BPL Community Profile

Michael Ray (topshot) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Midwest
About Me Middle-aged father who got into backpacking late (2009) and wants to encourage his 16 and 7 year old sons to backpack lightweight. Video trip reports of all the adventures so far are on my YT site below.
StateIndiana
My Website URLhttp://www.youtube.com/user/topshotrhit
My PDF Gear ListMaroon Bells - August 2011

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Michael Ray

Showing 161 - 170 of 1011 | Page: 1 ...8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ...102

Forum » Thread

Re: Weight of Solo Tarp with Vesibules
Nice job, David. I'd be interested on hearing more details on the door attachments and how you deal with varying pitch widths.

In Make Your Own Gear » Polycro Tarp Tested!
January 25, 6:12am

Re: scrubpad
If you do cook in the pot sometimes you can keep it (or use sandy dirt), but you only need just a small piece.

In Gear Lists » Midwest Gear List - Spring / Summer 2012
January 24, 1:41pm

Re: group water pot
For a canister stove, it's more efficient for sure to boil one large pot. The Imusa is a good inexpensive choice, but may not be enough for 4 people or even 3 if drinks are also involved so you...

January 24, 12:36pm

New Sawyer squeeze bags for 2013
They have apparently changed the bags for 2013. I didn't know there was such a problem until I read John's blog.

In Gear Lists » Am I missing anything?
January 24, 9:53am

Re: Midwest Gear List - Spring / Summer 2012
That's a huge pot for one person. Why not go with a Super Cat stove and beer can pot for essentially no cost? Though I guess you cook in the pot since you list a scrub pad. Do you really eat...

January 24, 8:23am

Re: Am I missing anything?
What location and season? > I think we need some sort of water filtration system Maybe you added this since you posted but you have a Sawyer Squeeze listed, which is a highly regarded filt...

In Gear Lists » Am I missing anything?
January 24, 7:21am

Re: cold extremities
> You already use a downmat but that would have been my first suggestion. I was stunned how big a difference going from a Prolite to a DAM made. Maybe you need a thicker one with > R-value (o...

In Multiple Use Gear » Popsicle Toes
January 24, 6:43am

Re: Sunshine in the Deep South
Did I miss Parts 2 & 3? I had followed their trail journal but always liked the articles Balls wrote, but just realized I never saw the next installment.

In Editor's Roundtable » Sunshine in the Deep South
January 23, 9:02pm

Re: Is there a decent non-lightweight forum?
Hello there, Michael Ray! Kind of weird talking to myself. LOL. Thankfully, I found this site very early when I got into BPing finally at age 42. My first major trip had a base weight where you are...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Is there a decent non-lightweight forum?
January 22, 9:01am

Re: Re: Reccomend a camera for me. Quick please ;)
You can shoot the S100 in full manual mode, choosing ISO, shutter speed, aperture, focus, exposure compensation, flash compensation, white balance. Certainly not as fast to tweak it as a full-size ...

In Photography » Reccomend a camera for me. Quick please ;)
January 17, 8:48pm

All Reader Reviews by Michael Ray

Michael Ray has posted no reviews.