BPL Community Profile

Vick Hines (vickrhines) - BPL Forum Member

My Locale Central Texas
About Me 2X AT thruhiker
Author of How to Make Your Own Lightweight Camping and Hiking Gear
Builder of solo canoes
Compulsive builder of yondering gear of all kinds.
CityAustin
StateTexas
CountryUnited States

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Vick Hines

Showing 161 - 170 of 1034 | Page: 1 ...8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ...104

Forum » Thread

Re: Re ; Wlaking is like sex.......
ankle sprain: Well, I suppose if one insists on quiet sex, then ankle sprain is not an issue.

In Chaff » Walking is like sex...
December 03, 2:36pm

Re: Need help with a MYOG quilt
There are lots of good designs and instructions on the web. Just Google "make your own backpacking quilt". Here's an example. http://www.backpacking.net/makegear/make-quilt/index.htm...

In Make Your Own Gear » Need help with a MYOG quilt
November 09, 6:19pm

Re: bandanna/packtowel-whats best?"
Ken, I'm with you. I have a drawer full of pack towels that get used on canoe trips, but on long backpacking trips, I always end up using a bandana. They dry faster and do as much drying as a ...

In Multiple Use Gear » bandanna/packtowel-whats best?
November 05, 1:33pm

Re: Re: Black Plastic Snap Source?
Forget JoAnn's. they have only sew-on plastic snaps and they are not very good. Their post-snaps are not particularly durable either.

In Make Your Own Gear » Black Plastic Snap Source?
November 05, 1:23pm

Re: jerky storage
I agree with Laurie: freeze it. But wrap it thoroughly to prevent freezer burn and frost build-up. A new jerky idea, at least for me: lean barbeque. Wow- tender jerky!!?! If you are lucky enou...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » Damn good jerky recipe
October 30, 8:35pm

Re: Separated from pack
Yeah, Roman, if your pack doesn't float, it's pretty dense. I've done a lot of river trips. Tumps are common. I don't secure gear in the boat, but instead, let it float away. It'...

In Philosophy & Technique » If you were seperated from your pack...
October 30, 8:26pm

Re: If you were seperated from your pack...
The first answer is, if your pack is UL, why would you ever be separated from it? About the only time would be if you wandered away from camp and darkness fell or you got disoriented. So, I a...

In Philosophy & Technique » If you were seperated from your pack...
October 30, 8:15pm

Re: Coffee can as a cooking pot
The trouble with the coffee can as a pot is that its seams and cannelures can (and will) harbor bacteria that cause alimentary distress. And you can't count on cooking heat to take care of the ...

In Make Your Own Gear » Coffee can as a cooking pot
October 22, 6:39pm

Re: Anybody ever used "yardage" from Driducks poncho for any projects?
I've had good luck with Barge's cement and also with duct tape. Tyvek tape might work as well as duct tape and would be lighter. Why not run a test and tell us how it goes? I have used...

In Make Your Own Gear » Anybody ever used "yardage" from Driducks poncho for any projects?
October 22, 6:29pm

Re: Re: Multi Climate Sleeping Bags
Mark, Yeah, I agree 100%. And you can match properly shaped quilts as well as s-bags. A 3-season quilt with a summer quilt makes a winter quilt that would weigh something like 8-12 ounces more tha...

In GEAR » Multi Climate Sleeping Bags
October 19, 7:20pm

All Reader Reviews by Vick Hines

Showing 1 - 2 of 2 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Nike Free Trail 5.0
Summary: A light moccasin with a good sole and no heel counter. The shoe encourages full use of foot and ankle, improves balance and control, and strengthens the foot and ankle. The low profile sole r...

In Footwear - Boots, Shoes, Gaiters
May 12, 4:17pm

Golite Trail Fly and Tail Spike
Two pairs of Golite shoes self-destructed within 70 miles on the AT. The first pair (Trail Fly) failed after 66 miles. The fake ripstop fabric over the toe section cracked with repeated flexing (an...

In Footwear - Boots, Shoes, Gaiters
May 08, 8:16pm