Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Tom Lyons (towaly) - BPL Forum Member

My Locale Smoky Mtns.
About Me Likes the outdoors.
StateTN
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Tom Lyons

Showing 161 - 170 of 299 | Page: 1 ...8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ...30

Forum » Thread

Re: What I'm trying to get at...
If you are essentially stating that there is a risk of giardiasis when drinking from unknown water sources that aren't purified, then yes, I think you are accurate and could be defended. The...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Giardia: Let's Talk SCIENCE
September 13, 12:53pm

Re: Re: Re: klymit
David, Yes, all true, and all good points. My point is that even if we knew every detail, virtually none of us here would buy it. It's not targeted at us. We want sub-32 ounce 20-degree b...

In GEAR » ULA Sleeping bag
September 13, 12:30pm

I automatically treat.
Any time I am drinking unknown water, I treat it. My typical method is chlorine bleach, time, and an activated carbon filter to get most of the chlorine out before I drink it. It doesn't ta...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Giardia: Let's Talk SCIENCE
September 13, 11:51am

Re: klymit
Yes, I agree. However, there are numerous bags from other large manufacturers which are just as expensive and even heavier than this ULA/Klymit bag. That's why I'm saying that they ar...

September 13, 11:34am

It's also been listed as 550 by Klymit and by reporters from the various shows where it was shown at. I think it really is 550. There's only 2 reasons that I can think of for the 550. ...

September 13, 11:02am

You can do it..
It requires a little bit of practice with your technique. The VBL needs to go over your base layer. This creates your "micro-climate" where the baselayer holds the moisture inside the VB...

In GEAR » Summer bag + VBL for 3 seasons
September 13, 10:43am

Wouldn't hurt
It wouldn't hurt to use a space mylar sheet under your NeoAir. And the popular method to add warmth for NeoAir winter use is to put a thin CCF pad on top, such as the Lawson 1/8" pad or...

In GEAR » Neoair Trekker plus mylar/space blanket
September 13, 10:37am

Thanks for your experiences and comments
To sum up: I think that the human is supposed to be the intelligent factor in all of this, and it is the human's job to control the environment so that dangerous events are circumvented by app...

In Philosophy & Technique » Is this just bad luck with aggressive dogs or is this normal?
September 13, 10:01am

Re: Wow wow wow! Hyalite.
I don't know about the accuracy of that r-value, one way or the other. I just don't have any experience with it, nor have I heard anybody reporting about it. But it sure does look like ...

In GEAR » Another attempt to standardize r-values of sleeping pads
September 12, 6:44pm

re
Well, in the old POE line-up, the women's was rated higher, so I thought it was still that way. With the women's being smaller and a little heavier, that leads me to believe that they still...

In GEAR » Another attempt to standardize r-values of sleeping pads
September 12, 6:36pm

All Reader Reviews by Tom Lyons

Tom Lyons has posted no reviews.