BPL Community Profile

Samuel C. Farrington (scfhome) - BPL Premium Member

My Locale Chocorua NH, USA
About Me Samuel C. Farrington has not added a biography yet.

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Samuel C. Farrington

Showing 161 - 170 of 1594 | Page: 1 ...8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ...160

Forum » Thread

Warmlite 2C
At last check, the inner walls of the WL tunnel tents were not vapor permeable. But that may have changed. It would be a plus for the article to clarify this. Also at last check, the front and...

In Editor's Roundtable » Stephenson 2C Tent Review - Part 1
November 27, 8:38pm

Packacked foor weight
Tom and Paul, Sure. It will take some time to put together some menus and weights, so please give me until after the first of the year when there should be time. Will put it on the gear forum whe...

In Editor's Roundtable » Simplifying Expedition Food With Single Serving Sized Packages
November 27, 5:22pm

tent test
Thanks, Ed. Was waiting to post the link with test result, but you saved me the time. The tent is up and waiting, and no idea which way the giant old oak tree might fall. Was thinking if the bl...

In GEAR » Tent test time in the NE USA
November 26, 5:16pm

spaghetti vs noodles
Stuart, the noodles are most often shaped like spaghetti.

In Make Your Own Gear » You can make Spaghetti in less hot water quickly.
November 26, 5:02pm

"Just doesn't seem to be as big of an issue as you're making it out to be."
Good on you guys, but my experience has been totally the opposite. If only I had back the money that was spent on the buckets full of tangled poles in the basement. At least there are flick-locks ...

In GEAR » Why does no one talk about these poles?
November 26, 4:58pm

Fizan Concept
William, Re: "The problems with twistlocks for me were: 1) The pole sections have to be twisted to change the setting, which is very awkward if you're trying to adjust the height of your...

In GEAR » Fizan Concept trekking pole locking system - a rival to flicklocks?
November 26, 4:48pm

Tent test time in the NE USA
Nellie the weather lady at NECN says that coming up along the Atlantic coast now is a nasty rain storm, with 40-60 mph winds, that will last a day or so, with the temp just above freezing. A goo...

In GEAR » Tent test time in the NE USA
November 25, 8:52pm

pushbuttons
Greg, Hate being repetitious, but ... "Also have had and observed others with problems with many brands of pushbuttons. One is that over time, the buttons wear at the holes they project thro...

In GEAR » Why does no one talk about these poles?
November 25, 8:33pm

Concept poles
William, For years, every time a new twist-lock claimed to have overcome slipping, I bit. Not biting again. Finis.

In GEAR » Fizan Concept trekking pole locking system - a rival to flicklocks?
November 25, 8:25pm

Bottles
Billy Ray +10 Max 0

In GEAR » Ultralight Hard Bottle?
November 25, 8:20pm

All Reader Reviews by Samuel C. Farrington

Showing 1 - 10 of 10 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Marmot Rockstar Pant
These pants were purchased after trying a number of DWR, quick drying polyester and nylon products in search of lighter weight. However, all were very baggy, and none met the secondary goal of having ...

In Clothing - Wind & Soft Shell
May 12, 10:51pm

Mont Bell Ultra-Light Spiral Down Hugger #3 Long
Bought this shortly after the BPL review came out. It was my first down bag since the 70's. The outstanding DWR treatment shown in the review persuaded me that a down bag might work for me agai...

In Sleeping Bags - Mummy & Other
November 25, 8:09pm

Potable Aqua Iodine Drinking Water Germicidal Tablets
It is a good emergency item, because, as already pointed out, it takes up almost no weight or space. It addresses both the crypto and giardia if one waits the recommended times. Should the main wa...

In Hydration - Water Treatment
July 05, 11:13pm

Sealskinz Ultra Grip Black Glove
Tried them a few years ago for winter snowshoeing, which involved a lot of bushwacking. Clammy, wet, cold and eventually, frozen fingers. Just about anything else is better, even just leather. Am su...

In Clothing - Headwear, Handwear
January 07, 11:14pm

Montbell Super Stretch Down Hugger #3
Used the reg (not super) version of this bag for three weeks; one on Maine's Grafton Loop Trail in June at altitudes up to 3K', and two in Colorado's Rawahs in August at altitudes up to 12...

In Sleeping Bags - Mummy & Other
January 06, 11:10pm

Cocoon UL 60 Hoody and Pant
I have not had any problems with the stitching, and have found the product to be reasonably warm for its very light weight. Pockets might have been nice for handwarming, but if it is really cold, I c...

In Clothing - Insulating - Synthetic (Polarguard, Primaloft, etc.)
October 07, 12:06am

Lorpen Trekking Extreme Coolmax Socks
For anyone allergic to wool, or just looking for a fine coolmax sock, these are a good choice - 75% Coolmax, 15% Polyamide, 10% Lycra. Weight is 4.4 oz a pair in size Medium. They are a medium to he...

In Footwear - Boots, Shoes, Gaiters
August 25, 8:26pm

Remington RMHL2AAA-B
While I have always used hang lights in camp instead of headlamps, ordered this item because of Keith's excellent review. Was pleased to note that the beam was as bright and more even than the Ph...

In Lights - Flashlights & Headlamps
January 14, 8:34pm

MSR Mountain Safety Research HyperFlow microfilter
My understanding from this and other sites is that this filter is not effective after thawing once the element has been frozen. If this is not so, it would be helpful to have this corrected. Otherwi...

In Hydration - Water Treatment
March 01, 4:44pm

SnowPeak Gigapower LI
The only drawback for this stove was the lack of a windscreen, such that it did not perform efficiently in windy conditions. The manufacturer's screen sold separately is stainless steel, and on th...

In Stoves - Canister
November 15, 12:39am