BPL Community Profile

Paul McLaughlin (paul) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Paul McLaughlin hasn't told us about their geographical region yet.
About Me Paul McLaughlin has not added a biography yet.

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Paul McLaughlin

Showing 161 - 170 of 867 | Page: 1 ...8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ...87

Forum » Thread

Re: Probe
The probe poles are pretty much worthless as probes because of the taper and the fittings for adjusting length. If you need a probe carry a probe, forget the probe poles.

In GEAR » Fizan compact for skiing?
October 26, 5:54pm

Re: Fizan compact for skiing?
I wouldn't say you were crazy but I'd suggest you be prepared for breakage. I've done a fair amount of backcountry touring and I'd say ski poles take a lot more abuse than hiking po...

In GEAR » Fizan compact for skiing?
October 26, 3:55pm

claims aside
Looking at the weight of the garments (12 oz jacket, 14 oz hoody, 9 oz vest) I don't see this as exciting. You can easily make a primaloft or Climashield garment the same weight or less and it ...

In Make Your Own Gear » Thermoball
October 23, 11:13am

Re: Beginner to winter backpacking...need help with layering
Start by adding a warm, in-camp-only layer for your legs. Seems like most folks will have more and warmer layers for the torso, and your list sounds like that's the case for you. Light down pan...

In Winter Hiking » Beginner to winter backpacking...need help with layering
October 21, 10:28pm

good for internal frames as well
I don't make frameless packs anymore(don't see the point when my stays are only 3 oz and they make life so much better), but I have always built my internal frame packs with contoured side ...

In Editor's Roundtable » MYOG: Contoured Side Panels for Improved Load Carry in Frameless Packs
October 16, 6:33pm

Re: Re: What would you have done?
Only once have I walked someone back to the right trail, and I did it more for my own sake than his. This was on top of Whitney at the end of a JMT thru-hike. My buddy and I were spending the night...

In Philosophy & Technique » What would you have done?
October 15, 6:18pm

"Redefine long-distance hike"
If I were you I would redefine long-distance hike to mean something on the order of a couple hundred miles. That gives you the freedom to schedule your hike to avoid the nasty stream crossings - wh...

In Pre-Trip Planning » PCT thru hike With my 5yr old along for the summer- Northbound or Southbound?
October 15, 5:55pm

sil or cuben floor?
Thinking of making a bivy sack, wondering about the floor. Familiar with silynlon in terms of slipperiness, but no experience with cuben. Is it less slippery than sil?

In Make Your Own Gear » sil or cuben floor?
October 13, 10:13pm

eVent fabric source
Have been looking and can't find a current retail source for eVent fabric. Specifically I'm looking for 3-layer, with the lightest face fabric I can find. Anybody know of a current source? ...

In Make Your Own Gear » eVent fabric source
October 11, 11:01pm

slick
nice design. I've bought fine stainless cable about that size or smaller, and the crimp fittings for it, at marine hardware stores in the past. Looks like that's all youd need plus the bind...

In Make Your Own Gear » hanging kit
October 11, 5:46pm

All Reader Reviews by Paul McLaughlin

Paul McLaughlin has posted no reviews.