Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Roger Caffin (rcaffin) - BPL Staff

My Locale Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
About Me Research Scientist. Been walking all my life, mainly off-track - we don't have 'trails' here, and I always go with my wife. Summer and winter, lowland and highland, Australia and Europe. Forced into UL gear by heavy packs and increasing age. :-)
Example Gear List at http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/caffins_4_month_gear_list.html

BPL email: roger@backpackinglight.com
CitySydney
StateNSW
CountryAustralia
My Website URLhttp://www.bushwalkingnsw.org.au/FAQ/

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Roger Caffin

Showing 161 - 170 of 10521 | Page: 1 ...8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ...1053

Forum » Thread

Re: Re: Re: Re: Camping along Via Alpina in Switzerland
Hi Justin > How often are there designated camping areas in towns? Quite often. The thing to remember is that the Swiss have many hundreds of years experience (literally) at hosting visito...

In Pre-Trip Planning » Camping along Via Alpina in Switzerland
June 05, 4:06pm

Re: Re: Camping along Via Alpina in Switzerland
Hi Justin That was from memory, but I may be wrong. It may apply to other countries. I checked in my Cicerone Alpine Pass Route guidebook (highly recommended), and all it said was that off-si...

June 05, 4:20am

Re: Re: BRS-3000T cleaning and refurbishment, Part II
One of the 4 stoves I disassembled gave problems. The jet was too much smaller than 6 mm, so I used a machinist's clamp like this clamp to get a very tight grip as deep down as possible. I ...

In Editor's Roundtable » BRS-3000T stove Spotlite Review
June 05, 4:05am

Re: Potential breakthrough battery life extender? HAHA
800% ???? Pure unadulterated snake oil. OK, in deference to Bob, 'pure adulterated snake oil'... They also sell bridges and perpetual motion machines. Cheers

In GEAR » Potential breakthrough battery life extender?
June 04, 5:03pm

Re: Re: Vibration/Shock
Stock small baseplate compass. Thin string loop through hole in one corner (thick string usually included with compass). Fabric loop inside neck band at back of shirt, sometimes part of label Lo...

In GEAR » Compass Caddy on Kickstarter -- anyone seen this?
June 04, 5:01pm

Re: BRS-3000T cleaning and refurbishment, Part II
Hi Stephen An excellent write-up. Thank you. Using the handle to push the pin out - very clever! I did not think of that. Me, I just left the pin out there-after. Mind you, a bit of bent copp...

June 04, 3:51am

Re: Dream Material
Hi Lawson > A 20d Polyester with a 50d Dyneema/Spectra grid stop every 1/8". The fabric is hot > calendared and then silicone coated on both sides. Forgive me, but ... it will lea...

In Gear Deals » #Moonlight tent ...
June 03, 10:27pm

Re: Spicing it up, but still a serious question
Well, good question. Polypro does have some limitations: (quote from web) Low melting temperature which prevents it from being ironed like cotton, wool, nylon etc. Hard to be dyed after man...

In Gear Deals » #Moonlight tent ...
June 03, 6:39pm

Re: Re: BRS-3000T quality
Hi Adam > This is all enough to make me want to forget about using my two. I would not do that. Test the stove at home first by all means (always!), but all the ones I have work just fine fo...

June 03, 4:38pm

Re: Camping along Via Alpina in Switzerland
Hi Justin We camped some of the route a few years ago. But sometimes the weather sent us indoors, and sometimes stopping in a town gave less choice. But they often have a camping place in town. ...

June 03, 4:33pm

All Reader Reviews by Roger Caffin

Showing 1 - 4 of 4 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Skinny Skis, Jacksons Hole XC Skis
My wife and I had to re-equip with new XC skis, NNN-BC bindings and boots this year. We found several companies which could supply the models we were looking for and ship overseas (to Australia), and ...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
October 28, 3:08pm

Darn Tough Vermont Socks Customer Service
I got a pair of the DTV boot socks in a BGT Test. I gave them hell for four months. It didn't seem to have had any effect on them. Roland B is a very helpful guy too.

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
May 06, 3:53am

Coleman Exponent Xtreme Stove
I have been using the Xtreme in the snow for many years. I have never ever had any problems with it. It lights and runs completely reliably. It will run down to -26 C (-15 F) because the gas mix in t...

In Stoves - White Gas
October 24, 4:17pm

Snow Peak Gigapower Ti
I've used mine for ... many years now. I was initially irritated by the valve off position, but then I wondered: It is otherwise superbly made: what if the valve position is deliberate? Why would th...

In Stoves - Canister
December 29, 10:04pm