BPL Community Profile

Scott Bentz (scottbentz) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Southern California
About Me I live in the foothills of the San Gabriel Mountains. I can get to a lot of nice hiking areas right from my street or travel for 15 minutes to higher elevations in the Angeles National Forrest. I started packing again with my sons in their Boy Scout troop. I was definitely not light that first trip 6 years ago and have been reducing my pack weight ever since. I mainly pack a few times a year in the Eastern and Western Sierras.
My PDF Gear ListNorth Lake South Lake 2012

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Scott Bentz

Showing 161 - 170 of 432 | Page: 1 ...8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ...44

Forum » Thread

Calorie Counter
Brian, That is a very useful tool. Could you e-mail me a copy of the Excel file? Thanks, Scott

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » Boy Scout - Lunch Nutrition Calculator
May 21, 1:32pm

This could be a rescue...
I'll add one. Last summer my brother and I were doing a conditioning hike near our house. We hiked 10.5 miles up from the Jet Propulsion Laboratory to Switzers Campground in the Angeles Forest ...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » This could be a Rescue.....
May 20, 11:19am

JMT
I too hiked the JMT last summer. 14 days total including a lay over day at Vermillion. I posted a trip report a few weeks ago on that part of the forum. http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » JMT August
May 20, 11:09am

Bear Ropes
We took 2 lengths of Blue Amsteel 150' each. It was too much rope. I think 100; would be fine if you haven't already cut it down in half. Also, the rope is hard to work with when new. It...

In Philmont » Philmont Bear ropes
May 17, 5:57pm

Powdered Milk/Nido
I like to eat dry oatmeal with milk in the morning and also make some Carnation Instant Breakfast. My favorite way to do so is to mix the milk at night, submerse in a cold stream for use the next m...

In GEAR » Trail Food
May 11, 12:50pm

Trip Report Index
Thanks from me too!

In Post-Trip Reports » Trip Report Index
May 10, 12:53pm

Water Treatment
Chris, There are a number of posts relating to water treatment. Some are advocating using household bleach (chlorine) in CONJUCTION with a filter like the Frontier Pro. Find posts by Benjamin Ta...

In Gear Lists » Backpacker Going Lightweight
May 07, 1:37pm

Water
I only see the 3 liter Platy. I am not a fan of having all of my water in one source. I like to take one or two 1 Liter Platys and always have a 1 liter bottle to drink out of. The one I have been ...

In Gear Lists » Backpacker Going Lightweight
May 07, 11:30am

JMT Water Filtration
We used Chlorine Dioxide tablets last year along with a Steripen Journey. The Journey is nice to use when you want to drink at the source. I wouldn't rely on it as the only source as it tended ...

In GEAR » JMT Water Filtration
May 05, 5:24pm

I've Done It
I took a group from Horseshoe Meadows to Whitney to Portal a few years ago. We planned for 4 days of food, sharing a canister between 2 people. We repackaged everything we could, and took calorie d...

In GEAR » ? Options: 1 bear can for 2 x 4 days
May 03, 6:42pm

All Reader Reviews by Scott Bentz

Showing 1 - 1 of 1 | Page: 1

Review

Category

MSR MIOX
We used a MSR Miox on a trip with 9 people (Scouts). We got very spotty results and ended up playing with the unit more than we wanted. It seemed like the perfect solution but was not worth the wait. ...

In Hydration - Water Treatment
June 03, 5:04pm