Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Roger Caffin (rcaffin) - BPL Staff

My Locale Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
About Me Research Scientist. Been walking all my life, mainly off-track - we don't have 'trails' here, and I always go with my wife. Summer and winter, lowland and highland, Australia and Europe. Forced into UL gear by heavy packs and increasing age. :-)
Example Gear List at

BPL email:
My Website URL

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Roger Caffin

Showing 161 - 170 of 10640 | Page: 1 ...8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ...1064

Forum » Thread

Re: Alcohol fuel - ethanol
> Is bio-ethanol a pure substance, or is it in some way denatured? Well, it's usually just ethanol that has been relabeled by the marketing spin doctors with a 'bio' prefix to make...

In GEAR » Alcohol fuel - ethanol
July 12, 4:31pm

Re: Uploading pictures and loss of resolution
Hi Kat It is my impression that when the ISP which hosts BPL downsizes an image to fit, the algorithm they use is really crappy. So I always reduce images mysef to about 800 pixels wide so they ...

In Website & Forum Admin/Support » Uploading pictures and loss of resolution
July 12, 4:27pm

Re: Shoe weight equivalent to weight on back
One source of this claim is part of an MSc thesis in Human and Applied Physiology, done at London University, 1982. The paper was published in the journal Ergonomics by S J Legg and A Mahanty. The ...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Shoe weight equivalent to weight on back
July 12, 4:21pm

Re: Re: A couple options
Plastic bags are not all that reliable. Powder tends to stick by electrostatic attraction. Then it goes everywhere 9sometimes). Paper and alfoil on the other hand are fine. A cone of paper is de...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » Is there a better way to get powder into a drinking container?
July 10, 4:48pm

Re: GR20 Questions - shoes, raingear
Joggers and ponchos seem to work fine for many. There are always dinosaurs around, anti-jogger and anti-poncho. Cheers

In GEAR » GR20 Questions - shoes, raingear
July 10, 12:29am

Re: Any such thing as a waterproof hiking short?
What a revolting sweaty idea! Just my 2c. Cheers

In GEAR » Any such thing as a waterproof hiking short?
July 09, 4:11pm

Re: Re: Re: Grant-writing scientist (non-climate) point of view
> Virtually all data is adjusted for some reason. Like for instance the weather station was in the open 10 years ago but is now shaded by a new building. To not correct for this would be to al...

In Chaff » The Carbon Flame War
July 09, 4:01pm

Re: Re: Would you wear this on a Sierra trip?
Debbie wrote: > Luckily by the time it started, I had put up my tent. And don't you feel just so happy when you are sitting inside your tent, making coffee or dinner, while that stuff co...

In GEAR » Would you wear this on a Sierra trip?
July 07, 4:23am

for Austin
'Etiquette' is always nice, but the posted Rules prevail. Bumping to get to the head of the queue is banned. The posting or the whole thread may get deleted. It is nice to edit your o...

In Gear Swap » Sellers: when your item sells, Edit your post, do not Reply to it
July 06, 5:42pm

Re: Rainfly Waterproofing Issues
> the rainfly had a slight tackiness and smell to it when I got it. That means the PU coating is dying. Sorry. No, we do not have any good means of 'repairing' decomposing PU coatings...

In GEAR » Rainfly Waterproofing Issues
July 06, 5:36pm

All Reader Reviews by Roger Caffin

Showing 1 - 4 of 4 | Page: 1

Skinny Skis, Jacksons Hole XC Skis
My wife and I had to re-equip with new XC skis, NNN-BC bindings and boots this year. We found several companies which could supply the models we were looking for and ship overseas (to Australia), and ...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
October 28, 3:08pm

Darn Tough Vermont Socks Customer Service
I got a pair of the DTV boot socks in a BGT Test. I gave them hell for four months. It didn't seem to have had any effect on them. Roland B is a very helpful guy too.

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
May 06, 3:53am

Coleman Exponent Xtreme Stove
I have been using the Xtreme in the snow for many years. I have never ever had any problems with it. It lights and runs completely reliably. It will run down to -26 C (-15 F) because the gas mix in t...

In Stoves - White Gas
October 24, 4:17pm

Snow Peak Gigapower Ti
I've used mine for ... many years now. I was initially irritated by the valve off position, but then I wondered: It is otherwise superbly made: what if the valve position is deliberate? Why would th...

In Stoves - Canister
December 29, 10:04pm