Gear LIst
March 22, 9:24am

"New" portion of Colorado Trail
Tim: You can download them for free directly from Bearcreek Survey at http://www.bearcreeksurvey.com/Reroutes.htm

In Pre-Trip Planning » "New" portion of Colorado Trail
March 08, 9:29am

I used the latest Bearcreek GPS waypoint files to make an elevation plot of the entire loop, starting from Twin Lakes and going south towards Monarch Pass. The Collegiate West (CDT) is in black; th...

March 07, 3:08pm

It's been on most of the CDT and CT forums. Bearcreek Surveying recently issued a revised CT Mapbook and a smaller set of supplemental maps of the Collegiate Loop for folks like me who alrea...

March 06, 8:11pm

Seattle Backpackers Magazine Contact Info
From their website's Contact Comments, Gear Reviews, Advertising or anything at all………..Give us about 10 minutes to get back to you. info@seattlebackpackersmagazine.com Or...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » How safe is your food? Investigating the effectiveness of odor-proof bags
February 27, 8:07pm

Trail Groove Contact Info
From their website's Contact Us: email us at Info@TrailGroove.com Mailing Address: TrailGroove Magazine PO Box 1064 Lander, WY 82520 Aaron & Jen: Founders Aaron...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » How safe is your food? Investigating the effectiveness of odor-proof bags
February 27, 8:05pm

All Reader Reviews by Bob Bankhead

Showing 1 - 10 of 17 | Page: 1 2

Review

Category

Western Mountaineering The Company
WM products are a 5+ WM the company does not sell direct, only through dealers, ergo end-user contacts would not be expected. Their printed catalogues do list their address and FAX and telephone nu...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
October 24, 3:33pm

Mountain House Lasagna with Meat Sauce
I use a lot of Mountain House Pro Packs and as much as I like the flavor and texture of this item, I avoid it like the plague. The overwhelming downside is the cheese they use. It does NOT rehydra...

In Foods - Prepackaged Meals & Side Dishes
October 05, 5:17pm

Mountain House Sweet and Sour Pork with Rice
One of my favorite Mountain House meals, albeit a tad too sweet for my taste; too much pineapple, not enough sour sauce. Nonetheless, it makes a great motivator to get to a dinner spot when I know one...

October 03, 6:26pm

Mountain House Precooked Scrambled Eggs with Bacon
I tried these several years ago when they first came out - no bacon in them then. They were horrible! Like a previous reviewer said, virtually flavorless yellow sponges. Last year I noticed they ha...

October 03, 6:21pm

Gossamer Gear Lightrek 4 Adjustable CF Trekking Poles
I decided not to buy these when they first came out because fully closed they were too long to carry on my pack in checked baggage on the plane, and I really didn't want to hassel with the maili...

In Trekking Poles
September 24, 11:15pm

Six Moon Designs Gatewood Cape
I just returned from 22 nights in the high Sierra on the PCT and JMT. I had two days of constant high winds in Onion Valley, with sustained gusts to at least 50 mph. My trusty Gatewood Cape flapped a ...

In Shelters - Tarps & Floorless
August 24, 9:23am

Six Moon Designs Traveler backpack
We have TWO Traveler packs. Early in 2008, we were shopping for a new pack for my wife, who has a short 14-1/2 inch torso length. We drove out to Ron's house to try the SMD Essence, but it did not...

In Backpacks - Frameless
April 06, 10:35am

Sea to Summit Ultra-Sil Dry Sack
In addition to silnylon, Sea to Summit also now makes their Dry Sack line in eVENT fabric, both with and without compression capability. evac Dry Sack: available in 3, 5, 8, 13, 20, 35, and 65 lite...

In Miscellaneous Products
May 21, 9:08pm

Therm-A-Rest Ridgerest
This has been my "go-to" sleeping pad for many years on the PCT. I've tried a variety of others but keep returning to this little beauty. It does a great job of insulating one from th...

In Sleeping Pads - Foam
May 17, 8:26am

Aloksak O.P 12.5 x 20"
I have found them to be quite effective in the Sierras the past two summers. I have a Bearikade Expedition, and if you're not careful, the metal edges around the latches can slice an OP sak wh...

In Miscellaneous Products
August 21, 10:07pm