BPL Community Profile

Samuel C. Farrington (scfhome) - BPL Premium Member

My Locale Chocorua NH, USA
About Me Samuel C. Farrington has not added a biography yet.

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Samuel C. Farrington

Showing 161 - 170 of 1551 | Page: 1 ...8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ...156

Forum » Thread

Hysol
Good find, Daryl. I could not find one less than $40, so just used my thumbs to push equal amounts out of each tube. Worked fine - actually more accurate, because if one tube is a little slow sec...

In Make Your Own Gear » Hysol at retail stores?
November 10, 7:47pm

Cuben eVent
John, re: " ... it has all just been a bunch of puff and smoke with no real substance ..." Hmmm, so we are being told that consumers, who are not trying to sell anything, just trying ...

In GEAR » Zpacks Waterproof Breathable Event Jacket
November 08, 8:43pm

Metallurgy
Tad, +1 on Roger's cautionary advice. Leave the metallurgy (heating etc.) to the pros. Fabricating with metals is another matter. 6061-T6 is a good metal for bending if the walls are thi...

In Make Your Own Gear » Metallury help needed for a MYOG Flash 30
November 08, 8:08pm

Cuben event
Beg to differ. The older model was a urethane based film according to many earlier posts. This one is eVent, so there's no telling (BPL reviews attest to there being some pretty lousy eVent o...

In GEAR » Zpacks Waterproof Breathable Event Jacket
November 08, 5:03pm

CP3s
So bought one pole. The weight, with the basket, is 5.9 oz to the nearest tenth of an ounce. The half inch twill tape for the strap is flimsy, but I seldom use the strap. So all depends on how w...

In GEAR » Locus Gear CP3 Poles - Initial Impression
November 08, 4:43pm

P
P

In User Test Forum » Pheonix
November 06, 9:09pm

Choices
My mistake, Franco. The forerunner of the Rainbow and a number of similar tents that have a long arc pole topped by perpendicular strut was the Pheonix Phreeranger, not Phreerunner. The names are ...

In GEAR » Question for TT Dbl Rainbow owners
November 06, 12:00am

Choices
John, I see there is an MSR Carbon Reflex 2 on Geartrade for around $250. Seven oz more than the DR, but it's a double wall tent. Haven't dealt with GT, but you might want to check it ou...

In GEAR » Question for TT Dbl Rainbow owners
November 05, 10:01pm

pot lid
Blimey, Stuart, what a great looking lid! Sometimes one has to just think of the skill it must have taken, and sigh.

In Make Your Own Gear » Making a Lid out of Alum. Flashing
November 04, 6:16pm

new pax
Looking at the photo of the larger pack on your 'model,' to get a fix on size, it's hard to imagine jamming over 40 lbs. of stuff into it. But if you've done that, and it's com...

In Make Your Own Gear » Two New Packs
November 04, 5:58pm

All Reader Reviews by Samuel C. Farrington

Showing 1 - 10 of 10 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Marmot Rockstar Pant
These pants were purchased after trying a number of DWR, quick drying polyester and nylon products in search of lighter weight. However, all were very baggy, and none met the secondary goal of having ...

In Clothing - Wind & Soft Shell
May 12, 10:51pm

Mont Bell Ultra-Light Spiral Down Hugger #3 Long
Bought this shortly after the BPL review came out. It was my first down bag since the 70's. The outstanding DWR treatment shown in the review persuaded me that a down bag might work for me agai...

In Sleeping Bags - Mummy & Other
November 25, 8:09pm

Potable Aqua Iodine Drinking Water Germicidal Tablets
It is a good emergency item, because, as already pointed out, it takes up almost no weight or space. It addresses both the crypto and giardia if one waits the recommended times. Should the main wa...

In Hydration - Water Treatment
July 05, 11:13pm

Sealskinz Ultra Grip Black Glove
Tried them a few years ago for winter snowshoeing, which involved a lot of bushwacking. Clammy, wet, cold and eventually, frozen fingers. Just about anything else is better, even just leather. Am su...

In Clothing - Headwear, Handwear
January 07, 11:14pm

Montbell Super Stretch Down Hugger #3
Used the reg (not super) version of this bag for three weeks; one on Maine's Grafton Loop Trail in June at altitudes up to 3K', and two in Colorado's Rawahs in August at altitudes up to 12...

In Sleeping Bags - Mummy & Other
January 06, 11:10pm

Cocoon UL 60 Hoody and Pant
I have not had any problems with the stitching, and have found the product to be reasonably warm for its very light weight. Pockets might have been nice for handwarming, but if it is really cold, I c...

In Clothing - Insulating - Synthetic (Polarguard, Primaloft, etc.)
October 07, 12:06am

Lorpen Trekking Extreme Coolmax Socks
For anyone allergic to wool, or just looking for a fine coolmax sock, these are a good choice - 75% Coolmax, 15% Polyamide, 10% Lycra. Weight is 4.4 oz a pair in size Medium. They are a medium to he...

In Footwear - Boots, Shoes, Gaiters
August 25, 8:26pm

Remington RMHL2AAA-B
While I have always used hang lights in camp instead of headlamps, ordered this item because of Keith's excellent review. Was pleased to note that the beam was as bright and more even than the Ph...

In Lights - Flashlights & Headlamps
January 14, 8:34pm

MSR Mountain Safety Research HyperFlow microfilter
My understanding from this and other sites is that this filter is not effective after thawing once the element has been frozen. If this is not so, it would be helpful to have this corrected. Otherwi...

In Hydration - Water Treatment
March 01, 4:44pm

SnowPeak Gigapower LI
The only drawback for this stove was the lack of a windscreen, such that it did not perform efficiently in windy conditions. The manufacturer's screen sold separately is stainless steel, and on th...

In Stoves - Canister
November 15, 12:39am